One More Elk Hunt!

Roadtrip

Man, it has been hard watching all the threads, looking at the pics, laughing at moosies jokes and wishing I was able to go hunt a big ass moss back critter. My hunt has to be the last one of the year or close to it. Leaving in 2 weeks (Dec 7th) for 10 days hunting outside of Jackson Hole and I'm sure I'll be ass deep in snow after checking the newest forcast. Never hunted this late in the year and since I'm usually dressed in flip flops at the beach, I'm sure that 5 degree weather is gonna take some adjusting to. I'll take a few photos and try to post up for those that want to see one more hunt. Hope everyone had a great Holiday....

Cheers
Roadtrip

...try inhaling a snow cone while running the treadmill at max incline.:D

Best of luck Rtrip...looking fwd. to pics.

Good luck! Though mine's for a cow, I have a tag that runs from this past Saturday until the end of January! So, I might be hunting a bit later than you... ;)

Damn thing is they said I could not hunt the refuge...go figure. I thought I would just put out a big ole corn pile for them moosie. I'm hunting in # 78. Forecast is good for weather to move elk...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I understand about being anxious while WE were hunting. Now we (I, at least) are jealous that you get to hunt; bring back stories.

Ok guys....we made it to Wyoming simply because some kind lady at the Salt Lake Airport talked the captain into opening up the door on the plane. Captain was cool about it....said we can't go anywhere anyway. Found the hotel...(First time I ever have been able to crash at a hotel and hunt elk, damn glad about it too since the low was supposed to be 5 degrees.) Never seen the Elk refuge....took one look at it and thought to myself...look at all those tenderloin steaks that need to be grilled! DAMN. Figured they might not take to kindly to a redneck from NC squeezing off a shot at them so decided it would be best to go meet the fellow that said we could hunt his ranch. Takes a little while to get adjusted here.....first...can't by beer at a convenience store. Damn again. Second...some of the ski bunnies/tree hugging types seem like they would rather eat Tofu than Elk. Are they crazy? Got the lay of the land of the ranch and a key to the gate and decided not to waste time and get in an evening hunt. After slipping through a dried up river bed off the banks of the snake, I found a few bulls bedded down. My partner had never gotten a shot a bigger bull so I told him to get his gun and we would see if one was worth taking. Well...he wasn't sure about the bull and I told him he could use my shoulder and take a good look through his scope. (big mistake). See...he shoots a 7mm mag that is ported....and next thing I know...bull turns sideways and I can't hear anything but a loud whistle in my ears. I look at him...and he mouths something at me (can't hear shit at this point)...and I reckoned that he shot it. Communication breaks down at this point....he keeps mouthing things at me...and I don't read lips. *Mental note...donate some money to the deaf school in town, they earn it* SO...my man says he hit it good...I chill for a while then slip forward to look for the bull...what do I see but the bull standing looking at me...so I ask...is that the one you shot? Clayton comes back with the "I don't know" look...great...I tell him...shoot it again, hell empty the gun. Tough critters these WY bulls. Anyway...One tag is filled...another one is left. Hope all of you guys have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS...we are all blessed to be able to hunt such wonderful creatures.

Cheers, Roadtrip.

Attachments

• Wyoming Bull.jpg
    Wyoming Bull.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 275
Pretty good, walk in and shoot one. Congratulations!

I guess you didn't yell at your friend much for that shot. You want him to help with your elk maybe? Good luck! Hear, use my shoulder, got it, I should not do that if they guy has a muzzle break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back