Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Pick Me a Mule

Great looking mules. I think for those prices I'll be riding my grade mares for a while.

There are some Amish guys back in the Midwest that break mules and sell them for a pretty fair price. I'll try to find a link

high sales and ave sales price two different things,,, 7500 will buy a nice broke older mule without spots or chrome,

exactly no interest in going to africa, did the alaska hunting thing, for me my fondest memories are watching the sun come up over some isolated basin, a bull bugles and the chase is on,,,, i rode and packed a pair until they were in there late 30 and early 40 yrs of age, numerous game animals were taken because of them and were packed with them, most i would of never walked that far, or camped so easy, not saying the horse mule argument doesnt exist , ive had many of each,
to each his own,
new trucks, toys, boob jobs for your 3rd wife, ect, gonna spend your money on something, my mentor was well into his 70,s and maybe 80 during our mule packing elk killing days, besides the trips all summer, those are memories, for me,

I'm a former owner of pack horses for a couple of decades in the 70s and 80s. Back then it was a LOT more affordable than today. It was a time that I do not regret in the least. But times have changed.
I don't recommend it for folks that don't want the whole year long stock ownership experience. You gotta want to be out riding 12 months a year, all summer and Fall to really get the benefit.

I estimate the cost for a pack string of 3 head to be:
Stock Purchase $12,000 (amortized over 5 years) $2400 per year
Tack purchase $1000.(amortized over 10 years) $100 per year
Trailer purchase for 3 head trailer $10,000 (amortized over 10 years) $1000
Annual hay for 3 head ($6 per head per day at $400 per ton 30# per day) $3250 for 180 days $6480 for 360 days
Annual health care $350 per head for teeth, vaccination and worming $1050
Training and Events throughout the year (poker rides, clinics, shows,) $900.00
Mileage cost for 12 - 150 mile round trips per year $1125 per year

$8925 =$9175 annually (enough to do a guided elk hunt each year)

I guess I never realized how expensive mules are! I like the idea of a young one. Can be utilized for many years!

Here is the Salmon sale for this year. Need to look it over more closely.

Look for some more of the competition videos. A mule race, mounted shooting on mules, roping on mules, guys packing strings over the trail corse, Mules in arena shows it would be a fun one. You should really get to see what you are buying.

Jump to 2 min mark

I'm kind of biased to my cousin and her husband's outfit, Petersen Mule Company out of Montpelier ID. They have put out some amazing stock the last few years and had some of the top mules sold at Jake Clark in years past.

high sales and ave sales price two different things,,, 7500 will buy a nice broke older mule without spots or chrome,

exactly no interest in going to africa, did the alaska hunting thing, for me my fondest memories are watching the sun come up over some isolated basin, a bull bugles and the chase is on,,,, i rode and packed a pair until they were in there late 30 and early 40 yrs of age, numerous game animals were taken because of them and were packed with them, most i would of never walked that far, or camped so easy, not saying the horse mule argument doesnt exist , ive had many of each,
to each his own,
new trucks, toys, boob jobs for your 3rd wife, ect, gonna spend your money on something, my mentor was well into his 70,s and maybe 80 during our mule packing elk killing days, besides the trips all summer, those are memories, for me,
What’s your problem with boob jobs….

Back