Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pickup of the Future?

Although I owned a Tesla for 6 years, put 60,000+ miles on it and never paid a dime for charging. I occasionally charged at home, but mostly charged for free at work or for free on Tesla’s supercharger network on longer road trips. So I sorta did get some free lunch 😉
Which is it?

"
I’ve not seen any that have an actual credit card reader on them. Instead you have an account with the charging provider and an access card with rfid chip or bar code that the charge reads. “Plug and Charge” standards are also rolling out where the car basically becomes your “card” and identifies itself to the charger which then knows to bill your account.

And some free chargers require an account as well. The ones at SLC airport are like that. You have to have a ChargePoint account and scan your ChargePoint card to use them, but it doesn’t charge you anything for it."

I don't think I have seen any full e vehicles here yet. They can't get here...
Folks do have hybreds and they sit at home most of the time. They also sit on the side of the road...axles and such for new parking lots.

I don't think I have seen any full e vehicles here yet. They can't get here...
Folks do have hybreds and they sit at home most of the time. They also sit on the side of the road...axles and such for new parking lots.
I saw a Tesla electric service van on the interstate in South Dakota last week. It looked like a pop can with wheels. You would get high centered on a road killed squirrel with the amount clearance it had. Drifting snow.........?

I saw a Tesla electric service van on the interstate in South Dakota last week. It looked like a pop can with wheels. You would get high centered on a road killed squirrel with the amount clearance it had. Drifting snow.........?
Snow? whats that? Bad drought.
I might have seen a tesla or some such zip by on the main hwy,but they had to be heading to a motel to charge on 25.

I saw ads for the Ford 4x4. Have never seen one and no ads on tv anymore. Anyone get one?

Snow? whats that? Bad drought.
I might have seen a tesla or some such zip by on the main hwy,but they had to be heading to a motel to charge on 25.

I saw ads for the Ford 4x4. Have never seen one and no ads on tv anymore. Anyone get one?
They can't get chips for the gas and diesel ford's right now.

Which is it?

"
I’ve not seen any that have an actual credit card reader on them. Instead you have an account with the charging provider and an access card with rfid chip or bar code that the charge reads. “Plug and Charge” standards are also rolling out where the car basically becomes your “card” and identifies itself to the charger which then knows to bill your account.

And some free chargers require an account as well. The ones at SLC airport are like that. You have to have a ChargePoint account and scan your ChargePoint card to use them, but it doesn’t charge you anything for it."
All of the above. There’s home charging where you simply pay for the cost of the electricity you use on your monthly power bill. Then there’s public charging - both free and paid for. What I meant by my statement is that I’ve never used a public charger that I had to pay for. Tesla’s supercharger networker is free if you bought your car before 2018 or so. So I never paid to supercharge when I was doing road trips and needed to do that. Additionally, my work had free chargers in the parking lots, so that’s where I mostly charged when I lived in NC and worked at an office. After moving to UT, I worked from home and didn’t have the option to charge at my condo, so I used a public charger down the road at the library or charged at the airport - both free. Many towns and shopping centers have free chargers, and there are apps that show you where all the chargers are and if they are free or paid.

So other than the infrequent times I charged at home and paid for the electricity in my power bill, I never paid to charge. With the Rivian it will be different. I’ll install a home charger and do most of my charging there since I no longer have convenient access to a free public charger.

I have a reservation for one, but likely won’t convert it to a purchase. It was plan B if things didn’t pan out with Rivian. I reserved within minutes of the site opening up, and it looks like the earliest I would get one would be late this year or early next. They had over 100,000 reservations or something like that the day they started taking them. They’ve started shipping them, but I haven’t seen one yet. They look so much like a regular F150 that I don’t know that it would catch my eye if I did come across one. Only difference really is the front nose.

Have only seen pictures, but it just doesn't "look" like it could tow much. 11,000 would really deplete the battery fast I bet. mtmuley
Agree. The guys that did the test in CO did it twice to see impact of weight vs aerodynamics. First test was 1500# of sandbags on a 1500# flatbed trailer. Reduced range by 50%. Second was just the trailer with no sandbags (so just the trailer weight as load), but they put vertical sheets of plywood against the dropgate to produce more wind drag. That test resulted in 65% loss of range. So aerodynamics really has as much impact as weight. It’ll be interesting to see how those WY headwinds impact mine (with or without a trailer)!

Joe will be lucky if his daughter does not sell him off to an offshore conglomerate. She learned from papa good.

News flash! There are factories here that are sitting idle. Because.

Joe will be lucky if his daughter does not sell him off to an offshore conglomerate. She learned from papa good.

News flash! There are factories here that are sitting idle. Because.
Because the vast majority of America values lower prices over made in ‘merica. It’s easy to blame the gummit for everything, especially when it absolves the citizenry of any responsibility for the situations they create.

Because the vast majority of America values lower prices over made in ‘merica. It’s easy to blame the gummit for everything, especially when it absolves the citizenry of any responsibility for the situations they create.
Because that's capitalism, competition drives everything and the consumer making decisions that only benefit them. That's how it's supposed to work.

Prices going up everywhere, not just 'merica.

“Range extender” will be interesting. I’m curious how they will implement that, and whether it’s any better than throwing a gas generator into the bed of the truck on the rare occasion one would need the extra range.

Screenshot_20220328-160807_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hopefully a Range Extender is a viable alternative because a Honda 2000w generator is only going to give you about 16 amps so you'd charge for an hour and drive for three minutes.

That would be a pretty terrible way to travel across the country.

Last edited:
View attachment 217139

Hopefully a Range Extender is a viable alternative because a Honda 2000w generator is only going to give you about 16 amps so you'd charge for an hour and drive for three minutes.

That would be a pretty terrible way to travel across the country.
I have a portable tri-fuel 10kW generator, so it can output 40 amps (32 amp continuous) at 240v. But that’s still only ~16 miles per hour of charge on a full size truck. Might be viable for charging while backcountry camping, but not for any type of stop-charge-go use cases. It’ll be interesting to see how Dodge implements this. If it can charge while you drive, then that might be Something to consider. My gut says Dodge is late to the EV game, so they are looking for ways to differentiate as they play catch up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back