PEAX Equipment

Pawn Shop Guns

Rooster52

Anyone look at Pawn Shops for firearms ? I recently bought two Browning rifles at a very low price at a Pawn Shop. A rather large shop is about 70 miles from my place and I have to stop when I get close.They do not like holding firearms over 90 days ,thoughs that are over that they cut the price by as much as %50.

I pick up a good deal every so often. Mostly I see guns that are marked up way too high though.

I've only bought one gun from a pawn shop, but I came out smelling like a rose. I bought double barreled shotgun by a not very well known European manufacturer. At the time the internet did not exist and it was difficult to get any information on the gun. I hung onto the shotgun for a few years and once the internet became popular I was able to learn more about the gun. Turns out I got a screaming good deal. I sold it for nearly 5 times what I paid for it. While I didn't know it was going to be worth that much, I did know they had it way under priced, just by the quality of the workmanship and the gold inlaid engraving. Sometimes it pays to recognize quality craftsmanship even if you don't know the gun maker all that well.

no deals on used guns around me.I dobetter dealing direct with the guns owner before they go pawn it

Try living in a town with one of the best gunsmithing schools in the country.
Very very seldom is a deal to be had. All the students and other gun enthusiasts deals do not hang out very long.

Same sad song here in the Springs. I have looked a few times and they want basically retail. I get better deals at my gun shop....shameless plug for them....The Shootin Den :)

Do not look. I might buy Do not use the guns I have.

An old rifle might catch my eye and would pay too much!

When you can gouge a pawn shop, you know you're good.

I've gouged plenty.

Travis

I picked up a very nice 700 Remington in a 257 Roberts with a Redfield scope last year for about 1/2 of its market value. This dealer is good if he knows you.

I got a nice and long awaited Remington model 600 in .243 with a Redfield "Widefield" scope at a good price because the pawnshop owner was retiring. It was the ONLY time I ever saw a deal in a pawnshop. Usually, you can buy a new gun for what they want for a beat-up abused one.

When you can gouge a pawn shop, you know you're good.

I've gouged plenty.

Travis

Last time I was in Leon's they wanted 2K for a model 70 class sporter because it was chambered in a "rare" cartridge -- 300 Wby.

I just about died laughing

Yeah. NOT the shop to seek out a bargain.

You know one of them was just convicted of embezzlement or something? I read about it in the paper recently. Something to do with the rez.

Dave

A longtime usury institution downtown here liquidated their stock around 5 years ago. They had also been dealers for many high end rifles and frequent booth runners at gun shows as well. The owner was a crusty hard trading gentleman who could look you in the eye, quote a stiff price, and never blink. During the last few weeks of liquidation he started rotating his backroom rifles to the shelves and I bought a NIB Finnlite 85 300 wing mag for 1300 bucks....felt like I'd stolen it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back