Yeti GOBOX Collection

Oregon Archery?’s non-res

RyanSoNorCal

I’ve been going over the regs inside out and have a couple questions. Are you able to purchase tags OTC like CA AO deer tags or do you have to enter drawing like an Area-Specific Archery tag in CA? I’m specifically referring to the Applegate or Rogue units. Already planning for 2020! 👍🏼

You only need to apply for archery tags in a handful of units in Oregon, all others are OTC. Both the Rogue and Applegate units are OTC, but I’m not sure that those are the units that I’d focus on if I was given the option. There is definitely better OTC archery elk hunting to be had in other parts of the state.

What Cody said.

Heavy pressure and thick timber in both of those units. If you're planning the Shady Cove base camp that you've mentioned before I don't think you'd be wasting your time in the North Rogue, but it will definitely still be a struggle. There are lots of roads and lots of hunters up there.

What Cody said.

Heavy pressure and thick timber in both of those units. If you're planning the Shady Cove base camp that you've mentioned before I don't think you'd be wasting your time in the North Rogue, but it will definitely still be a struggle. There are lots of roads and lots of hunters up there.

Here’s the elk herd data that ODFW posts on their website. The Applegate unit is listed as an “Elk Deemphasis Area” and has the herd size listed as approximately 350. The Rogue has decent numbers, but many of those elk are pressured early and end up being pushed into Crater Lake National Park since it’s so close to one of Oregon’s larger population centers. Unless you’re set on those particular units I’d look in the OTC units in the NE parts of the state.

I’m open to other units. My brother in law lives just outside of Salem so I can start from there. It’s just Rogue/Applegate are closer to CA border as I’m coming up from Sac.

Awesome info thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back