Caribou Gear Tarp

Oregon - Adult onset hunter

thatsjet

I'm coming up on 50, never hunted (unless you count that time as a 9year old I shot a jackrabbit in the California desert), and drew my first ever tag in what is reported to be a good unit in Eastern Oregon. I've been watching Fresh Tracks and Meat Eater for the last year, got OnX for my region, and plan to scout at least 2x before the season opens. I'll be backpacking it and spot-stalk and doing my best to get far away from the crowds. I'm in good shape, run 3-5 miles a day and hoping that helps. Wish me luck! Anyone else that drew Imnaha buck wants a scouting partner, let me know.

Welcome aboard! Throw a pack on with some weight and hike around. That should supplement running towards preparing you!

Is this an archery or a rifle tag?

Welcome aboard! Throw a pack on with some weight and hike around. That should supplement running towards preparing you!

Is this an archery or a rifle tag?

Rifle. Savage .308, probably Nosler 164gr. I need to punch more paper at 200 yds before I commit to this round though. I have the skill to confidently take a shot within 300 yds but definitely plan on trying to get a lot closer than that. Open to other rounds suggestions if you have them.

Awesome! Welcome to HT! What stoked the interest in hunting?

It's something I've always wanted to do but never had family/friends that hunted. I've been hoping that some day I would find someone to go with/learn from and finally just said "screw it"... and committed to going on my own. I'm a preparedness-minded person and in addition to that, the idea of being able to fill my freezer with a truly "organic" and sustainable food source seems like a pretty bitchin experience.

What unit number?

61 - Imnaha. Some really gorgeous country so I'm looking forward to backpacking it (almost) as much as hunting it. I did get a tip from another hunter on ifish.net about rather remote road that gets me out to the snake river ridgeline. I'm really excited to go scout it this summer.

Rifle. Savage .308, probably Nosler 164gr. I need to punch more paper at 200 yds before I commit to this round though. I have the skill to confidently take a shot within 300 yds but definitely plan on trying to get a lot closer than that. Open to other rounds suggestions if you have them.
300 yards is a fair cutoff. Just keep shooting and even dry firing to get the trigger pull down. Best of luck!

It can be very steep and rugged. Only shoot your comfortable range but canyons across from each other can be 400 yards. The problem is you can't many get on the same side of the canyon because you see down or up. Many of these eastern Oregon units you have to be able to shoot across canyons. Everyone has their limits and I do not agree with shooting like these goobers on TV. My comfortable longest shot is 500 yards and that's a poke and it would have to be perfect with no wind for me. Lots of wind and sometimes your more of an elevation difference than you think. I have the rifle and equipment to go way out but I never would. Where I hunt most shots are 400 yards. Once in a while if everything goes right you can get within a couple hundred but sometimes there just isn't the cover. Elk are way tougher than people give them credit for. I have hunted them my whole life, guided lots and lots of people and been involved either as a hunter, guide or guest on dozens and dozens. yo need the right bullet and the right gun. Nobody can tell you what that is as its up to you how you shoot. Just don't be under gunned is my advice on elk and make a take your time, dont rush and make good shot. There are times things happen in a hurry and you need to shoot a moving animal or have a quick shot. That is not you on your first hunt. Find a rest and relax before , during and after the shot.

I drew 161 deer tag actually, @belshawelk, but assume most of the advice is the same? I missed all of my choices for Elk even though I went with a 100% second choice according to the oregontags site. I'm still going to try for a leftover tag for Elk and hopefully will get lucky.

Welcome! Just going for it is a rewarding experience, and the true reward is the adventure itself IMO , a punched tag is a BONUS! I look forward to seeing how you do , I’m taking my 1st trip east in 5 years , I drew 162 Keating unit , I think I’m next to you , never been and I ain’t going over to scout it , I’m putting my free time towards my Rosie hunt in 2 months , my friends hunted Keating 2 years ago , just using there intel for my hunt . good luck !!!

Last edited:
Welcome. Cool tag.

Edited: I had my units mixed up. The below photos are from the Snake River unit. My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
one option is to get general elk tag which is spike only but you will learn a ton. I dont know if that unit has a general tag without looking but most all do. Starkey and Ukiah are easy hunts for the first time with a spike tag. easy ground to walk for the most part. Lots of hunters but if you willing to put miles in you can find elk away from people. Go 4-5 miles in the back country of those units and they will be there.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back