Pick Me a Mule

I want HIP#11 some good looking mules on there glad I'm not in Wyoming I'd be tempted to spend some money. If you're looking for a young one I like #29.

If you want to bid on a riding mule, plan on cashing in a chunk of your retirement fund before the auction. Very expensive! Should be able to buy a couple of horses for the same $$$. Much easier to find saddles that fit horses. Easier to find = cheaper. Generally speaking, horses are much easier to shoe than mules. Again, easier = cheaper.

Man, if I was in the market for a new saddle mule I would be looking at something other than the opinions of a few keyboard warriors sifting through an online catalog.

If you want to bid on a riding mule, plan on cashing in a chunk of your retirement fund before the auction. Very expensive! Should be able to buy a couple of horses for the same $$$. Much easier to find saddles that fit horses. Easier to find = cheaper. Generally speaking, horses are much easier to shoe than mules. Again, easier = cheaper.
Top 3 mules went for 52k, 52k, and 48k at the sale last year. No, they aren't cheap. Also can't die with your money so why not spend it on a mule?

Man, if I was in the market for a new saddle mule I would be looking at something other than the opinions of a few keyboard warriors sifting through an online catalog.
Jake Clark and his sale have probably the best reputation of any one mule guy/auction in the West.

That said, mules are mules and riders come in all skill and knowledge levels. Equines are not a discipline where aggressive spending can guarantee better performance more than 25% of the time.

It's like buying a custom rifle, except this rifle can kick ya when you are being an idiot....

Beats arguing about the shitty politicians that are running our country these days. Do you like any of the mules in the sales catalog?

they typically have about the best selection in the west of proven mules. a number of outfitters sell thru there and have stellar reputation

buy the ugliest been there done that type of mule, no need to pay for chrome or spots,,,
ive bought a few there,,,,,
some people are mule proof, most mules are people proof, something to that effect , an old packer told me when i was learning mule packing and riding from him,,,,

Top 3 mules went for 52k, 52k, and 48k at the sale last year. No, they aren't cheap. Also can't die with your money so why not spend it on a mule?
That's four, maybe five hunting trips to Africa. A mule can die tomorrow from cholic for no discernable reason. Or get crippled by another mule's kick. Etc, etc. The memories of my trips to Africa will not die. And I don't have to keep feeding them, shoeing them, vet bills, etc, etc. I'm a former owner of pack horses for a couple of decades in the 70s and 80s. Back then it was a LOT more affordable than today. It was a time that I do not regret in the least. But times have changed. Still have all my tack and some days I dream of getting back into it. But I know it would not be the same. I'm an old man now and the backcountry has also aged ... in many undesirable and disgusting ways. I can easily afford to get back into it and probably still just barely tough enough to shoe my own livestock, but the end result would break my heart.

That's four, maybe five hunting trips to Africa. A mule can die tomorrow from cholic for no discernable reason. Or get crippled by another mule's kick. Etc, etc. The memories of my trips to Africa will not die. And I don't have to keep feeding them, shoeing them, vet bills, etc, etc. I'm a former owner of pack horses for a couple of decades in the 70s and 80s. Back then it was a LOT more affordable than today. It was a time that I do not regret in the least. But times have changed. Still have all my tack and some days I dream of getting back into it. But I know it would not be the same. I'm an old man now and the backcountry has also aged ... in many undesirable and disgusting ways. I can easily afford to get back into it and probably still just barely tough enough to shoe my own livestock, but the end result would break my heart.
I don’t think he asked for financial advice. 😉

Back