Pants for hunting in NM or AZ (not that cold)

Sytes is spot on. Camofire is an awesome resource for every hunter. Sierra Trading Post also has great deals on hunting and outdoor gear. Also make a point of checking the larger retailers sales for some great deals. Many hunting gear makers also offer pro discounts for law enforcement and military. Lots of great deals out there - you just have to hunt them down.

Camofire is a favorite of mine... https://camofire.com/ They have various clothing and hunting items.

C4E, Sitka, etc. Usually last year's models, etc... Gear, etc.

What I like about camofire is the "forum" they have where you can often get deals from previous days just by asking. Cool place.

tru-spec 24/7 are the best all around hunting pants, mainly because work buys them for me. i will still tell you they are perfect for better than 80% of my hunting. they have a good stretch waist but are inch sized so they fit great. i wear 1 size to big and they easily accommodate some thermals or liners. they are Teflon coated so water usually runs right off and have plenty of pockets and seems to last. they dry fast if they do get wet. i have some pairs that are 5+ years old that have been through multiple deployments and probably washed 500+ times and all zippers/buttons and Velcro are still going strong. i know they only cost $40-50 per pair but they are more than enough feature wise and way more durable then most "technical hunting" pants. i will add the more you wash them the better they breath, every year spray them with waterproofer and you will love them

Ok, I just made an impulse buy from Amazon for the Tru-spec pants. We'll see in a few days. I may also try to get some of those Duluth Trading Co pants down the road, too.

I hunted in south Texas when was in 80Fs. Wore gaiters over lightweight long camo pants. I used walking sticks for the steep stuff and found on the level in the prickly pear and agave that I could use the walking stick to anchor then pry the cactus and agave to the side a bit so could navigate without losing that much blood. I had to zig zag dong this but ended up with minimal blood loss and embedded torn tips. Never saw rattlesnakes on the Texas hunt but have in NM and AZ on most warm hunts.

Update on the Tru-spec pants from Amazon:

I took them out on a 10 mile hike both on and off trail and they performed very well. The fit is REALLY great thanks to the well-done elastic waist that just stretches as you put them on and then pulls back in to be nicely snug once everything is in place. I can see how some people claim these to be the most comfortable pants of this type. They provided the right amount of protection against the 40-50 degree temps I walked around in and they shrugged off the snow and drizzle I got, too. For build quality in a $34 pair of pants I'm somewhat impressed although there were a few loose threads here and there.

All in all this would be what I am looking for except for a few niggling details:

1) I wish it had more zippered pockets instead of the heavy duty velcro closures. They cannot be opened without getting fairly loud.

2) Speaking of noise, the pants definitely aren't very quiet. The fabric tends to "swoosh" a bit as you walk. It isn't quite loud, but it was noticeable at first. However, during my 10 mile hike I never noticed it much.

I will continue to try them and maybe even buy another pair if I don't try out some of the other options. The jury's still out on whether I would want to hunt up close with them, but they would certainly do well for a longer rifle hunt and are really great for hiking.

been hunting az since 1982, only think I ever where is blue jeans and a dark t shirt. usually have a al shirt on over that for those who remember tool time.
if it gets cold which is rarely I throw on a jacket. when the sun comes out even on the north rim during winter it gets hot jacket goes in daypack.

Delw

Camofire like was said is amazing wingsupply is great amazon is my fall back they have light weight everything if you surf amazon krypteck vertex pants 85$

Update on the Tru-spec pants from Amazon:

I took them out on a 10 mile hike both on and off trail and they performed very well. The fit is REALLY great thanks to the well-done elastic waist that just stretches as you put them on and then pulls back in to be nicely snug once everything is in place. I can see how some people claim these to be the most comfortable pants of this type. They provided the right amount of protection against the 40-50 degree temps I walked around in and they shrugged off the snow and drizzle I got, too. For build quality in a $34 pair of pants I'm somewhat impressed although there were a few loose threads here and there.

All in all this would be what I am looking for except for a few niggling details:

1) I wish it had more zippered pockets instead of the heavy duty velcro closures. They cannot be opened without getting fairly loud.

2) Speaking of noise, the pants definitely aren't very quiet. The fabric tends to "swoosh" a bit as you walk. It isn't quite loud, but it was noticeable at first. However, during my 10 mile hike I never noticed it much.

I will continue to try them and maybe even buy another pair if I don't try out some of the other options. The jury's still out on whether I would want to hunt up close with them, but they would certainly do well for a longer rifle hunt and are really great for hiking.

i bet you could have a local seamstress add some zippers, as far as noise it gets better with repeat washes, and they will breath a little better after a few washes. for the cost beat the hell out of them and i bet in the end your impressed especially for the $

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back