Pickup of the Future?

@Wildabeast ”We’re not going to go from 0 to 100% EV overnight. It will take many years, and the infrastructure will spend and adapt to the need over time.” 100% agree on this BUT folks will soon realize (if they haven’t started to already) that there is no free ride!

Just like with solar, you don’t “magically” hook to the grid and expect no consequence to the pocket book. As more and more additions to the role outs impact the distribution and/or transmission networks you’ll be seeing a shift and uptick to any fixed portion of you bills (typically read as fixed fee, service fee, meter fee, etc) as utilities look to cost recover for infrastructure a time where people goal is to reduce consumption.

Ya just can’t eat cost and lessen usage at the same time🤷🏻‍♂️

I think having a standardized interchangeable battery system will be paramount to charging stations. People driving long distances aren’t going to want to stop and wait for a charge, but if they can develop and market a battery that is easily removed and replaced with a fully charged one then I think the electric industry could take off.

I always find it interesting electric vehicles are touted as great for the environment, but if they are using electricity from a coal fired energy plant what is the real net carbon savings, if any? Sure they might not put pollution directly into the air but the source of electricity never gets mentioned in this discussion.

Price point seems fair to me, especially with the tax credit.
Agreed. This is what most large distribution type businesses already do with forklifts. You can swap a battery in the time it takes to fill my 36 gallon truck tank with gas.

Pretty hard to throw a thousand lb battery in the back like you can a jerry can though.

Pretty hard to throw a thousand lb battery in the back like you can a jerry can though.
The base F150 Lightning battery weighs 1,800 lbs. I'm not sure how much the Extended Range battery weighs, but I'm sure it's more than that.

I love the idea though.

@Wildabeast ”We’re not going to go from 0 to 100% EV overnight. It will take many years, and the infrastructure will spend and adapt to the need over time.” 100% agree on this BUT folks will soon realize (if they haven’t started to already) that there is no free ride!

Just like with solar, you don’t “magically” hook to the grid and expect no consequence to the pocket book. As more and more additions to the role outs impact the distribution and/or transmission networks you’ll be seeing a shift and uptick to any fixed portion of you bills (typically read as fixed fee, service fee, meter fee, etc) as utilities look to cost recover for infrastructure a time where people goal is to reduce consumption.

Ya just can’t eat cost and lessen usage at the same time🤷🏻‍♂️
Yep. I agree it all has to be paid for. Either utilities passing on the cost in your power bill or the Govt building out the infrastructure and passing it on via taxes. The is no free lunch.

Although I owned a Tesla for 6 years, put 60,000+ miles on it and never paid a dime for charging. I occasionally charged at home, but mostly charged for free at work or for free on Tesla’s supercharger network on longer road trips. So I sorta did get some free lunch 😉

Last edited:
Neighbor just bought one “the Plaid Edition” holy hell $150,000! That buys a lot of petrol. I drove it, accelerates like a friggin dragster (don’t think I cared for the steering “yoke”) but to me at the end of the day, it’s just another car.

Cars don’t excite me, hunting excites me. To each there own I guess…says the guy with the 2011 pickup 😉

Neighbor just bought one “the Plaid Edition” holy hell $150,000! That buys a lot of petrol. I drove it, accelerates like a friggin dragster (don’t think I cared for the steering “yoke”) but to me at the end of the day, it’s just another car.

Cars don’t excite me, hunting excites me. To each there own I guess…says the guy with the 2011 pickup 😉
Yeah, that price is crazy! And no $7500 tax credit either. I’ll taken the Rivian at half the cost and the tax credit on top of that all day.

Tesla’s major advantage is their charging network. It’s light years ahead of any other options, especially in the less populated parts of the country. That’s the biggest concern I have with being an early adopter of Rivian. Rivian has announced plans to build their own network, and Electrify America is expanding theirs, but it’s going to take time to get it all built out. In the meantime I will have some charging inconvenience to deal with and may need to upgrade the solar at my off-grid places so I can charge there at a somewhat meaningful pace.

Yeah, that price is crazy! And no $7500 tax credit either. I’ll taken the Rivian at half the cost and the tax credit on top of that all day.

Tesla’s major advantage is their charging network. It’s light years ahead of any other options, especially in the less populated parts of the country. That’s the biggest concern I have with being an early adopter of Rivian. Rivian has announced plans to build their own network, and Electrify America is expanding theirs, but it’s going to take time to get it all built out. In the meantime I will have some charging inconvenience to deal with and may need to upgrade the solar at my off-grid places so I can charge there at a somewhat meaningful pace.
I imagine before we get too far down the road, no pun intended, that we will need a federal law mandating that all charging stations and vehicles use the same plugs.

I imagine before we get too far down the road, no pun intended, that we will need a federal law mandating that all charging stations and vehicles use the same plugs.
Europe has already done this. And currently, every new EV made for the US uses the J-1440 standard for level 2 AC charging and CCS standard for DC high speed charging. Except Tesla. (n)

Yep, Elon’s “electric highway” is just that…Elon’s 🙄

Maybe he’ll go to a coin fed system…crypto only!
Apple's been doing things that way for years with no compromise. I bet Tesla does the same thing and it becomes as much of a status symbol as Apple products are: more money, marginally better, proprietary gadgets.

Saw one today driving. Gotta be honest, looked kinda weak compared to what I was expecting. Almost like a Honda Ridgeline.

Attachments

• DA33A386-6526-46DE-B19E-B32F6DC0F338.jpeg
    DA33A386-6526-46DE-B19E-B32F6DC0F338.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 17
Saw one today driving. Gotta be honest, looked kinda weak compared to what I was expecting. Almost like a Honda Ridgeline.
I’ve always thought the same and described it that way to people - looks like a Ridgeline. Although it may look “weak”, it’s not. At 835 HP, 906 Ft-lbs of torque, 11,000 lbs towing capacity and 0-60mph in ~3 seconds, it’s anything but weak. Call it a”sleeper” 😝

I’ve always thought the same and described it that way to people - looks like a Ridgeline. Although it may look “weak”, it’s not. At 835 HP, 906 Ft-lbs of torque, 11,000 lbs towing capacity and 0-60mph in ~3 seconds, it’s anything but weak. Call it a”sleeper” 😝
Would you honestly tow 11,00 pounds with one if those? mtmuley

Looks can be deceiving. 🤣 Those are some impressive numbers!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back