Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Opinion on MT Missouri River Breaks Special Rifle Tags (worth the bonus points?)

With all due respect and out of curiosity do you spend much time in the breaks every year? At least enough to qualify saying don’t pass up a 250 bull? Realistically from what I’ve seen if a person has time to dedicate to almost any of the breaks units they can with no hesitation pass all of the 250 bulls they see and should be able to find a respectable 6 point. Now if those tags are worth the points it takes to draw is probably the better conversation to be had
What is a respectable six point? Maybe my expectations are too high. Like with mule deer. mtmuley

With all due respect and out of curiosity do you spend much time in the breaks every year? At least enough to qualify saying don’t pass up a 250 bull? Realistically from what I’ve seen if a person has time to dedicate to almost any of the breaks units they can with no hesitation pass all of the 250 bulls they see and should be able to find a respectable 6 point. Now if those tags are worth the points it takes to draw is probably the better conversation to be had

I’ve spent the last 13 years either hunting bulls or cows with friends in the breaks 410 or 700. Maybe one or two years no one had a tag. I’d probably pass on 250 but If you stumble across a bull that breaks 300” I’d think real hard on it. 10 years ago I’d pass on the 300”

632, 700 are two of the best districts in Montana. I wouldn’t be too hopeful about burning your points. It’s beautifully rough country over there. Good luck in the draws

Yeah well they don't all live in the slippery Ann viewing area either.
That photo was nowhere near the Slippery Ann viewing area. He was camped on the south side of the river much further east. He bowhunts, but was working and had no permit for the area anyway. Another hunter was camped beside him, but was gone before light looking elk elsewhere. 😀

Last edited:
I would take a breaks tag. Montana is on the slippery slope downhill for size class. The longer you wait the more average the bull size will be. I’m curious where everyone thinks these monster bulls live. To my knowledge there might be a couple units in the whole state but they come with major trade offs such as super thick ass timber or are much less accessible. Yes there are way less big bulls in the breaks but overall most of the breaks units you will probably see elk and there will be a couple big bulls in the unit. That’s about the best you can hope for with your points now a days. Even with lots of points drawing these tags will be the hard part. Good luck

Nothing like drawing more attention to an area that doesn't need it on a popular hunting forum.

Idk why guys can't keep stuff to PM.
Meh…the ship sailed on the Missouri River breaks units 20 years ago. If anything the units are way overrated in most of the hunting services assessments. Nothing anyone has posted isn’t already well known. I think if there is any take away it’s don’t apply for these units expecting a monster. Most haven’t got that memo

I would sure have to think hard about burning a lot of points on a rifle permit there. You'll see a fair amount of elk, but it is NO WHERE near what it used to be. It could be world class but they would need to slash both archery permits as well as rifle permits. There are good bulls to be found, but like mtmuley said you can kill a six point. I would sure love to ask some of these guys what they thought about their thoughts of the hunt after buring more than 15 points on the permit.
They cut archery tags in 410 this year, so a step in that direction. The rifle tags are probably ok in number, but by the time the archery season is over the elk have found safety. You can still find decent bulls but it will take work.

I would take a breaks tag. Montana is on the slippery slope downhill for size class. The longer you wait the more average the bull size will be. I’m curious where everyone thinks these monster bulls live. To my knowledge there might be a couple units in the whole state but they come with major trade offs such as super thick ass timber or are much less accessible. Yes there are way less big bulls in the breaks but overall most of the breaks units you will probably see elk and there will be a couple big bulls in the unit. That’s about the best you can hope for with your points now a days. Even with lots of points drawing these tags will be the hard part. Good luck
I agree. I'm sure the Breaks aren't as good as they used to be, but tell me anywhere that is accessible public land that hasn't got worse.

That photo was nowhere near the Slippery Ann viewing area. He was camped on the south side of the river much further east. He bowhunts, but was working and had no permit for the area anyway. Another hunter was camped beside him, but was gone before light looking elk elsewhere. 😀
That's about how it always goes to hahaha. Nice bull no doubt.

3 or 4 years ago I hunted 700 for antelope on private and public. We saw more 6pt bulls in 2 days of hunting antelope than antelope bucks. No permit for bulls....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back