Caribou Gear

Oregon Coast Spring Bear - 2014

great job joe on a nice bear.///I wasnt able to draw a tag this spring,,,not even the wilson/trask as a 2nd choice this year.hopefully next year theyll be better to me.

Thanks again guys! He was a really nice looking bear with a great hide. I wish it would have been lighter out and I had some help to get some better photos but I was in a hurry to skin the bear since he was out over night.

I heard the Wilson/Trask was undersubscribed and you could get an OTC tag, Hmmm.

No OTC. You can often draw it as a second choice but it's been 5 or 6 years since there have been any leftovers to buy OTC. LEftover tags are only tags that don't get drawn as 2nd, or 3rd choice etc...

I'm not a fan of the system used and talked to the local wildlife bio about it after the draw this year. 440 tags are allocated based on the assumption that 400 of those will be purchased. This rule of thumb holds true on most other species but with spring bear lots of people throw Wilson/Trask on as a second choice then don't buy the tag. Of the 440 allocated I think about 250 end up being purchased. Seems like the remainder should be considered leftovers. On average about 10 bears get killed each spring and I kill one of them. Most people just don't take spring bear seriously is all I can figure.

I was hoping for wilson /trask as my 2nd choice but it didnt happen ///by draw time all the otc southwest bear tags have been bought up just prier to the draw results also.

Great bear!

Year in and out you put some fantastic bears on the ground. It's probably a whole different ballgame hunting them in the coastal range like that.

Last edited:
Great post Joe. Enjoyed the photos and story. The canned bear sounds awesome.

Thanks! Yes, it is really good! This is all there is to it.

I think part of the reason it works so well with bear is that the grease that is in the meat is easy to pour out of the jars when you open them up. Shreds up really nice.

Congrats on a beautiful trophy and I have to say your the first person I've ever seen can bear meat before. What a great idea! We do it with deer back here in PA and I love it. Next one hits the ground and I'll be copying off of you. Good huntin'

Great bear Joe! Beautiful and big.

I was able to knock down my SW OR bear Friday evening. Not a big bear but still fun packing him out of a hell hole well into the next morning. My legs are still shot.

Great bear Joe! Beautiful and big.

I was able to knock down my SW OR bear Friday evening. Not a big bear but still fun packing him out of a hell hole well into the next morning. My legs are still shot.

Thanks and congrats on your success!

Last edited:
Nice bear, and very interested in the canning process. I have a pressure cooker I purchased a few years ago yet never got good results the few times I cooked a roast. I must be doing something wrong with all the positive things I have read about pressure cookers. I have never done any canning but would like to try it. Are there any good books on it you could recommend? Or do you have time to explain the whole process?
Thanks
Bill

Back