Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pistol carbines for hunting?

VAspeedgoat

I have been looking at getting another pistol caliber carbine for plinking. I currently have a kel tech sub 2000 in 9mm. The whole family loves plinking with it so I was considering another or similar style. I could easily just get another 9mm and save some money on the gun and ammo but was wondering if anyone has ever tried them hunting, specifically deer under 100yds. The kel tech also comes in 40sw but others such as the ugly duckling, hi point carbine comes in 10mm and 45 ACP. Curious to get opinions and hopefully some real experience. Hunting is not the priority but it would expand on ways to use it.

I've heard that limp wristing can be an issue for some shooters with the 10mm, I've never shot a 10 though. 45 ACP as stood the test of time. Why not a .357 mag revolver? You could hunt with it and the family would enjoy shooting 38 special out of it. I would not try to kill a deer with a 9mm. I've seen a few videos of bullets bouncing off car windshields that were shot from a 9mm.

Last edited:
I've heard that limp wristing can be an issue for some shooters with the 10mm, I've never shot a 10 though. 45 ACP as stood the test of time. Why not a .357 mag revolver? You could hunt with it and the family would enjoy shooting 38 special out of it. I would not try to kill a deer with a 9mm. I've seen a few videos of bullets bouncing off car windshields that were shot from a 9mm.
Hammer has a 9mm bullet coming out that won't bounce off of anything. mtmuley

I like having a .357mag revolver and a .357mag marlin lever action. It's a nice pairing up at the cabin. Can plink with .38sp, and shoot deer out of a tree stand with .357mag. In the deep woods it can deal with coyotes, wolves and the small lazy black bears we have in our area if needed.

A lever action .357 is a good option.

You can still find used commercial copies of M1 carbines (Plainfield, Iver Johnson, Universal) for what you’d pay for a new 9mm carbine. I don’t know of a gun that’s more fun to shoot than the M1 carbine, and it will kill a deer at 100 yards.

Sure it will work. With the velocity increase over the pistols just look at the heavier bullets for the caliber. That should keep you from being over speed for the projectile.

I have a Ruger GP101 in .357 and a Ruger 77/357 Carbine. They are very handy here in Indiana. Many deer, yotes, whistle pigs, and small game have been taken with both.

I have a CMMG Banshee in .45acp, and I'd absolutely hunt with it if I had a crack at the right game in the right place. If you're considering 10mm, I'd look hard at the CMMG version, its radial delayed blowback and works great. But, the pistol caliber lever guns are the most fun, and probably most effective.

Beretta CX-4 Storm carbines are as good as it gets. They make them in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. You are only as limited as your ability to shoot iron sights or red dots, they are superbly accurate.

Since they are in the most common pistol cartridges, it is easy to carry a sidearm with you in the same cartridge. Even with pistol cartridges, they still get higher velocities than you will in shorter barrels.

They are a great companion to the pistol of your choice and caliber.

The only thing better would be a Colt Lightning/Colt SAA combination in 44-40...

D85CA190-23BC-4193-AA34-25EF111C0C3F.jpeg990D1D88-D5D3-4A5E-A6C1-B9CB0D383192.jpeg

My first new England deer rifle was a ruger carbine in .44 mag. Out to 100 yards it was awesome

I was thinking a semi auto but the lever guns have me thinking. However, from what I'm seeing they are as expensive as any autoloader.

Two of my favorite rifles are Trapper model 94 winchesters. Both have a 16” barrel. One is 44 mag one is 357. I’ve killed deer with both. May not be the carbine like you mean but they definitely fit the bill.
Z

Here in PA, it's a moot point, seeing as to they are not legal to hunt with.
PA is still "manually operated" for deer, & bear.

I actually just watched a "top 5" video on youtube yesterday on pistol carbines for under $500.

If i were to take a carbine hunting to match my pistol cartridge, i'd end up having to buy an AMT Hardballer. Kinda like the idea of 30 Carbine in a semi auto pistol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back