Opinion on MT Missouri River Breaks Special Rifle Tags (worth the bonus points?)

samuel_284Win

Fellow HT members,
I would like to hear your input on if the Montana Elk Special Rifle permits for the Breaks units (both north and south of the river, and not unit 700) are worth burning accumulated bonus points on? I deer hunted the Breaks this past fall and would love to experience an elk hunt in that country on a LE tag but don't want to "waste" my points on a hunt that is subpar for the total points invested if that makes sense. Would love to hear people's thoughts on this, especially if you have had one of these tags in the past.

Fellow HT members,
I would like to hear your input on if the Montana Elk Special Rifle permits for the Breaks units (both north and south of the river, and not unit 700) are worth burning accumulated bonus points on? I deer hunted the Breaks this past fall and would love to experience an elk hunt in that country on a LE tag but don't want to "waste" my points on a hunt that is subpar for the total points invested if that makes sense. Would love to hear people's thoughts on this, especially if you have had one of these tags in the past.
What are you looking for in the hunt? Do you want to chase big bulls or are you more interested in just being into a fair amount of elk? Or do you have a desire to hunt them in a certain type of terrain?

It all depends what you want. Most of the breaks units don’t have many “big” bulls anymore. They also tend to have a fair amount of hunters. However, it’s awesome country and you could have a lot of fun looking for something special if you have time. If you’re just looking to shoot a high scoring bull then I’d definitely look elsewhere.

Man I should read better. NOT 700

In that case I hunted with a friend in 410 for his bull tag two years ago. He spent most of the season up there. Ended up killing a bull right at 300”. Lots of small bulls. You will see a ton of elk just not the size there use to be.

Last edited:
I would sure have to think hard about burning a lot of points on a rifle permit there. You'll see a fair amount of elk, but it is NO WHERE near what it used to be. It could be world class but they would need to slash both archery permits as well as rifle permits. There are good bulls to be found, but like mtmuley said you can kill a six point. I would sure love to ask some of these guys what they thought about their thoughts of the hunt after buring more than 15 points on the permit.

It really depends on what you want. If you want a really high chance to kill a average decent 6 point in some really cool country, then yes, it’s a good hunt. Sure there are a few better bulls still, but the quality is a shell of what it was 15 years ago when I first hunted there. The overall numbers are 1/2-2/3 of what they were. This is speaking strictly on the north side. Strictly from a quality standpoint, I don’t think most breaks units are worth the 10+ points it’ll most likely take if killing a better bull is important to you.

I’ll be the one to disagree here, I guess.

I wouldn’t have any Problem “burning” points on those units. Drawing any other unit with “monster” bulls isn’t a sure thing no matter how many points you have. In fact drawing the breaks units isn’t a sure thing either.

Breaks elk tags frequently make it on my application. I say if you have a good chance to pull it then apply. It’ll be a cool hunt and you should get into elk. It’ll be a lot of fun and better than most general hunts unless you have a honey hole somewhere. Bonus points don’t do you any good just sitting there unless you are just absolutely dead set on hunting 380 one day - which night not ever happen given the odds.

I’ll be the one to disagree here, I guess.

I wouldn’t have any Problem “burning” points on those units. Drawing any other unit with “monster” bulls isn’t a sure thing no matter how many points you have. In fact drawing the breaks units isn’t a sure thing either.

Breaks elk tags frequently make it on my application. I say if you have a good chance to pull it then apply. It’ll be a cool hunt and you should get into elk. It’ll be a lot of fun and better than most general hunts unless you have a honey hole somewhere. Bonus points don’t do you any good just sitting there unless you are just absolutely dead set on hunting 380 one day - which night not ever happen given the odds.
The Breaks should, and could be world class. Too many tags now so that it can be a "fun" hunt. mtmuley

Have at it. Don't pass up a 250 bull. mtmuley
With all due respect and out of curiosity do you spend much time in the breaks every year? At least enough to qualify saying don’t pass up a 250 bull? Realistically from what I’ve seen if a person has time to dedicate to almost any of the breaks units they can with no hesitation pass all of the 250 bulls they see and should be able to find a respectable 6 point. Now if those tags are worth the points it takes to draw is probably the better conversation to be had

With all due respect and out of curiosity do you spend much time in the breaks every year? At least enough to qualify saying don’t pass up a 250 bull? Realistically from what I’ve seen if a person has time to dedicate to almost any of the breaks units they can with no hesitation pass all of the 250 bulls they see and should be able to find a respectable 6 point. Now if those tags are worth the points it takes to draw is probably the better conversation to be had
He said with all due respect so anything goes 😂

• Wow
Reactions: Hem
How many points are you "burning"?

I don't think the breaks is a shit burner spot, it's a fun adventure and that country is unreal and humbling to say the least.

Why don't you try archery hunting it and saving your points then decide if it's what you like.

Any of the breaks units are a tough mental grind. There's no picnic up there for sure.

Good luck.

Breaks are fun until you get 6” of snow opening day morning. Then again 2 weeks later. Might want to view the thread about where to store your tire chains.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back