MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ode to Uncle Elton

Those look like some fun times. I have been doing a little bit of the same thing but then the water turned to this.

Attachments

• flood 058.JPG
    flood 058.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Way to go Randy and Uncle Elton. Those that are critics of trapping have no clue as to what it really is about. This thread speaks well of the heritage we pass along.

BTW, last year while I was cleaning the grass of my 330 coni when it jumped up on my forearm.

You know it's damn tough getting one of those off, with only the use of one hand.

Maybe I should have kept that a little secrete between me and every animal inside a quarter mile that knew about it.:D

Thats pretty cool. A great way to get outside and make some extra cash

Another morning of checking traps resulted in an afternoon of skinning and fleshing. I almost hope I don't catch anymore beaver, after skinning and fleshing these two today. But, given the beaver are starting to move a lot, I suspect I will get some more time on the beaver blades.

IMG_2607.JPG

You saw this "before" pic in an earlier post. Here is another "after" pic. Two beaver in two checks, at this trap. good thing I only had three beaver sets. Put out one more today.
IMG_2591.JPG

Here is what a 40# beaver looks like after he sticks his head in a 330 conibear. You can see what kind of a bind Shoots would be in to have one of those on his arm.

IMG_2592.JPG

Ten muskrats make are worth twice what those two beaver are worth, and about one tenth of the work, of one beaver.

IMG_2595.JPG

What a very cool thread. That huge smile on uncle Elton's face says that it's all worth it, regardless of any extra cash that comes from the effort. Bringing that kind of joy and re-kindling the love of the outdoors to someone in the latter stages of his life is what it's all about. Well done Randy! I think this thread makes us all want to go trapping…….and have an uncle Elton

Put out a set yesterday that seemed like one of those "can't miss" locations. Well, this guy wanted to prove it was a "can't miss" location Must not be many guys trapping this section of the river, given the age and size of the rodents I am catching.

More skinning and fleshing than I care to do. But, the landowner walked down to the set with me and he was very happy to see this web-footed logger in the conibear.

IMG_2612.JPG

Why beaver like to travel these narrow little channels to make scent mounds at the back end, is beyond me, but surely makes them easier to catch. This one has made his last scent mound.
IMG_2609.JPG

Found five muskrats in my short string of traps this morning, covering the gas money, Starbucks, and a little to spare. Should have had seven. A mink or otter got one that was in a conibear and another got away.

The one that got away had the last laugh, today. I walked up to a set and a rat was below the lip of the three-foot river bank, in about an inch of water, gnawing on my carrot as if he had not a care in the world. As I snuck up to dispatch him, he dove in the water, disappearing, and straightening out trap wire to its end. He popped up about twenty feet from shore. WTH? I only have about two feet of wire on the trap.

I walk down to the set, reel in the wire, and find only a toenail in the trap. Damn it. As much as he loves carrots, he will not survive his next carrot thievery. The last laugh will be mine.

Wow, you are quite the fur catcher for sure! Looks to me like Elton taught you a whole lot more than just trapping. Good job done by both of you. That has to be about as good as we get on this world.

I have a friend here in Ohio that traps beaver and makes jerky out of them. He says it is pretty good but I haven't got a chance to try it yet.

Great Story

Randy, You have the ability to really tell a great story, whether it's here on-line, on OYONA or Freash Tracks. Thanks for sharing and I hope you will continue.

Awesome story Randy,I'm sure you and Elt have been having a blast.I can only imagine the stories being told while riding in the pickup.Any of you that know Elt realize that is where Randy got his gift of storytelling.The only difference is Elt's stories need more use of the bleep button.Seeing that open water sure gives me the fever to get out and catch some of them beaver, we still have feet of snow on the ground and everything is froze up tight.

I've eaten muskrats a couple times. Tastes too much like they smell in my opinion. Not bad, just not very good. Beaver are another story, I would rather have a freezer full of beaver straps and rear quarters than elk any day. Pull the backstraps out and eat them however you want. Take rear quarter, bone out and in roast pot with carrots, taters, celery and onion. Simply can't be beat. Throw tails in enemy's yard on way to work. nasty

Just finished with today's haul. I am about done with the beaver skinning operation. They are a ton of work, especially when they are the size of these ones.

IMG_2624.JPG

This big male came from the same location as on Monday. Two checks of the trap and two big beaver. Hopefully that is all who live there.

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

A good morning of rats. I am pulling a few traps every day, thinking they are getting thinned out in some spots. Ten of them are worth the time, gas, and effort to take care of them. The beaver, not so much.

IMG_2631.JPG

Thinking I might pull everything in the next week. Got plenty of reorganizing and planning to do in preparation of a new filming season.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back