Caribou Gear

Physical force to terminate suspected trespass

brian flatlander

What the hell is this. So im hunting on blm, dirtbag outta stater hater ranchhand shows up claims i'm on his ranch gets physical , i have a gun i feel threatened now what happens?????????????????????????

What the hell is this. So im hunting on blm, dirtbag outta stater hater ranchhand shows up claims i'm on his ranch gets physical , i have a gun i feel threatened now what happens?????????????????????????

that's why it's pure dog chit legislation.

ranchers are going to feel empowered to take matters into their own hands in terms of physicality. nobody is going to read the law where it caveats nothing in here supersedes normal self defense laws.

i feel like it's going to really allow a catalyst for a lot of situations to get out of hand really fast. just imagine if the elk mountain ranch manager felt he was totally justified to "physically terminate" his "trespassers" .... whatever TF that means. and, further, without there being an actual assessment of if they were even trespassing. we might be having some very different forum threads about all of it.

it seemed the elk mountain manager felt he was legally justified in harassing them. so what if now these ranch managers feel they are legally justified in "physically removing" them. even if only under their own assessment of "trespassing"

with how brazen some landowners already are, this legislation could really give some of them the wrong impression of what they think they can now do.

Imagine you accidently wander onto someone's private property. It can happen, even to those of us who are ultra cautious. Now they can use "force" to remove you! Scary....

We're on it...send emails to the Senate TRW and if a WY resident your Senator and Representatives.

If its heard in the Senate TRW, myself and others will be in person to testify against it. Sad part is, it already passed out of the House...bad legislation that needs to go away.

HB 147 - Update: WY BHA Supports

Last week HB 147 passed overwhelmingly out of the House 61-1. It has now been introduced in the Senate and is expected to receive its first Senate hearing in the coming days.

This bill will ensure hunters and anglers in Wyoming can report illegal "no trespass" signs on public lands to Game & Fish, protecting our Constitutional right to hunt and fish and protecting legal access to public lands.

Please contact your Senator and ask them to vote YES on HB 147 if you haven't already done so.

If you don't know your legislators or their contact info you can find their info here. We encourage you to call your legislators to ask for their support, but if you don't have time you can also use our action tool here to send an email.

The WY Chapter is putting a good deal of energy behind this bill because we believe it's important to ensure the public's ability to access public lands from public lands without the threat of harassment.

HB 126 Update: WY BHA Opposses

HB 126 - Trespass-removal of trespasser authorizes land owners to use physical force if they believe someone is trespassing on their property.

WY BHA supports the prosecution of people who knowingly and willfully trespass and/or cause damage to private lands, but we strongly believe in due process and that conflicts arising around trespass are best handled by law enforcement professionals.

We believe it is important to find policy solutions to trespass issues that provide clarity around existing statute, which protect the rights of public and private land owners, and which help to deescalate potentially dangerous situations. We don't believe HB 126 achieves any of these objectives.

Please contact your Senator and ask them to vote NO on HB 126 if you haven't already done so.

If you don't know your legislators or their contact info you can find their info here.

Thank You!

Wyoming BHA Board
http://www.backcountryhunters.org/

Last edited:
So what are the potential penalties if they physically remove you and they are then found to be in the wrong?

heck if i know. given the lack of hunter harassment charges in carbon county my guess is nothing

"oh so you only thought he was trespassing even though he wasnt before you physically removed him?"

"yes sir"

"well, its the thought that counts. have a good one!"

SD HB1186, if it passes, requires you to pay the landowner $150 if you trespass. Guess that would be a better "bad" idea than getting shot!!

We're on it...send emails to the Senate TRW and if a WY resident your Senator and Representatives.

If its heard in the Senate TRW, myself and others will be in person to testify against it. Sad part is, it already passed out of the House...bad legislation that needs to go away.

HB 147 - Update: WY BHA Supports

Last week HB 147 passed overwhelmingly out of the House 61-1. It has now been introduced in the Senate and is expected to receive its first Senate hearing in the coming days.

This bill will ensure hunters and anglers in Wyoming can report illegal "no trespass" signs on public lands to Game & Fish, protecting our Constitutional right to hunt and fish and protecting legal access to public lands.

Please contact your Senator and ask them to vote YES on HB 147 if you haven't already done so.

If you don't know your legislators or their contact info you can find their info here. We encourage you to call your legislators to ask for their support, but if you don't have time you can also use our action tool here to send an email.

The WY Chapter is putting a good deal of energy behind this bill because we believe it's important to ensure the public's ability to access public lands from public lands without the threat of harassment.

HB 126 Update: WY BHA Opposses

HB 126 - Trespass-removal of trespasser authorizes land owners to use physical force if they believe someone is trespassing on their property.

WY BHA supports the prosecution of people who knowingly and willfully trespass and/or cause damage to private lands, but we strongly believe in due process and that conflicts arising around trespass are best handled by law enforcement professionals.

We believe it is important to find policy solutions to trespass issues that provide clarity around existing statute, which protect the rights of public and private land owners, and which help to deescalate potentially dangerous situations. We don't believe HB 126 achieves any of these objectives.

Please contact your Senator and ask them to vote NO on HB 126 if you haven't already done so.

If you don't know your legislators or their contact info you can find their info here.

Thank You!

Wyoming BHA Board
http://www.backcountryhunters.org/
Thank you, Buzz!

We have a law that requires trespassers to provide identification to the landowner if he requests it. How about y'all start with that before legislating for gun fights at corner pins

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back