Caribou Gear

Adult Onset Idiot

Never once had issue with Bore Butter.
If you clean out your barrel properly there won't be powder sticking.
How much butter does it take to make a smooth bore?🤔🤣
Why put something in it you just have to clean out properly to make it function?

Accuracy improves with the ramrod removed when shooting, has to do with barrel harmonics.
Seriously guys. Maybe I should have written that better. What I meant was that if you don't put the ramrod back in the holders underneath the barrel, it should improve accuracy. Just gotta remember not to leave the rod behind.

But I'm using a cap, patched ball and FF Triple 7. Used to use GOEX FF until it became too hard to come by. Might be different in the modern muzzleloaders

Last edited:
I get your point but honestly isn't care and maintenance an ongoing process with blackpowder barrels?
Not so much when you switch to BH209, but with anything else yes.

I used boiling water with dawn and a bronze brush. Run a dry patch till it comes out dry and then spray the inside heavily with Rem oil. Run a dry swab or two thru and it’s done.

Same process when I used bore butter but it always collects in the grooves and you can never get it all out.

I used boiling water with dawn and a bronze brush. Run a dry patch till it comes out dry and then spray the inside heavily with Rem oil. Run a dry swab or two thru and it’s done.

Same process when I used bore butter but it always collects in the grooves and you can never get it all out.
I have done the same^
Though I have hunted blackpowder for decades, I typically "maybe" shoot at a live animal once a year. So after a few practice shots to verify things are still okay, I don't mess with the barrel.
The in-line stays loaded for the week I might hunt with it. The traditional I almost always fire each day, because I have more faith in fresh powder from day to day, so I will make one pass with a swab. No heavy cleaning until after the season.
One of the reasons I prefer the butter for the traditional is because I feel it doesn't permeate the area just under the nipple and the powder stays bone dry when loaded. Not convinced that oil can be fully absorbed by a swab in that hard to reach area.
Admittedly, I use butter sparingly, as it is.
Works for me, anyhow.

Never once had issue with Bore Butter.
If you clean out your barrel properly there won't be powder sticking.
How much butter does it take to make a smooth bore?🤔🤣
Maybe I did something wrong but anything I applied that shit to corroded like no other?

Can you explain further...what corroded?
This was years ago but iirc I coated the barrel with a little bb after cleaning and when I took it back out to shoot months later the barrel looked as if I had shot it about 25 times.

That bh209 is where it's at. All I ever used was pellets until trying that in my step sons gun and was like wow I can't get that time or money back from that garbage.

That bh209 is where it's at. All I ever used was pellets until trying that in my step sons gun and was like wow I can't get that time or money back from that garbage.
All I have ever used is pyrodex.
I have noticed the bb changes color after a winter but I never considered there to be a corrosion problem.
But I'm open to try a new tactic...oil this winter to experiment.
I mean the traditional I have is 35 years old...if I take good shots with open sights the conical is dead nuts on left to right and 4" low at 100 yds....everytime.

All I have ever used is pyrodex.
I have noticed the bb changes color after a winter but I never considered there to be a corrosion problem.
But I'm open to try a new tactic...oil this winter to experiment.
I mean the traditional I have is 35 years old...if I take good shots with open sights the conical is dead nuts on left to right and 4" low at 100 yds....everytime.
Gotta use what works, I've got an old traditional Hawken style from my grandpa. Always wanted to do some hunting with it but I don't really know much about how to properly care for them. Need to change that. Always wanted to kill an elk with a Hawken, gonna happen someday.

This was years ago but iirc I coated the barrel with a little bb after cleaning and when I took it back out to shoot months later the barrel looked as if I had shot it about 25 times.
Just wondering if you were shooting black powder or something that is corrosive and didn't get it cleaned out all the way?

I wasn't familiar with that particular rifle; ignition with mag rifle primer, 200 grain max powder charge....shooting 300 grain projectile...can you say YEEHAW! That load will hit hard at both ends. Remington claims 2400fps with 200 grain sabot. Impressive rifle.

When I think of the evolution the last 25 yrs from percussion caps and jamming roundballs/conicals to in-lines using 209's pushing sabots ...with scopes, man we're getting spoiled. And I like it.

I recall when pyrodex first got popular recommendations were not to use solvents as a cleaner for pyrodex because it would cause corrosion. Been a while but I believe Hoppe's #9 was mentioned. Don't know if it applied to any other cleaners

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back