Out of the mainstream hunting calibers

The .375 H&H, and then the .375 AI have been my “only” hunting cartridges since 1982.....I never thought of it as “not” mainstream. I also have cast bullet loads for both! ;) memtb

Brent, I've got a lyman mould in santa's basket. I've spent some time looking for a more reasonable way to shoot it more. That still won't get me to africa though.

Brent, I've got a lyman mould in santa's basket. I've spent some time looking for a more reasonable way to shoot it more. That still won't get me to africa though.

Unless you have a sub- 9 pound .375 H&H, it’s not unpleasant to shoot. When I was dating my, “now”, wife...she ran 4 rounds (from seated position on ground) of 300 “grainers” through my Winchester Model 70. She looked up at me and said.....”that’s not bad at all”! That’s when I knew that I had a “keeper”! ;) memtb

PS: I just ran the numbers for my old retired .375H&H. It is less ft/lbs recoil with a slower recoil impulse than her present hunting rifle!

Last edited:
I'm not wealthy enough to be africa bound. I have a 375 H&H. It's actually not unpleasant to shoot, once or twice.

It wasn't a high volume sold cartridge until it's resurgence. While it was popular with dangerous game hunters & fella's who like a little push on their shoulder, it never attained the same level of sales as the 30-30, 30-06, 270, etc. The cost of a magnum length action, coupled with the thought that it was a larger cartridge than needed for anything, and the love of small, fast cartridges by Americans meant it never would be the kill of the hill. Alaskan hunters would disagree, but they're a rarer breed than your midwestern whitetail hunter.

It's a fantastic cartridge, but I don't know that I'd say it's mainstream. On the cusp, possibly.

The 275 H&H Is such a UK cartridge that I don't think many people even know what it is. That spot in the line up largely goes to the 7mm RM or the .280 Remington in the US. The big cartridge in the H&H magnum line never really caught on in the lower 48 outside of the 30 super & the 375 for the African bound & wealthy.

Thanks Ben. I came to it in a round about way. I used the 30-06 for years and then wanted something different and got a 300 H & H and then a 375 H & H, but after receiving the 348, it was all I used. someone suggested I should round out the H & H's and get a 275. They felt so strongly about it they actually gifted one to me :). I was familiar with the 280 Ross, but not the 275 H & H. However, I came to enjoy it and now use it for all our sheep and goat hunts. It obviously would work for Caribou and Wolf as well, but I dont have it with me each day, as I do the 348, and sheep and goat require us to travel south bit. We dont go often as these hunts are too time consuming, but when we do I take the 275 H & H.

memtb, what does she hunt with her 375 H & H ? I could easily use it for everything, it is a pretty versatile for a large caliber.

choc dogs, what have you hunted with yours ?

Ben lamb, just saw your last post, from everything I know I agree. So many have several rifles/calibers now. I am not sure that was always true. It wasn't for us anyway. I had one rifle (a 30-06) until after I graduated from college. And even now I know many who have one , maybe two.

Panda Bear, She actually “only” shot my .375 H&H a few times. After we married, and we had “big” plans to hunt big game in various places, we got her a SS Winchester Model 70 in .338 WM. That rifle scoped, loaded, and slung weighs in @ 8 pounds 15 oz. She uses the Barnes 225 TTSX @ 2950 for “all” of her big game hunting. She’s taken Pronghorn, Elk, Bear, and Moose with it! memtb

Panda, my 375 was my late father's rifle, one of the few things I really wanted from his estate. It was a part of his dreams of being a gold prospector from his youth. Some of my fondest memories are of him reading R.W. Service by the campfires in northern Utah growing up, while he wished he could afford to live in Alaska while raising 5 children. I remember shooting it at about 14 and thinking it was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen, (I was pretty enamored with Hemmingway at the time). After all of us moved out he had an opportunity to live in in Anchorage while working for the air force and did realize his dream. He was able to harvest several moose with it, and it lived a pretty knockabout life for about 20 years. I mostly carry it now hunting black bears here in Idaho, in the spring. It seems to revive me, even though I'm fortunate enough to not have to harvest a bear for survival, it's a way to connect with some of the memories in my head. My father was a man who used Winchester M70's, and I think that's sort of why most of my rifles are, also

PsaDzNaFq0f__B8OhlnbqtJfX9V1clETyIOcyf82GzHhGSzCb7Z8f3N8BEXFjeY_oBTT7vhKkOgGEphZhZ-jk4oJk8kaPUgM46csNutenwAtg0S9fq_K0fcxF_pW5O1cnUCUHqcLhtvVepmKORYAvrEbDAetelHTYNo_QE0DuChd_Eo7fi4CCFgpnUJBlQ_BzeFJ1kKpx8e98Kg11pPht_1sUmC2h0hz7bwzINOCe17I8QiWK__bJaOlUPkDMj_InZUeVdeDlc0_mvFcZLt6lJYijw9zOzrYECbXVgagNFLjwxYEVkbEsR4j61cn6lWU5QYmtNstsEq_34c1_1oxv0x8e96dtfHhhQKtPhZZjJne8qDIG_3NuiJXVRUbUADPtVm2UiqYKe4jO0JBcIg2ZUM06dI3FL17CynQdF_F6vG4L0VtSqpBfoC-XQ4w3iVDwkdq_fCOgAHeNH7Z9FpjROIvZfXzIJloNNJzHMHt0__d98hQYkaoRm6CGKhvWnX-iU40bdIAxZ7lDhgX5-8fONo14EEYjSeAjDGN6GZjgs_pmDlmBxWsQjtF0cTnRsauGauv7i12Y6HK6wN60zsJt2eEY-fl8KUXv2gdAtg00o7xkQTtXvqggdSwoddr2_9fPkLfUbWYBmfYTFO3ZVRnN_xBnTGf7CnunP2kFj5Oefb6UU_I-exEQC4=w855-h641-no

Picked up a ruger #1 in 6mm rem for my boys to start on. Also run a German Mauser 98 in 25 Souper my dad and grand dad built in the 50’s. Might just have to break it out for Texas whitetail opener this weekend. Now that you guys have me thinking about it.
I have a 6mm Remington in a Ruger 1B that is quite the coyote, antelope, and deer rifle! I love that thing and it shoots very well. The Ruger #1's should have a list all their own as not mainstream but uber cool!

So I guess 35 Whelen is still off the list, kind of. Who shoots a 35 Whelen improved?

Attachments

• A44D20A6-06D5-4A0E-A81C-B3139161F205.jpeg
    A44D20A6-06D5-4A0E-A81C-B3139161F205.jpeg
    1,018 KB · Views: 3
Been ready some Karamojo Safari. Now I want a 256 Mannlicher, haha. Anyone on here shoot one?

(-;

Now this brought a smile to an old woman face. Carl, my husband was obsessed with these for a short period of time, a long time ago and had from memory the 6.5 x 53 R, the 6.5 x 54 and something larger. I am sure I shot one of them but dont remember.

He also bought each of us quick draw guns and holsters, but I would NOT have been very helpful to Wyatt and Doc in an emergency.

Did you enjoy the book? I always wondered how many Elephants he injured, but I enjoy those books as well. Africa and hunting there has changed so much, even since the 70's, but can you imagine what it was like at the turn of the century, that would have been fun.

The 256 would be a lot of fun, especially in the proper platform. I'd take a 9x56 as well, please. :)

I've got a 35 Whelen. It's the hammer of god (Mauser action in the front. The other is an 8mm Mauser I).

1578671201407.png

Ben. I know he sure liked it at the time and not just the caliber, but the entire package actually, action, stock, even the flat knob (-; He had three, but two of them were small caliber ( 6.5 ) and one large ( 8 or 9 )

My son has a 35 Whelen and I will tell you the same thing I tell him. If I was young ( er ) and male and wanted a caliber in that ballpark, I would possibly get a 9.3 x 62 or if I felt really "macho" a 340 Weatherby., but not a reworked 30-06--just joking with you the way I do with him (-: He dearly loves his 35 Whelen

P.S. I forgot. My husband also liked the 8MM

I've got a 9.3x74R in a Ruger #1, as well. :) (#1 on the left, next to the 35 Whelen. Doubles are a Mortimer 450 3 1/4 BPE & Alex Henry 450/400 2 3/8" BPE)

1578673340672.png

(-;

Now this brought a smile to an old woman face. Carl, my husband was obsessed with these for a short period of time, a long time ago and had from memory the 6.5 x 53 R, the 6.5 x 54 and something larger. I am sure I shot one of them but dont remember.

He also bought each of us quick draw guns and holsters, but I would NOT have been very helpful to Wyatt and Doc in an emergency.

Did you enjoy the book? I always wondered how many Elephants he injured, but I enjoy those books as well. Africa and hunting there has changed so much, even since the 70's, but can you imagine what it was like at the turn of the century, that would have been fun.
Sounds like you guys had quite the collection of firearms!

Yes, I thoroughly enjoy reading Bell's books. I have read all three and am re-reading this one. I feel as if I were born 100 years too late. I would have loved to experience Africa and hunt elephant back in his day. I have never been to Africa so I can only imagine how it has changed.

Sounds like you guys had quite the collection of firearms!

Yes, I thoroughly enjoy reading Bell's books. I have read all three and am re-reading this one. I feel as if I were born 100 years too late. I would have loved to experience Africa and hunt elephant back in his day. I have never been to Africa so I can only imagine how it has changed.

Or to hunt tiger while riding an elephant in India.

Which is what this Rodda 577/500 No. 2 BPE was made for:

Rodda.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back