Oklahoma archery buck

huntinfool5

I decided to take off work the week before the annual rifle season to do some bowhunting before the woods got crowded with rifle hunters. On the 14th at 4:20 in the afternoon guess what came strolling by at 44 yds. Yep, this Oklahoma public land MONSTER! He's a main frame 10 pt with five kickers, my best buck to date with bow or gun, to say I was pumped was a understatement.
As I heard something coming down the hillside, I stood up and got ready not knowing for sure what it was, hopeing it was decent buck. As he came into view, HOLY CRAP, he was a no douter. He worked his way toward me but I could tell he was gonna go wide left of me instead 20 yds from my stand where the acorns were falling. I didn't want to call to him because it was so wide open and I figured him being a mature deer wouldn't hang around long not seeing the deer that was had just called to him. A little panic started to set in as I would try to range the hillside through the trees he would be through my opening before I could get my bow drawn. I look the way he was headed and quickly found the last opening and ranged 44yds, I drew as he entered the opening, I tried to stop him with a grunt but he didn't check up, I pulled to the front of the opening and when his shoulder hit my pin I let fly.
I saw the hit was a little far back, bout 6 inchs or so, he laid down within 20yds. I knew he was hurt bad to lay down that quick, I'm trying to think how I'm going to get out of here without spooking him and let him lay for a few hours. I was gonna sit till dark and try to slip out,had about a hour togo. 30 min into the wait he gets up, crap, I was thinking don't get out of my sight please, I know liver shot deer sometimes go along way and don't bleed much and the river was olny a 100yds and I didn't want him to get in it. To my relief he only made it bout 15 are 20 yds before he went down again. Maybe he's down for good this time. I had bout 25 min till dark and bout 20 min into the wait I could hear something makeing all kinds of racket in the cains along the river, I'm looking trying to see what it is when look back at my deer he's running toward the river in the opposite direction of the noise, it was a freaking hog coming and he went right the way my buck headed, I'm thinking, that's it he's gone, the hog is gonna push him into the river or out of the country, dam it. I climbed down in disguss, gather my stuff and headed to the last spot I saw him. There was pretty good blood, I followed it to the rivers edge and he turned and headed up river, I decided to back out and give 5 are 6 hours and hope the hog didn't push him. I met up with my dad an told him the story and he agreed it would be best to wait a while.
We got back to camp and I called a buddy of mine for help with the tracking, I figured the more eyes the better. We headed out bout 11:00 that night, we picked up the blood trail where I left off and he's still headed up river not three feet from the water, I just know he got in the river, I'm trailing in the tall grass and start up a small hump on the river bank, there he is laying not 40 yds from where I had quit trailing that evening. High fives and shouts as you can imagine my excitement. Well, that's my story, hope I didn't bore you guys to death. Maybe you'll enjoy the pics, and for title Oklahoma MONSTER, I know he's not the biggest buck out there but he's a goodun for a Okie. Check out the velvet on the end of the beams and g-4's

Attachments

• 15 pt 1.jpg
    15 pt 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 476
  • 15pt.jpg
    15pt.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 15pt2.jpg
    15pt2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 038 15pt.jpg
    038 15pt.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 476
I would call that a Monster as well HF5. Congrats!

I archery hunt OK.(around Canton,OK) whitetail every year as well. I think I am the only idiot toting a bow during gun season. I think OK is an under rated Whitetail state and if we could get the gun season moved out of the rut it would be something really special for trophy Whitetail.

Great story and pic!! Congrats on a beautiful buck!! Also a good testament to how we need to stay back and out on marginal hit deer for the best odds of recovery. You showed great patience, Good Job!! Now to shoot some of those dang pigs!! As much as I would love to hunt them and get one someday, I'm so glad we don't have them where I hunt whitetails.

For him to be your best to date is saying something. Congrats on another great buck.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back