Opinion on MT Missouri River Breaks Special Rifle Tags (worth the bonus points?)

What is a respectable six point? Maybe my expectations are too high. Like with mule deer. mtmuley
Good question!!
i am pessimistic about how things are managed , I have a nice 6x7 bull, a couple of good 160-180 bucks, but those are from better days
and I haven’t seen any bulls or bucks in above average, and most people usually settle for below average nowadays

I agree, but I don't think the diminishing quality of bulls in the Breaks is a secret. If the op wants info on the unit I hunted for bulls, I'll gladly help via pm. mtmuley
Yep for sure, not trying to chit on anyone you guys are all great dudes.

Just wish people would think before starting threads like this and throw in unit numbers.

They cut archery tags in 410 this year, so a step in that direction. The rifle tags are probably ok in number, but by the time the archery season is over the elk have found safety. You can still find decent bulls but it will take work.
I agree with the change but the reason wasn’t to reduce hunters they reduced it because the adjoining district which was part of the permit in years passed is now it’s own archery permit.

at this point in MT just pick a spot and go with it.....do your homework, put boots on the ground and enjoy the hunt.

You could insert any LE tag unit in your original post and you'll get the same varied opinions from an array of folks.

Just go with what you want man, that's how a guy learns and becomes more proficient.

I agree with the change but the reason wasn’t to reduce hunters they reduced it because the adjoining district which was part of the permit in years passed is now it’s own archery permit.
Good point. In my opinion, not many people hunted 417. I could be wrong and it could have changed since I was there last. The access was difficult and for some reason there were just not a lot of elk.

Good point. In my opinion, not many people hunted 417. I could be wrong and it could have changed since I was there last. The access was difficult and for some reason there were just not a lot of elk.
I can’t remember what the number was that I had been provided by fwp staff hunter estimate that did hunt there, but the reduction was slightly more than that number overall. So yes it was a move in correct direction.

Reactions: Hem
That photo was nowhere near the Slippery Ann viewing area. He was camped on the south side of the river much further east. He bowhunts, but was working and had no permit for the area anyway. Another hunter was camped beside him, but was gone before light looking elk elsewhere. 😀
Sounds like something somebody that posted a picture of a bull from Slippery Ann would say...... :LOL::LOL:

Reactions: DFS
What is a respectable six point? Maybe my expectations are too high. Like with mule deer.

If I had a breaks tag I would set a goal of a bull in the 320-330 range. From what I have seen in the breaks in th last few years that’s realistic goal IF A PERSON HAS THE TIME. And by time I think a minimum of 10 days. I’ve seen nothing bigger than that though. Again depends how many points you burn as to whether it’s worth it or not. If a person has the time you can bulls of that size in general units…. So again is it worth burning the points? It is if you want to hunt elk in some incredibly unique country and get mud on everything you own.

If I had a breaks tag I would set a goal of a bull in the 320-330 range. From what I have seen in the breaks in th last few years that’s realistic goal IF A PERSON HAS THE TIME. And by time I think a minimum of 10 days. I’ve seen nothing bigger than that though. Again depends how many points you burn as to whether it’s worth it or not. If a person has the time you can bulls of that size in general units…. So again is it worth burning the points? It is if you want to hunt elk in some incredibly unique country and get mud on everything you own.
To me, the Breaks should be somewhere that a 320 to 330 bull is passed up. mtmuley

Good point. In my opinion, not many people hunted 417. I could be wrong and it could have changed since I was there last. The access was difficult and for some reason there were just not a lot of elk ON PUBLIC LAND.
FIFY

Nothing like drawing more attention to an area that doesn't need it on a popular hunting forum.

Idk why guys can't keep stuff to PM.
Man you do realize this is not some secret honey hole right? I mean it's a well known spot that has tough rifle draw odds. As a matter of fact with gohunt and you name it( ) there are no spots any longer it's all at our finger tips.

My observations in the breaks is that it isn't near the hunt it use to be. All those residents had to have that sure thing of an archery draw and ruined it. Long story short.

My brother who is a bit of a runt always said he was going to be 6'2" and 250 lb when he grew up. Turns out all he needed to do was hunt the breaks.
I presume if he hunts there enough he could up being the same size as Shaq, just have to let that mud dry before he applies more to the bottom of his tightly strapped boots.

Man you do realize this is not some secret honey hole right? I mean it's a well known spot that has tough rifle draw odds. As a matter of fact with gohunt and you name it( ) there are no spots any longer it's all at our finger tips.

My observations in the breaks is that it isn't near the hunt it use to be. All those residents had to have that sure thing of an archery draw and ruined it. Long story short.
When did I say that? All I said is idk why people post units and draw attention to areas on forums with 10s of thousands of people viewing them. Doesn't do anybody good. Reward the lazy people just googling.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back