Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Adult Onset Idiot

MTGomer

Adult onset hunters are a big thing these days. Some of us shake our heads as they struggle to figure out where the public land is, or why bugling from upwind seldom works.

I am an adult onset muzzleloader hunter. I have been thrashing about like an idiot trying to figure it out.

It’s my turn to be the analogous flatlander, huffing and puffing in the Colorado or Montana snow.

This will be my story.

I have a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader, Leupold vx-3, and have acquired or ordered the needed supplies.
If I don’t post again, I have blown my own face off.

So here’s to that, or to killing a really big deer, or to a more likely outcome somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

02C6C2CE-1B8D-43CD-96E2-2816A5158B0C.jpeg

Gomer
Its all about sequence and not being in a hurry. Couple offhand tips...
-i like to blow the smoke out of the barrel before reloading. Have the thought process there could be an ember still in the barrel when you dump more powder...muzzle not pointed at your face.
-pay attention to how much ramrod is sticking out of the barrel when the load is properly seated. I try to be consistent with how many times I ram the rod.😁
-moisture is your enemy with traditional, in-lines are more forgiving.
- corrosive powder WILL mess with nipple function and breech plugs. Good to keep on top of cleaning so things don't foul or bond.
-bore butter is a must IMO.

I bought a .50 cal percussion cap years ago as my first rifle. 1989? The only guidance I had was these books.
I remember being absolutely terrified to pull the trigger for the very first time.20221029_063229.jpg

I'm about 1-2 years fresh meat, traditional with a Great Plains .54 . So far, I've had my iron lined on a couple deer though not pulled the trigger. No elk, yet and for the foreseeable future, it may be a while. I've only pulled the trigger at some hillside drainage wall. I want to be dialed in and holding it the duration from snap to boom is, eh, fun(?). I dig the heck out of the rustic adventure it presents. One day, I'll post pic of some deer or hopefully a moose and my percussion though until then, I live vicariously though threads regarding muzzleloaders. Sooo much to learn to be effective/confident enough to snap the trigger on an animal - least for me.

Best with your endeavor, Gomer - Life spent enjoying the sparked interests keeps the fire burning.

I started with one when I was 14. My wife and both kids hunt with muzzleloaders now too. I think there are 5 of the dam things in our house.

Here are a few thing we have done with both flintlocks and inlines:

Keeping stuff clean and lubricated properly really seems to help.

When using loose powder poke a paper clip or vent pick through the flash hole into the powder charge. Seems like getting some air in there really helps it go off quicker.

After breaking a couple crappy factory ramrods, making them out of 3/8” brass has been a good thing. It’s heavy, but none of the brass ones have broken.

An old timer told me after cleaning it at seasons end, seal the muzzle and the breech plug both with vaseline. Keeping air out helps.

Gomer
Its all about sequence and not being in a hurry. Couple offhand tips...
-i like to blow the smoke out of the barrel before reloading. Have the thought process there could be an ember still in the barrel when you dump more powder...muzzle not pointed at your face.
-pay attention to how much ramrod is sticking out of the barrel when the load is properly seated. I try to be consistent with how many times I ram the rod.😁
-moisture is your enemy with traditional, in-lines are more forgiving.
- corrosive powder WILL mess with nipple function and breech plugs. Good to keep on top of cleaning so things don't foul or bond.
-bore butter is a must IMO.

I bought a .50 cal percussion cap years ago as my first rifle. 1989? The only guidance I had was these books.
I remember being absolutely terrified to pull the trigger for the very first time.View attachment 247007
Is 2 pumps enough with the ramrod? Asking for a friend! 😉

I carry a brush with me and always run it down before reloading unless a quick follow up is needed. It just makes loading easier especially seeing your not running BH209. Pellets load nice but are messy and stink when shot. 2 is better than 3 as most of 3 is shot out the end of the barrel.

I’ve tested a ton of different bullets. Hornday bore driver FTX are the best loading and shooting I’ve ever seen. Plus they have great down range performance. I shot sabots for years and those Parker’s will work but are a PIA compared to the FTX.

I would honestly dump the VX3 for another project and pick up a Leupold freedom muzzleloader. The drop in them comes in very handy for longer shots. I use it and would hate to go back to a regular reticle.

Cleaning is your friend.

Muzz hunting is fun sort of a cross between bow and rifle hunting.

Im a big fan of conicals over sabots.

I would look for QR type scope mounts. It makes cleaning easier and also you can get a peep that will mount of the scope mount for hunting states with no scope regs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back