PEAX Equipment

***OFFICIAL*** 2023 SPRING BEAR THREAD

I live in Pa and we had a mild winter their is a cam in a den live stream to watch a sow and her cubs over winter they just left the den about a week ago so with all the snow some of you folks got this winter they may be a bit late getting moving this yr

There is a moment that occurs occasionally on a year like this that wears on even the most hardened spring bear aficionado. It's 4:00pm, and you're slightly late to your glassing spot. The snow is the consistency of a mountain dew slushy. On one hand you want to take the snowshoes off because they make it that much harder to drag your sinking feet back up through the snow; also there are bare patches of uneven rocks every 100 yds. On the other hand, if you take them off you'll wish you hadn't because you'll be up to your crotch every other step. If you stash them for the walk back, you're bound to come to one of those log crossings that requires a snowshoe dismount because the rootwad on the other side is covered in snow and you can't tell WTF you're getting yourself into.

Sometimes, at that moment, I just sit down and drink a beer. Maybe see if something walks by. #sickforit #pbrshape

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where you guys are planning to hunt bear, but I visited a local "early season" place on Saturday where I once shot a bear on April 21st. The snow was not less than 4' deep where I shot that bear, and certainly WAY more than that right around there. Where I live, unless we're lucky on weather - there could be insane runoff this year. I've never seen any snow like this in my life, not even close.

72EACDEC-BB20-4EB7-A692-ABA274AE75DB.jpeg4CCEED72-DDB4-4095-AB78-9807DB2A77D7.jpeg884747F5-9BAC-41A5-91F9-362A1C048D60.jpeg5C5F3D96-05EA-4D5C-805C-FA960AA664B9.jpeg

I don't know where you guys are planning to hunt bear, but I visited a local "early season" place on Saturday where I once shot a bear on April 21st. The snow was not less than 4' deep where I shot that bear, and certainly WAY more than that right around there. Where I live, unless we're lucky on weather - there could be insane runoff this year. I've never seen any snow like this in my life, not even close.

View attachment 272327View attachment 272328View attachment 272329View attachment 272330
If I show those pictures to my wife we’ll be making a snowshoe roady trip.

All goes well Sunday I think I’ll set my bear bait close to town. I applied for a couple new jobs so waiting to hear from them before I commit to setting up my normal bear baits in more northern Sask. if I don’t get the job I’ll get those out if I do get the job I’ll run my close to town spot until I move in later may

Friend of mine got a bear the other day on our opener. Unbelievably rubbed already, super weird. He snowshoed into a nasty river breaks canyon

Friend of mine got a bear the other day on our opener. Unbelievably rubbed already, super weird. He snowshoed into a nasty river breaks canyon
Sometimes they just come out rubbed. I have one I think he has a skin condition as he comes out rubbed every year.

Warming up slowly in the mountains.Looking like I will head out on the 26-27th. for a couple days.......depending on how much snow I encounter,I may just shoot with a camera.... got this boar about 5 years ago.....my back was so sore,I could hardly walk.....I was over 250# at the time....down to about 225# and back to 100% Now I'M just old lol DSCF2170.JPG

What's he square out at? Looks to be north of 19 for sure. Cmon from one 9er fan to another I'll trade you a MT 4' 520 road sow for some Idaho deets🤣
Im still talking about 2022 because this blind hog got his truffle, anyway you asked me last year and after a year in the freezer it's clean and done. Came out to 19 7/8"
20220516_134604.jpg
20230422_095922.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back