Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ode to Uncle Elton

And if you want to see mounds of beaver, like a mound of 100 of them, MNtaxidermist could probably produce that for you faster than anyone I know. I always threaten that I am going to head back to MN in April and tag along with him on his beaver lines. But, the idea that he might decide to skin all of those, and enlist my help in doing so, is enough to keep me away.

Anyone who skins 100 beaver a year is more than a man in my book. They are the worst IMO. I"ll stick to Marten and bobcats.;)

Don't worry Randy if you come tag along beaver trapping you wont have to skin them. I gave up skinning large numbers of them years ago.Now if I cant sell them whole I don't catch very many.I must admit I'm getting pretty excited for spring beaver trapping, its been a long cold winter.

Absolutely super thing you did! Major kudos to you! You gave Elt something that very few could or would have done. My dad's illness came and went too fast for me to be able to give him a similar gift. That is something that I regret to this day.

What a WONDERFULLY AWESOME and thoughtful gesture Randy!

Also, thanks for taking us along.

Great thread and tribute. Also, thanks for showing those of us who havent trapped how it is done with the tutorial. Pretty cool and if I ever feel the urge to go head-to-head with a rat, I know where to start!

How fortunate to have the relationship and memories between the two of you. I really enjoyed reading your story.

As a side note I to trapped as youngster in the early-mid 70's catching rats and coons. This year my son took up trapping coon (very few rats in my area anymore) and did quite well (several days bringing home 10 or more). The new DP (dog proof) coon traps make it so simple now.

Great story and tribute Randy! Glad to hear your Uncle is still fighting and I hope he sees many more Christmases!

Fin, anyone that says or remotely thinks you're not one of the kindest, biggest hearted men should be checked in to a insane asylum. Thanks for being the man you are, and someone we should strive to be like! Great write up as always!

I really enjoyed this thread Randy. It's really great that he played such an important role in your youth and a testament to his success that you now possess the character to give back in his time of need.

Uncle Elton had a good period of health for the last couple weeks, so he called and asked if I had time to set out another line of traps that he and I could check each morning. Even though things are pretty busy for me during this time of year, I am pretty sure it will be our last trapline time together, so about ten days ago, I set out a string of traps along some ditches and where some landowners told me they were having muskrat and beaver problems.

Here are a few more pics of the week Elton was here.

Some days are nice and it makes it a lot easier for Elton to walk around and enjoy the outdoors. This was a good day of almost 20 rats and one big buck mink.
IMG_2563.JPG

Some March days in Montana just suck. This was one of those days. But, muskrats don't really seem to care about the weather.
IMG_2560.JPG

Elton's last day was Monday. This is what was in the traps yesterday. Ten muskrats, a big beaver, and two buck mink.
IMG_2587.JPG

On the last day of wolf season, I felt I needed to give it one last try. So, I snowshoed way the hell up the ridges, only to have almost zero visibility. It was futile, so I headed back to the parking lot.

About a half mile from the truck, I heard some coyotes yipping, so I set up and did some squeak calls. The coyotes shut up and a red fox tried to run me over. Almost had to shoot him in self defense. Spooked the crap out of me when he showed up on the dead run at about three yards. I think he was equally scared, given he stopped at about 40 yards and gave that look of panic. His time of worry was short-lived. Beautiful fur.
IMG_2556.JPG

Some may wonder what a beaver set looks like. This is a 330-size Conibear trap. I only use them in water sets. This time of year, beaver are starting to look for mates, so if you drip some ground up castors up on the bank and set a trap out in front, it works pretty slick.

Here is the before picture from Wednesday.
IMG_2574.JPG

Here is the "after" picture from yesterday.
IMG_2570.JPG

A pretty big beaver. Once skinned, fleshed, and stretched, he will be sized as a "blanket" and will bring about $25. A ton of work for $25.
IMG_2571.JPG

Some perspective of how big he was. Anyone want some beavertail soup? I have some tails for you.
IMG_2572.JPG

So far, the tally for these two weeks of shenanigans:

196 muskrats
3 beaver
6 mink
1 raccoon

Good things rats are averaging around $10, or I would have some serious 'splainin' to do with Mrs. Fin about the gas budget this winter.

The landowners are now starting to report more beaver problems as the beaver disperse and set up shop in appealing areas. I tell the landowners I will rid the beaver at no cost, so long as they let me trap muskrats. If they won't let me trap rats, it will cost them money or duck hunting access. And if that is not a deal they can accept, they can just live in the company of beaver.

I am down to a lot fewer traps, as I have to check every morning and with the busy period upon me, I don't have the hours to spare in checking the line and skinning and stretching all evening. The goal is to finish with 250 rats by the tiime season closes on April 15th.

Elton probably won't make another trip. It is time for him to make some rounds to see his kids and grandkids. He loves walleye fishing and that is easier on the body than slogging around in the water, so I expect the walleyes will bear the brunt of his efforts when his health allows.

Hope to have some more pics to post as time allows. Thanks to Uncle Elton for getting me back out trapping. I was very serious about trapping at one time, but had found reasons to get away from it. Now, I remember how much fun it is and how it can be done in spare time.

Regardless of the money that might come from the fur I sell, the memories of the last trapping days with Elton are priceless.

Back