Yeti GOBOX Collection

Old/new Ruger m77

BuzzH

This was my first big-game rifle that my Dad and Grandfather bought for me in 1979. Ruger m77 in 6mm Remington, built in 1978.

As with most rifle that kids start out with, this one took a pretty good whoopin' over the years, nice way of saying I beat the shit out of it. I cant say for sure, but counting empty bullet boxes, and making a guess on the number of factory rounds I shot through it...would have to guess 7k rounds. I noticed a couple years back that it just wouldn't group like it used to. It was a consistent 3/4 inch rifle, but being how I shot it a lot at ground squirrels and prairie dogs, often times lots of rounds fast, the throat was just gone. I have killed a lot of game with it, mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn, elk, black bear, bighorn sheep, javelina, coyotes, etc.

buzzwtdoe2.JPG

Decided to completely rework it, so I sent the action off to pacnor, had them duplicate the factory contour, 1-8 twist, 23" barrel, 3R, 11 degree crown, chrome moly super match grade barrel, chambered in 6mm Remington again, fit, yada yada. Had their smith redo all the bluing on the action and blue the new barrel as well.

This last winter, I refinished the stock and hope to bring this rifle to back to life. I hope it shoots as well as it did new...looks new anyway.

IMG952343.jpg

That's fantastic. You'll have a blast hunting with it this fall. Sheep?

I started out hunting with a 6mm also, although a 788. I would love to own that rifle.

I have two old tang safety M77s, one shoots great the other not so much. I’ve been looking to do what you did to the non shooter. Looking forward to hearing how yours shoots. Looks great!

I'd guess it will shoot great with that new Pac Nor barrel installed! It sure looks good.

I had a 6mm Rem, a Remington 700. Got it in 1974. Some years back my son decided that it was his deer, coyote & varmint rifle, and has kept me employed cranking out handloaded ammo for it! :)

You've got a nice rifle chambered for a nice cartridge. Enjoy!

Nicely done Buzz. Have you resprung the trigger and stoned it? They clean up pretty easy.
Also what bullets you plan on shooting with the 8 twist? My 8 twist loves 105gr.

Nicely done Buzz. Have you resprung the trigger and stoned it? They clean up pretty easy.
Also what bullets you plan on shooting with the 8 twist? My 8 twist loves 105gr.

Trigger is clean, had it worked a while ago.

I've got a bunch of the old style 100 grain nosler solid base, but I keep hoping that nosler will come out with a 105 grain accubond.

Going to give the 105 grain scenar's a whirl too.

The scenar’s are a wicked bullet. I think you will be impressed with the results.

Like the way a M77 tang safety unclutters the bolt shroud, naturally handy also...walnut and blue is undefeated. Fun caliber.

Good moves on the redo Buzz.

This was my first big-game rifle that my Dad and Grandfather bought for me in 1979. Ruger m77 in 6mm Remington, built in 1978.

As with most rifle that kids start out with, this one took a pretty good whoopin' over the years, nice way of saying I beat the shit out of it. I cant say for sure, but counting empty bullet boxes, and making a guess on the number of factory rounds I shot through it...would have to guess 7k rounds. I noticed a couple years back that it just wouldn't group like it used to. It was a consistent 3/4 inch rifle, but being how I shot it a lot at ground squirrels and prairie dogs, often times lots of rounds fast, the throat was just gone. I have killed a lot of game with it, mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn, elk, black bear, bighorn sheep, javelina, coyotes, etc.

buzzwtdoe2.JPG

Decided to completely rework it, so I sent the action off to pacnor, had them duplicate the factory contour, 1-8 twist, 23" barrel, 3R, 11 degree crown, chrome moly super match grade barrel, chambered in 6mm Remington again, fit, yada yada. Had their smith redo all the bluing on the action and blue the new barrel as well.

This last winter, I refinished the stock and hope to bring this rifle to back to life. I hope it shoots as well as it did new...looks new anyway.

IMG952343.jpg
Beautiful rifle!!!!

Very much yes. Nice lines & lots of history.

Dad traded a Winchester model 12 & beat up old rolling block for my first rifle, a similar 77 in 7x57. I rebareled mine as well. Love having that connection with a firearm.

Very nicely done! Love the mix of old and new in that rifle. Can't wait to see how many tags it helps you punch!

Back