NZ tahr hunt kiwi style

glass eye

Did the hard yards with a couple kiwis. Only hunted 5 days with 2 days of that being travel days. Didn't pull the trigger on a nice bull because retrieval would have been impossible. Next time I will dedicate more time to tahr and less on the waterfowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5cxFln2b5I&feature=youtu.be

NOTE: Export permits for birds can no longer be processed in Christchurch, they can only be done through Hamilton on the North Island. We had to leave our birds there.

Enjoyed the video. That is some beautiful country and I would love to hunt it someday! Catchy tune, that I feel sure will be in my head the rest of the day! Loved it all...with the exception of the beaten up toe pics!
Thanks for sharing!

Well done! You've definitely piqued my interest in trying a hunt there in DIY fashion.

Didn't even notice the video earlier.Looks like some tough miles there.Did you hunt any of the deer species out there??I got to get there and try it at least once

Didn't even notice the video earlier.Looks like some tough miles there.Did you hunt any of the deer species out there??I got to get there and try it at least once

We saw some hinds but no stags, lots of tracks. I have not targeted deer but if the opportunity presents itself it's going down.

Great vid. Captures what looks like an awesome trip. With a full day could you get to the nice bull at 4mins 30sec?

Great vid. Captures what looks like an awesome trip. With a full day could you get to the nice bull at 4mins 30sec?

With a full day or extra day he would eventually move to a better place. I plan to return and camp on the mountain. I took a small one person winter tent but left it in the car because my kiwi mates wanted to stay in huts. I like the comfort of a hut but you are limited to what's within range of the hut. We saw some tahr on our way in but with the urgency to cover ground and arrive at the hut we had to push on, but with a tent I could be flexible. Next time !

I agree with having a tent, especially if the weather is good. The best thing about missing out is when you do get a big winter tahr the success is so much sweeter.

Back