Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Oregon Coast Spring Bear - 2014

Joe Hulburt

Got to break in my new Winchester Mode 70 Extreme Weather 308 I have been getting set up this spring! Was having issues getting the Leupold CDS dial system all dialed in but finally got things really happy last week thanks to some Burris Signature Rings that allowed a lot of windage and rear elevation adjustment. Really wanted to test if out when I spotted this guy at 475 yards last evening but decided I needed a little more practice at that range and started closing the gap. I love stalking spring bears! They make me feel really good about my stalking skills. ;) As I got to the mid ranges bear fed behind some brush so I just kept going until I was in close. Bumped a few deer and was getting worried then he stepped out at 54 yards perfectly broadside. Hit him hard but he made it to the creek bottom which was super brushy and since I could hear brush popping in there well after dark I retreated and went back in before daylight and located him about 100 yards from where I shot him.

Got him skinned and put in meat bags and made it to work at 8:00 am. :) Nice to live so close to bountiful resources. Packed him out this afternoon and planning on canning all but the backstraps and a couple roasts. Love canned bear enchiladas!

Weather here is finally good so a bunch of bears should be getting killed!

Congrats! He's a beauty. I think you are on the boards with the first Hunttalk bear of 2014.

Well done! That looks like a good one. Congrats.

I've always wanted to try canning meat. Do you use a pressure canner?

Way to go Joe! The coast range is a magical place. I'm headed to NE OR in a few weeks to try and fill my spring bear tag. Glad to see another Oregonian on the site.

Thanks guys!

Nice going Joe, is that a smidgeon of a white chest blaze?

Yes it is, about the size of a baseball. First one for me.

Well done! That looks like a good one. Congrats.

I've always wanted to try canning meat. Do you use a pressure canner?

Yes I use a pressure canner. Very simple, just raw pack chunks in pint jars with 1/2 tsp of canning salt, clove of garlic and a few jalapeno slices and process. Works fantastic for enchiladas.

Congrats on a great bear! Let us know how the gun works when you get to stretch out!

Will do. Plan on it soon now that the rain has let up here. :)

Sounds like an awsome hunt. Ive never had bear meat but heard its really good.

We eat exclusively wild game meat and usually run out of bear before deer or elk. I don't care for bear steaks but love canned bear. Also hard to beat a bear backstrap in the slow cooker with onion soup mix for french dips!

Way to go Joe! The coast range is a magical place. I'm headed to NE OR in a few weeks to try and fill my spring bear tag. Glad to see another Oregonian on the site.

Good luck over there! I'm thinking of heading to Idaho in late May to get a little taste of "eastside" spring bear hunting. I've only hunted them here on the coast and would love to get a color phase...

Nice bear and great photos! I was already pumped to get out and look for a bear this weekend, now its over the top. Hope my Winchester extreme in .270 WSM produces the same result.

Saw a few bears getting checked in last week when I was at F&G in Idaho Falls

Congrats on a great looking bear. Great pics and story. Hope to do the same in MT and AK over the coming month.

Nice work.

Curious about the issues with the CDS scope and having to use different rings to make it work.

Nice work.

Curious about the issues with the CDS scope and having to use different rings to make it work.

More a rifle issue than scope . Windage was so far off with a fixed base I had to move crosshairs so far left it interfered with vertical travel needed for dial to function. I also had to raise rear of scope 20 moa. Offset inserts in Signature rings allowed me to almost sight in the rifle with crosshairs centered.

Congrats on a great looking blackie. Nice looking back drop too looks almost like a photo studio.

Most of the creek bottom is so thick I had to push thru it. Luckily he died in a little opening.

Congrats on a great looking bear. Great pics and story. Hope to do the same in MT and AK over the coming month.

Thanks. Look forward to getting to see those episodes! Spring bear hunts are usually my favorites.

Nice bear and great photos! I was already pumped to get out and look for a bear this weekend, now its over the top. Hope my Winchester extreme in .270 WSM produces the same result.

Saw a few bears getting checked in last week when I was at F&G in Idaho Falls

Good luck! Should be high time to get your Winchester some action.

That's a great looking Oregon bear. Nice job.

I'm headed to NE Oregon and Idaho later in May for Spring bear. Idaho is a great place for a color phase bear. Good luck!

Back