Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Out of the mainstream hunting calibers

Dont hear much about the wsm cartridges. My BIL has a 270 wsm and it's a little laser. I'd probably still get 7mm RM though if I were getting a new rifle. But I'd consider buying his 270 wsm if he were selling.

Picked up a ruger #1 in 6mm rem for my boys to start on. Also run a German Mauser 98 in 25 Souper my dad and grand dad built in the 50’s. Might just have to break it out for Texas whitetail opener this weekend. Now that you guys have me thinking about it.
Well you know I could not be out of a 6mm Remington when my son took the 600 from me so I bought a Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington just to make certain that I had one. My son managed to also get another 6mm Remington in a Ruger MK II so that when he managed to get older he would have the little Model 600 to pass on to one of his children. Did this only a couple years after receiving the Model 600 as a gift. He wanted to save the 600 for special hunts and to pass to one of his children some day. At least we know it's staying in the family. Looks like I might be creating some more 6mm Remington addicts!

I have seen a couple of deer shot with a 25-20. No problem at under 100 yards. My brother started hunting with a Marlin Model 94 25-20 when he was 12 and he killed a couple of mule deer with it. I still have the rifle.

Wasn't the Jordan buck killed with a .25-20?

I have an old Colt revolver in 32-20. Never shot anything with it though.

not to be a picker of nits, but that's a Krag, not a Craig. I try to spell it wrong all the time too :)

I have one of these. It might be my most modern caliber. Cool, weird rifles.

Well I remember a friend referring to the music group Credence Clearwater Revival as Clarence Creedmoor.

I have 6.5 Jap Arisaka that came home from WW2 as a war trophy then got sporterized in the 50s or 60s. My oldest son killed his first branch antlered buck with it. Very mild 6.5 cartridge that I load with the Hornady 160 RN.
I also have a 50s model Savage 99 in .300 Savage that’s killed several deer.
I had a 7-30 Waters Contender Carbine that my youngest hunted with for several years. After Jesse moved on to a bigger rifle, a friend wanted it and traded a cherry Winchester Model 64 in 30 WCF for it.
I’ve got a 357 Maximum Contender and a couple of .41 Mag revolvers I hunt with.

some really cool calibers fellows. Thank you for the responses, very interesting.

beginner hunter. We do have a 7mmwsm in the BLR Takedown and it works just fine. Before something larger when working ( 348 ) so it sits. but they are workable calibers.

Brent, some of my misspelled words are words I spelled correctly but spell check disagreed :)

Some very interesting calibers

Looked it up and apparently be the 25-20 vs 25-35 debate is an old argument and has never been proven either way. Interesting

I have seen a couple of deer shot with a 25-20. No problem at under 100 yards. My brother started hunting with a Marlin Model 94 25-20 when he was 12 and he killed a couple of mule deer with it. I still have the rifle.
I killed my first deer, a doe mule deer at 2 or 3 feet with a 25-20

My aunt gave me a bolt action 32-20 that turned out to be the gun my dad shot his first deer with back in the 50s. When I first saw it, I thought it was a 22 magnum based on the size of the magazine. It was missing the trigger guard so I tracked one down on the internet. I then located what must have been the last box of jacketed 32-20s in West Virginia and later got a small buck within a couple hundred yards of where Dad got his first deer.

Last year I flew home to NY and shot a spike with a Savage 99 in .300 Savage with an old weaver K2.5. I became the 3rd generation to kill a buck with that rifle, when my nephew gets older, hopefully he’ll be the fourth. That rifle was made in ‘47

I usually prefer common calibers, but I did go all in on .260 Remington before all the 6.5CM popularity. I sold my custom titanium and carbon 260 rifle to a friend (after having it rechambered in 6.5CM), but I still have a Savage 110 that my dad hunts with, and a T/C Encore barrel in 260.

I guess I could be considered a modern contrarian. 257 Weatherby, 327 Federal Mag, 41 Rem mag, and a 325 WSM.

8x56R out of a milsurp Steyr-Mannlicher M95/30 straight-pull rifle that I bought at an auction. I knew nothing at all about the rifle except that Steyr and Mannlicher were respected names in the old days. Thankfully PRVI makes 208-grain soft point ammo for it that isn’t super expensive and is great on hogs.

Back