PEAX Equipment

Adult Onset Idiot

I've killed a few muleys and a moose with traditional.
Good to 100 yds with the traditional, shooting a .50 cal conical. Very consistent, but open sights are becoming a challenge with aging eyes.
Love my scoped Thompson Contender in-line. So far I have harvested only whitetail bucks with this setup.

I feel horrible for you that your life has taken this turn for the worse, that you’ve found yourself in a place where you’ve thought a muzzleloader would be fun and effective to hunt with.

They say time heals all wounds but not the mental and emotional trauma that muzzleloader hunting produces.

Do what anyone who kills anything during a muzzleloader season does. Take a rifle, and just use the muzzleloader for pics and stuff.

Don't use bore butter with sabots. They make the bore to slick and the plastic won't grip the rifling. Took me quite a while to figure out why my gun was spraying bullets everywhere. Love bore butter fore everything else.
This explains a lot of my troubles with muzzleloaders. I didn’t know that.

I still hate them.

I feel horrible for you that your life has taken this turn for the worse, that you’ve found yourself in a place where you’ve thought a muzzleloader would be fun and effective to hunt with.

They say time heals all wounds but not the mental and emotional trauma that muzzleloader hunting produces.

Do what anyone who kills anything during a muzzleloader season does. Take a rifle, and just use the muzzleloader for pics and stuff.
“Oh, it’s just in case I see a bear/coyote”

(y) Sure it is Bill, sure it is.

I like it for rust protection. I think it lasts longer than oil.
Problem is if you don’t get it all out of your bore loose powder sticks to it and gets ruined. I’ve had it where it had just enough moisture left to cause a hang fire. Quit using it after that and plain old Remington gun oil works just fine without any residue.

Bob Parker is a stand up fellow and makes solid bullets so you’re off to a good start there. Muzzle loading is a fun addiction, they have so much more individual personalities than rifles… enjoy!

Problem is if you don’t get it all out of your bore loose powder sticks to it and gets ruined. I’ve had it where it had just enough moisture left to cause a hang fire. Quit using it after that and plain old Remington gun oil works just fine without any residue.
I won't use it in my muzzy at all. It shoots sabots, legal in ut.
Had to use brake cleaner to get it all out of the bore before it would start putting good groups with the sabots. Couldn't figure out why it would shoot the plain conical bullets well but not the sabots.
When I first got it it was shooting them just fine. Light bulb 💡 it's the bore butter turning it into a smoothbore. But for my cartridge guns and bolt lube for the m1a I like it.

Back