Out of the mainstream hunting calibers

Panda Bear

I have had several ask me about my choice of hunting calibers

I used a 30-06 for several years, and then tried a few other caliber's .

I liked the lever rifles and for one reason or another from the time I received the Model 71 348, it ( and the BLR in the same caliber ) has been my large animal hunting rifle ( Bears, Bison, Moose, Muskox) and the 275 H & H is my small animal hunting rifle ( goat, sheep, caribou, wolf ) Both came to me as gifts and I liked them. They work for me. The 275 is actually .287 not .284 and Woodleigh makes a 160 and 175 specifically for the 275 H & H ( .287 dia) . Woodleigh also makes a 250 gr for the 348.

I know Brent uses even older and much cooler calibers and rifles than mine, but was wondering

Who else, hunts with unusual or old calibers. I am sure several have old rifles/calibers, but was wondering if anyone except Brent and I actually hunt with them and if so what are they ?

Carl 9.3 x 62

my grandfather has a 9.3 x 62, and 9.3 x 64 , that he uses.

Pretty cool calibers

I still hunt with my sporterized .303 British Enfield on occasion. It was my first deer rifle. A lot of good memories attached to it.

is a wildcat allowed,,i use a 6.5/204 a lot,,with a 125 gr partition it does the job well if i do my part,,shot bull tahr to wapiti here at 256 yrds

I have a 6mm Remington that I break out every now and then as well as a 8mm Rem mag, those are the only non main stream cartridges I use beside wildcat rounds.

Only recently acquired, but I hunted with a 6mm/250 this year and have enjoyed shooting it a lot. In the wildcat world it's a fairly old benchrest round. Performance-wise basically a 6C or 6x47L. I'd probably never have built one myself but it's been fun. My current load is a 95 grain Berger at 2910fps. Nothing for recoil and beats my current 6.5C/139 Scenar load (granted it's relatively weak load) in the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot a couple critters with a 6.5 Creedmoor. It's so obscure that people who don't hunt and aren't interested in guns have probably never heard of it.

It is just a flash in the pan and wont be around long. However, I thought the Nash Metropolitan would be a huge success when it was introduced, so I wouldn't put much stock in my opinion LOL !

For me, I guess the 6.5 x 55 Swede is the oldest caliber I used regularly, but if we moved up into the early 1900's then the 300 H & H and 375 H & H. When in Arizona, used the 250 Savage a lot . I just remembered I also have a 6.5 x 54 M.S. that my son still uses regularly

Brent and Ben Lamb have some really nice old rifles/calibers

Kiwi hunter. Are the ballistics of the 6.5/204 anything like the Creedmore, Swede, and 260 ? ( I guess I could just try to find information about it because as of right this second I am not recognizing it, but my memory is not what it use to be for sure )

Last edited:
There are a couple Kimbers for sale on a different forum 9.3x62 and 6.5x55. Classy looking rigs and superlight!

Most of what I shoot is pretty mainstream...30-30 is about it unless you count the 16 ga with a 2-1/2" chamber

Last edited:
I have a 6mm Remington that I break out every now and then as well as a 8mm Rem mag, those are the only non main stream cartridges I use beside wildcat rounds.
6mm REMINGTON for me as well although as good a cartridge as it is it SHOULD BE a mainstream cartridge! You could not tell that by my user name though could you!

95% my hunting is with a 275 Rigby and 9.3x62. Having said that in Australia amd Europe 9.3x62 is a pretty common calibre.

The latter is in my view one of the best all round cartridges in the world. Will take everything from small deer up to elephant in a standard action with noticeably less recoil than a 375 H&H but with pretty much the same performance (I'm aware of the 9.3x64).

I'd love to own a double 9.3x74r (double equivalent of 9.3x62) or a 450-400 nitro express or the bolt equivalent 404 Jeffery.

I'll be bringing my 9.3x62 to the states when I decide to burn my points.

Last edited:
There are a couple Kimbers for sale on a different forum 9.3x62 and 6.5x55. Classy looking rigs and superlight!

Most of what I shoot is pretty mainstream...30-30 is about it unless you count the 16 ga with a 2-1/2" chamber
Is it hard to find 2-1/2" loaded ammo for your 16 gauge?

A 257 Roberts is one of my favorite deer and antelope rounds with 117 grain bullets and I have a 30 gibs that I use to use but the recoil is nasty so no fun.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScatterGunHamilton
Back