Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Oregon OTC Elk Non Resident Question

bisblue

Hey Folks,
I'm reading about OTC tags, and I'm slightly confused. Are most eastern Oregon (Rocky Mtn) archery elk tags OTC for residents? But then some units are limited entry?

My wife and I might be moving to Reno for jobs. I have pack llamas and I'm an opportunity meat hunter kind of guy, just want to get out. I have points in WY and AZ and my current state Nevada. Just wondering if I need to buy the license and point this year.

Well Oregon is not a NR friendly state. This year they are starting draws for archery hunts in E Oregon. In general areas for rifle you can get a NR tag over the counter. The problem with Oregon is you cannot get a tag without first buying a license which is over $350. Then you can put in for draw or points. If you don’t draw you are out the license fee.

@WapitiBob beat me to it. Changes to otc archery elk won’t happen until next year. There are some spike-only rifle hunts that are otc as well.

@WapitiBob beat me to it. Changes to otc archery elk won’t happen until next year. There are some spike-only rifle hunts that are otc as well.
Thanks,
So maybe a good year to try OTC in Oregon... Maybe I need to look at the value in deer tag as well, I'm an aspiring traditional archer, I know they have some resident units.

Hey Folks,
I'm reading about OTC tags, and I'm slightly confused. Are most eastern Oregon (Rocky Mtn) archery elk tags OTC for residents? But then some units are limited entry?

My wife and I might be moving to Reno for jobs. I have pack llamas and I'm an opportunity meat hunter kind of guy, just want to get out. I have points in WY and AZ and my current state Nevada. Just wondering if I need to buy the license and point this year.
You are correct - some are "controlled hunts", but the majority of the E OR archery elk units are still general in 2021. As other have noted, you need a NR hunting license and the general archery elk tag. There are several large wilderness areas where you could put your llamas to use and find elk.

I advise my out of state friends not to start point collecting in Oregon. It's expensive and you have no random odds pool, so the more desirable hunts are such a long wait (or never??). Of course if expense isn't a concern, you want a rifle hunt in lower-tier unit, or you have family that hunts here then it may be worth it.

You are correct - some are "controlled hunts", but the majority of the E OR archery elk units are still general in 2021. As other have noted, you need a NR hunting license and the general archery elk tag. There are several large wilderness areas where you could put your llamas to use and find elk.

I advise my out of state friends not to start point collecting in Oregon. It's expensive and you have no random odds pool, so the more desirable hunts are such a long wait (or never??). Of course if expense isn't a concern, you want a rifle hunt in lower-tier unit, or you have family that hunts here then it may be worth it.
So this is the last year for eastern Oregon general archery elk tags? But deer archery in eastern Oregon is now all draw starting this year? I’m asking because I would think rifle hunt odds would improve for both species if folks have to apply for the controlled archery hunts now.

25% of controlled tags are issued via random draw. But yeah, with only up to 5% available for NRs it’s slim pickins for sure.

So this is the last year for eastern Oregon general archery elk tags? But deer archery in eastern Oregon is now all draw starting this year? I’m asking because I would think rifle hunt odds would improve for both species if folks have to apply for the controlled archery hunts now.
The commission meeting where they will discuss the Elk draw issue is targeted for the June meeting.

25% of controlled tags are issued via random draw. But yeah, with only up to 5% available for NRs it’s slim pickins for sure.
True, but on most hunt codes your NR odds are basically 0 until you are in the PP pool. Hunts with >1000 tags is where NR odds aren’t awful looking. Take a look at the draw reports. It’s bleak

Yes, archery deer in the eastern part is all controlled. Elk was proposed last year but postponed, as WapitiBob describes it’s up for review this year with proposals for the 2022 season.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back