Yeti GOBOX Collection

Off Season Upgrades and Tinkerings...

My Bergara B-14 Hunter is a great shooter and has been very easy to load for, but I wasn’t crazy about the stock, and the bluing was junk and prone to surface rust. So I:
• Replaced the stock with a Grayboe Outlander
• Had the bolt fluted at LRI cuz I think it looks cool and @JLS has assures me it’ll increase my MV by at least 100 fps. @Schaaf’s words about spiral fluting also piqued my interest...
• Had the barreled action cerakoted in midnight bronze and the bolt and bottom metal done in blackout.
• Installed a Timney Calvin Elite set at two pounds. (I actually like the Bergara trigger just fine, but I got the Timney for free so why not?)

The picture is bad but I like the way the rifle turned out. View attachment 177604
I like it! How did your changes affect weight? I've always thought those Bergaras were a good deal, but they're heavy for my tastes.

I bent a stock on one of my shotguns. I am not trying to figure out how to do leather covered buttpads on that one and one other.

This is a William Cashmore 12b undergoing the bending treatment.
fYfaTeS.jpg

Next up will be rejuvenating my boat and converting it to a duck hunting rig. New bearings for the trailer, etc.

I like it! How did your changes affect weight? I've always thought those Bergaras were a good deal, but they're heavy for my tastes.
Thanks! I haven’t weighed it, but it feels a tad lighter. If it’s lighter, I’d bet it’s by no more than a couple ounces. I like the Grayboe stock a bunch.

I think you and I will both be tackling pillars then! Hope it goes well for you! Good luck!

Thank you! I have read tons of articles, forum posts and anything else I can glean about it. This looks like a really good read. I appreciate you sending this!

Before Covid I bought a brand new VX-5HD for my .300wm. Wanted to develop a new non lead load before ordering my custom CDS. Then Covid hit and between the shut down and then the shortage of supplies I was unable to get a good load made. Now the scope is over a year old and I don’t have a load for it or a custom dial. I have scraped together just enough components to hopefully get it done this spring.

Before Covid I bought a brand new VX-5HD for my .300wm. Wanted to develop a new non lead load before ordering my custom CDS. Then Covid hit and between the shut down and then the shortage of supplies I was unable to get a good load made. Now the scope is over a year old and I don’t have a load for it or a custom dial. I have scraped together just enough components to hopefully get it done this spring.
Bullets readily available from Hammer. mtmuley

Bullets readily available from Hammer. mtmuley
:unsure: You’ve given me something to think about. I‘ve got about 60 e-tips left and have always been a Nosler guy. I really want to make them work. But the little testing I did was so so. And I’ve been reading all the great things people are saying about the Hammers. I’ve got a new powder to try as I’m hoping to develop a load out of components still available during an ammo panic/shortage so I‘m not in a similar situation as I was this season (3 rifle tags with only 10 rounds to my name). The fact that Hammers are available and E-tips are not fits that plan as well.

To do in spring 2021:
M70 Classic SM in.375H&H - Cerakote the barreled action and bottom metal in gun metal gray
M336 suppressed - dial in the trajectory/Burris Ballistic plex 2-7x for the Hornady Subsonic 175gr ammo
M98 custom .405win - check the Hornady 300gr sightin with the Williams Foolproof sight, add a barrel band front sling swivel
M700 7mm-08 heavy barrel- test the Leupold CDS at 300-400yds with the Barnes 120gr

I have a thread on my updates to my Marlin XL7 in 30-06. New Boyds stock and scope. Likes shooting Federal Fusions in 165gr.

Ordered a new Winchester Model 70 Super Grade Stainless in .264 Win. mag., should be here Tuesday. That rifle/caliber is one that I have been thinking about for a long time. Already got 2 boxes of factory Nosler Accubond 130 gr. ammo, and Leupold rings and bases for it, and just ordered the Butler Creek Flip Open Scope Covers, and Leupold VX-5/VX-6 throw lever for the upcoming scope. I have a certain scope in mind for it, and @schmalts will let me know when he sees one. This will likely be the last gun that I buy...might as well go out with a "bang", lol!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back