Pants for hunting in NM or AZ (not that cold)

nuevo_eph

What pants are people wearing for hunting in the southwest?

I'm trying to find some breathable yet durable ones for less than a $100 and keep coming back to Cabela's Microtex. I have no problem with just buying normal, non-hunting brown or tan pants that can work as an outer shell over a baselayer or just go by themselves if needed.

When I hunt it seems we start off around 30 and the days can get up to 60 easily, meaning insulated is not necessary. AND I seem to find myself scrambling over rocks and cactus often, gotta love NM.

These look like decent non-camo options from Cabelas: http://preview.tinyurl.com/mz95z77

I have a couple pairs of 511 tactical pants I hunt in if its a little on the warm side . They are pretty light weight, durable and around $50 on sale. Microtex are tough to beat also. I like Sitka Acent pants too but are in the $150 range.

Sitka Ascent when I hunted NM. On my AZ Elk hunt I wore camo shorts with gators. I used the shorts combo last year here in OR also. It's now my "go to" setup for archery hunting. Way way cooler than even a "breathable" pant like the Ascent.

Last edited:
Sitka Ascent when I hunted NM. On my AZ Elk hunt I wore camo shorts with gators. I used the shorts combo last year here in OR also. It's now my "go to" setup for archery hunting. Way way cooler than even a "breathable" pant like the Ascent.

That would definitely be about as breathable as you can get! I like the Duluth pants, I hadn't heard of them but they seem to be popular.

I've hunted in my sitka mountain paints from twenty degrees all the way to eighty soo very versatile

I've never hunted NM but BDU summers are about as durable as you can get and still lightweight.

I just bought some Sitka Early Season Whitetail pants for $60 that I am anxious to try. they sure seem nice in my living room....

I must hunt in some different places in New Mexico than most of you guys.

Lots of thorny, sticky, poky things that like to scratch you and make you bleed. Of course I don't generally spend much time on any kind of trails either. I got rid of my ascent pants because they just didn't offer enough protection. The mountain pants are adequate as well as my kuiu guide pants, but some things even penetrate them.

I'm still picking grass burrs out of the cuffs of my mountain pants after my last mulie hunt in the sand hills. I swore to myself I wasn't going back without gaiters next time.

What size you wear? I just posted some XXL ASAT pants in the classifieds that are fairly lightweight and durable.

Some guys realy like the LL Bean guide pants!! Check them out for sure around $70. Luke Moffet from Alaska loves them. If you do a search you may be able to find his review on them.

I'm a fan of Microtex and just about any all nylon pant that doesn't zip off for hot weather. I've gotten a lot of use out of REI Adventures Pant
http://www.rei.com/product/877607/rei-adventures-pants-mens-34-inseam

I don't like zip offs for two reasons. 1. I'm highly unlikely to hunt in shorts (though there is one picture of me doing so) and 2. I'm fat and my legs rub and the zipper makes this worse.

What size you wear? I just posted some XXL ASAT pants in the classifieds that are fairly lightweight and durable.

Hi Colberjs, I'm a semi-skinny dude that wears 34/34 to 36/34 depending on cut.

Lots of great options out here - I need to narrow down the list now! I'm with npaden - you need something a little tough depending on the unit. I'm a big fan of gaiters due to those dried out Fall burrs, too.

My wife just ran a trail race down in Las Cruces, and I was surprised to see how many of the ultramarathoners were running in gaiters. After she had a minor run-in with a cactus on the trail I bet she's going to be a fan now, too.

Light weight wool dress pants from Salvation Army. Cost is under $10, quiet, all the advantages of wool. Durability is adequate (buy a spare pair). If the elk is close enough to see that you are not wearing camo pants, shoot it.

Nathan knows his NM hunting and is spot on - the arid country and plants that grow in New Mexico will shred a lot of gear. The best luck I've had with pants for hunting nearly every region of NM is with the Sitka Ascent Pants and the First Lite Kanab pants. The Sitka Ascents are great for warmer weather hunts and desert hunting and remarkably durable. Downside is they stink after a day of solid hiking and everything penetrates them. First Lite Kanab pants are comfortable and very durable. Positive is they are also extremely quiet when stalking (don't make noise when brushing up against branches or brush) and don't stink like synthetics. Negatives for me are they can get a little warm when hiking in hot temperatures and they are a little baggy in their cut than other mountain hunting styled pants. I wore a pair of Kuiu Guidepants when they first came out and shredded them in a single week in the Gila. A few of my buddies do beat the hell out of their Kuiu gear in the desert and do not shred it - so I may have had a bad pair. Lighweight pants are also great for late season hunts when combined with a good base-layer. They allow you to hike in the snow without sweating to death like you would in highly insulated pants that are better suited to sitting.

My thoughts on gators are that they are too noisy to warrant their use in dry, warm country. I would rather pull cactus quills out of my legs and ass than blow a stalk on a big animal because the sound of walking with my gators on gave me away. We will see some new gators hit the market here soon that should be quiet, but I have no desire to tread around in fleece gators in early September. I live in gators during my late season hunts, but that's a function of staying dry while hunting in lightweight pants in snow. I'm more concerned with covering country and glassing than I am sitting all day in one spot.

Real men don't hunt NM with any pants on,

Cody

I must hunt in some different places in New Mexico than most of you guys.

Lots of thorny, sticky, poky things that like to scratch you and make you bleed. Of course I don't generally spend much time on any kind of trails either. I got rid of my ascent pants because they just didn't offer enough protection. The mountain pants are adequate as well as my kuiu guide pants, but some things even penetrate them.

I'm still picking grass burrs out of the cuffs of my mountain pants after my last mulie hunt in the sand hills. I swore to myself I wasn't going back without gaiters next time.

Cheapo military surplus desert camo. I like that they have big deep pockets that keep everything in when you sit down. No need to spend $100 or more to have "designer" camo.

I wear Microtex in outfitter camo mostly. Mine are 10 yrs old now and still in one piece. Light,dry quick,and very durable.
I got long unhemmed ones that fit me,and put draw strings in hem with little cord lock,paracord for drawstring. Pants don't rub or flop around and get caught or drag on ground.
I'm in SW NM but have hunted elsewhere too.
Some places even Carharts and Duluth pants get shredded,LOL! Like my ranch/home,Hah.
Rain gear acts as storm layer or warmth at times.
Cold,I wear wool. Or Berber windproof Fleece for insulation. Great stuff but it picks up every sticker there is............
I have gaiters for soaking rain or winter,haven't worn them in couple years.

I get used to the occational cacti thorn,yucca thorn,brush thorn, stuck in me. Knee pads for any crawling.............
Oh ,did I mention NM's famous Gila rocks?

Last edited:
Shop around and you will be surprised at the deals you can get on the best gear.
If you do your homework you can buy great gear for incredibly low prices. Well worth being patient and frugal. Don't buy junk when you can buy the best at discount prices.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back