Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Opinion on MT Missouri River Breaks Special Rifle Tags (worth the bonus points?)

I’m applying for a breaks rifle tag this fall and will continue to do so, but with that said hunting elk in the Missouri Breaks is a hunt I’ve always wanted to do. I’m going to keep applying until I draw. If I don’t kill a giant that’s ok. Just something I’ve always wanted to do.
Quite a ways back when I was high school my brother drew arguably the most coveted breaks rifle tag with zero points. At the time I had no idea how lucky he was. He ended up getting a pretty good one but that was 15 years ago. To this day it’s still one of my favorite hunts to look back on. Whenever you do draw your tag just enjoy it, hunts like that don’t come around every year.

No I know. I was just saying I don’t want to be one of those guys who names an animal something like Thor The Hammer-Sword of Gondor or something stupid like they do on the YouTubes
This is no kidding I got one named Gandalf the gray wizard😂😂. Yup I’m one of those guys!!!

• Haha
Reactions: DFS
I’d recommend if you find a good bull I’d kill it as soon as you can. Window shopping isn’t a good idea up there as there are so many deer hunters that there’s a good chance your bull gets bumped and ends up miles away.
This.
When I had a permit several years ago, I walked away from a 280 ish bull 2 hours into the first day. I could have shot him at 70 yards. Walking out that night my dad said "I hope you don't regret this, I would have shot that elk.". Fast forward getting rained out, broken 4 wheelers, mud on top of mud, I never saw another bull even close to that one over the 3 trips I was in there. Deer hunters had the elk scattered into the wind and it only got worse the closer to the mule deer rut. I ended up eating that permit.

My son an I had the 410 tag last yr (2021). I hunted 26 days, my son hunted 12. We saw lots of bulls but we honestly never laid eyes on a bull that would go better than 320 on public or during legal hours...I did find 2 decent bulls (320iosh) the last weekend one morning but I couldn't get closer than 810 yrds and never saw them again. If your looking to shoot a 280-290 6x6 , then IMO easy peasy imo...if your looking for quality I sure would look elsewhere.

This quality of bull was easy to find

Attachments

• 1125211018.jpg
    1125211018.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
My son an I had the 410 tag last yr (2021). I hunted 26 days, my son hunted 12. We saw lots of bulls but we honestly never laid eyes on a bull that would go better than 320 on public or during legal hours...I did find 2 decent bulls (320iosh) the last weekend one morning but I couldn't get closer than 810 yrds and never saw them again. If your looking to shoot a 280-290 6x6 , then IMO easy peasy imo...if your looking for quality I sure would look elsewhere.

410 is still running off its decade and a half or more ago reputation. Pretty sad to see what it’s become.

You are king douche #1 around here.

Says the 🤡 that literally typed this 👇. I've been here for a minute or two and have read some dumb AF posts...this takes the cake LOL. You are special Ben. Truly.

I don’t understand why many of you feel so entitled to the ability to hunt all over the place. A lot of it comes off as greed, particularly the people who are shooting multiple bull elk each year. Just because you can doesn’t necessarily mean you should. It doesn’t seem right that some should take so much, take the food from the mouths of others and not even consume that food but donate it or whatever makes them feel good about the arrangement. Killing for the sake of killing, or to boost your ego, or boost your followers on social media- its not good. It’s not good for your karma. Some might call it sociopathic, to fly halfway around the world just to kill something. One day you may have to own up to all your killing, was it just?

Just a bunch of sociopaths on here :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:💀

I remember a buddy drew this rifle tag in like 1999 or 2000. Opening day he saw close to 45 bulls. Missed a big one in the morning and "settled" for a legit 360-370 bull in the afternoon. He said he saw a lot of bulls that size. Wow how things have changed!!

I remember a buddy drew this rifle tag in like 1999 or 2000. Opening day he saw close to 45 bulls. Missed a big one in the morning and "settled" for a legit 360-370 bull in the afternoon. He said he saw a lot of bulls that size. Wow how things have changed!!
It's amazing what 2000 archery tags 250 rifle tags for 22 years and as of lately an 8 month cow season can do for a district that was one of the best......

It's amazing what 2000 archery tags 250 rifle tags for 22 years and as of lately an 8 month cow season can do for a district that was one of the best......
Even heard of a few early season rifle hunts for bulls going on occasionally.

I think it’s more than 250 as well. I worked with a guy that got a call first part of august informing him that they were wanting to kill more bulls that year and asked him if he’d like the permit since he’d applied earlier that spring and was unsuccessful. That was 4 years ago maybe

Even heard of a few early season rifle hunts for bulls going on occasionally.

I think it’s more than 250 as well. I worked with a guy that got a call first part of august informing him that they were wanting to kill more bulls that year and asked him if he’d like the permit since he’d applied earlier that spring and was unsuccessful. That was 4 years ago maybe
Were the January bull photos floating around a few years ago in 410 or 417? Seems like those two districts see some very creative regulations.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back