Opinion on MT Missouri River Breaks Special Rifle Tags (worth the bonus points?)

What are you looking for in the hunt? Do you want to chase big bulls or are you more interested in just being into a fair amount of elk? Or do you have a desire to hunt them in a certain type of terrain?

It all depends what you want. Most of the breaks units don’t have many “big” bulls anymore. They also tend to have a fair amount of hunters. However, it’s awesome country and you could have a lot of fun looking for something special if you have time. If you’re just looking to shoot a high scoring bull then I’d definitely look elsewhere.
Anything ~ 300+ would make me extremely happy. I have no desire to hold on to points forever to "try" for HD 380 or an equivalent, so that's why I am considering a Breaks tag. My goal would be for the hunt to be a slightly "social" hunt, set up the wall tent, and be able to look over a fair amount of elk till I find one that excites me. I would say I am more of an archery hunter so a rifle tag would be a neat experience, at least in my mind.

Anything ~ 300+ would make me extremely happy. I have no desire to hold on to points forever to "try" for HD 380 or an equivalent, so that's why I am considering a Breaks tag. My goal would be for the hunt to be a slightly "social" hunt, set up the wall tent, and be able to look over a fair amount of elk till I find one that excites me. I would say I am more of an archery hunter so a rifle tag would be a neat experience, at least in my mind.
That's the breaks then....... you need a wall tent run down?

I would give it a whirl. Still got to draw the tag which might be tough depending on the specific unit you go for

As someone who actually has enough points to have lightning strike and draw one of these years, this interests me. Wondering if the OP has a similar bank of points or, with all due respect, is he like the dude from WY planning his moose hunt with 2 points to his name? I have always wanted to do one of those hunts, and I’ve been putting in since it was actually good. Now that I’ve invested so much emotionally into hunting elk in that country I don’t think there’s any going back, even though it ain’t what it was when I started chasing it. I have seen plenty of mediocre bulls shot on those tags, and to some people those bulls are trophies- to them just getting a LE tag and a chance to hunt in a target rich environment and maybe actually get a bull for a change is more important than breaking 350“.

As someone who actually has enough points to have lightning strike and draw one of these years, this interests me. Wondering if the OP has a similar bank of points or, with all due respect, is he like the dude from WY planning his moose hunt with 2 points to his name? I have always wanted to do one of those hunts, and I’ve been putting in since it was actually good. Now that I’ve invested so much emotionally into hunting elk in that country I don’t think there’s any going back, even though it ain’t what it was when I started chasing it. I have seen plenty of mediocre bulls shot on those tags, and to some people those bulls are trophies- to them just getting a LE tag and a chance to hunt in a target rich environment and maybe actually get a bull for a change is more important than breaking 350“.
The Breaks are an incredible place to elk hunt. If you draw the tag, a bit of advice. Obviously the biggest bull is probably the goal. In a LE area like the Breaks, it should be. After drawing, get info and do research. Ask questions of other hunters that have had the tag. Get a good idea of what the quality of bulls is. If possible get out there and get an idea of the country. Not necessarily to scout for elk, just get a lay of the land. Then, set a goal. Pass any bull that doesn't meet the goal. This part can be tough believe me. Being realistic is the best plan. One other thing, a social hunt is great. Bring friends and family to camp. When actually out and seriously hunting, bring one hunting partner you trust. mtmuley

The Breaks are an incredible place to elk hunt. If you draw the tag, a bit of advice. Obviously the biggest bull is probably the goal. In a LE area like the Breaks, it should be. After drawing, get info and do research. Ask questions of other hunters that have had the tag. Get a good idea of what the quality of bulls is. If possible get out there and get an idea of the country. Not necessarily to scout for elk, just get a lay of the land. Then, set a goal. Pass any bull that doesn't meet the goal. This part can be tough believe me. Being realistic is the best plan. One other thing, a social hunt is great. Bring friends and family to camp. When actually out and seriously hunting, bring one hunting partner you trust. mtmuley
My buddy has a Cessna and I have a boat. Should I draw, I intend to do it right. I just hope I can free up enough time to give it my all. I wish we did our draws way earlier so a guy could budget his free time better.

My buddy has a Cessna and I have a boat. Should I draw, I intend to do it right. I just hope I can free up enough time to give it my all. I wish we did our draws way earlier so a guy could budget his free time better.
Plane won't be of any help. In my opinion, the boat minimal. Couple ways to go about it. Locate a shooter before the opener. Pretty tough. Hunt the last couple weeks. Weather could be a factor. mtmuley

I have an older model 12 x 14 ft. Montana Canvas tent so that is solved. Used it this past fall for deer and elk with my father. Worked fairly well.
I was referencing an old post of mine too see if anyone caught on.....

The breaks are awesome, honestly one of my favorite areas I have ever hunted or been. It isn't a picnic hunt by any means. That said it can also happen wherever and whenever, on the first day or the last day or maybe not at all even which is not something anyone wants. One thing is for certain any breaks trip comes with an adventure and one hell of an experience......

Good luck! just remember to not ghost us when you draw. If you have questions reach out on the PM I have spent a fair amount of time in most of the districts over the years.....

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back