Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Outta shape huntin buddies

When I hunt and whoever I hunt with.......I tell them this is what I am doing. We are hunting on own and this is where you need to be and I'll see you at lunch or back at the truck after dark. I have hunted private land for the last 10 years. I could drive the ATV back to our hunting location but we all hoof it back over a mile and hunt from that point. That seems to work well for us and if someone doesn't agree well they could find another location to hunt. Good Luck.

If you are worrying about it now, then what you think is going to happen, will happen. I've had the same issue on a few hunts over the last few years. Now I just tell whoever is wanting to go on a hunt with me that they need to have their own transportation. So that when after two days they can't walk anymore, they can just go home, and you won't need to drive them there.

I think a lot of guys think it's like hunting whitetails at home. You might just need to branch off on your own and let the mountains kick their butts.

I have 2 BIL's coming with me for their first western hunt this year, Wyoming antelope. Tags are already paid for, so I know they are serious about it. Shouldn't have to worry about being in mountain shape, but 1 of them asked me the other day if he should bring his climbing stand.. I don't think he knows exactly what to expect :)

:eek: Genesis 273 I forgot to tell you to bring a climbing stand and a bag of corn to WY. Antelope NC style. THEY DO RESEMBLE A NICE SPIKE:hump:

Wow, all grear stuff. Now I know why western guys roll their eyes at easterners when we come out.......wesuck! I ddon't know how you guys put up with us. I think you are right that the expectation of hunt to them is more of sitting than walking. Also as the only guy that has ever been huntingout west I am the unregistered guide. I had not really considered managing their expectations and really including them in planning. It has just been easier to do it myself. I think I will make some changes and also be a little proactive on pushing some exercise. All of tour suggestions and warnings have been taken into consideration, thanks and please keep them coming.

Oh yea, I have been practicing the gutless method for two years and packing out whitetails even if it was a small one for a short distance to prepare myself for this hunt. Thanks to all for the advise!

You go north, they go south, meet at the truck at dark may be the play. If it's a kid or an older hunter I'll gladly wait for them. If it's my buddies they better have their asses in shape or move at their own pace in another direction.

When it's time to get somewhere by daylight they can learn to walk faster or learn to wake up earlier.
Sounds like you've got a handle on it now and can make sure you don't drive cross country for a babysitting trip.

Out of shape flatlanders trying to hike a few miles in rough muley country could be a heart attack waiting to happen. Better sharpen up on your CPR. :D

A good hunting friend of mine who smoked, drank, worked hard every day but shunned exercise & healthy nutrition, hunted with our gang my first three seasons of elk hunting that began almost 13 years ago. He had a cardiac episode that luckily, very luckily, ended ok that third season and never went with us again. Of course I and other friends tried to convince him to heed the warning and take better care of himself from day one and after he stopped western hunting...to no avail. He passed week before last at 66. Wish I'd tried harder.

Someone out of shape, carrying a pack over 40 pounds, at altitude more than 6000 feet above home and dealing with uneven paths that have inclines will not last until a third day of activity and may not answer the bell on Day 2 if feet are blistered, shoulder muscles tender and chafes on thighs from sweat and hiking.

This is the Exxon Valdez and you are the captain. Too late to turn so abandon ship. Find a different unit to hunt somewhere flat with roads. Can you imagine getting a couple of critters down on the ground a mile back from the trail that need packed up a ravine to get onto the trail? You will become a pack mule. How much fun is it to be the parent to 40 year olds?

I didn't know the OP knew me?? ;) I've yet to be outdone in the waist or weight department on any hunt I've been on with others. :D

That said, I would encourage them to start working out, but like the old saying, you can lead a horse to water... Be sure to manage your expectations for what they should be able to do. I wouldn't babysit, but it can still be a good hunt for everyone. Do your thing how and let them do theirs.

LCH- I hope you told him yes!! ;) I hope you do realize that my second statement above is entirely true. I'm a fatty. Just please save the body shaming for when we get back. ;)

It is not even necessary to be in outstanding shape. If you do a lot of walking with a 30-pound pack, you will do pretty well in tough country. As long as you don't try to make it a marathon run, it will work out. The better the conditioning, the more fun the hunt will be, for sure, but you don't have to be a gym rat to have a good hunt.

LCH- I hope you told him yes!! ;) I hope you do realize that my second statement above is entirely true. I'm a fatty. Just please save the body shaming for when we get back. ;)

Haha, I've got some extra flab I'm packing around also.. I've got some off already, and trying to burn some more before May ;) There will be no body shaming done by me :D

It actually gets easier for me as the days go on.. I was out for 9 days on my elk hunt last season, and was trucking right up those hillsides towards the end. I did experience some "chafing", though.. not fun :eek:

You go one way, they go the other is best advice.

Have hunted muleys a lot and I'm not in the best of shape. Never really considered it to be brutally tough, or anything like that. Elk hunting will test you.

I'd say be sure to hunt areas where you can cover a lot of terrain where it is possible to hunt all day from one spot. That way you'll for be able to do what others have said in "you go north and I'll go south."

I took a guy on a doe hunt last year. We walked .75 miles in rolling hills, he cramped up and had to take breaks. He said that he just bought a new gun that's 3# lighter so he can "hike" more next year...

I took a guy on a doe hunt last year. We walked .75 miles in rolling hills, he cramped up and had to take breaks. He said that he just bought a new gun that's 3# lighter so he can "hike" more next year...
Heck sometimes I make myself that much lighter just by taking a nice healthy dump! :D

One thing I just did wad to make it a proposal to all of us to exercise and push each other. They all seemed receptive to it and realized we needed to give it our best. It may have been passive aggressive but it got there attention without offending anyone.

I have also vowed to include them in more planning to take pressure off me and help manage expectations. You guys sure have helped me out.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back