Caribou Gear

2016 new zealand tahr hunt

no issue bringing them back into usa i had the skin salted and dried and the head/horns boiled and cleaned. plus i had a certificate of export
from DOC [ $40 ] and a declaration of compliance [ $25 ] from a local tannery
all money well spent as i have come past customs now a few times and each time with these papers in hand and i get right past with only an xray

the declaration of compliance is just that . i got my letter from a tannery and in a nut shell it say he has inspected my hides/head/horns and found them to meet the requirements for transport and importation into the usa based on what the usa requires for bring them in. it is not needed but i have paid the price $25 nz funds for this added paper work and so far to date i have passed all the customs check stations with flying colors. it is just 1 more pc of paper that helps me if i ever come up against a customs officer that does not really know what is needed or how the hides/heads/horn really need to ba.

if there was a letter like this that states my ammo is in compliance i would pay for that pc of paper also. sadly there is no such pc of paper. with the very limited about of travel i have done with firearms and ammo . so far the only brick wall that ever seems to come up is not my heads/hides horns but my ammo
some airlines allow my ammo to be in with the rifle in a box and the rifle case locked up after inspecting it. others want the ammo in my checked bags
then some want my ammo in a checked bag and that bag also locked. then you run into what aus. wants and the hard part about what aus wants is my ammo can not be boxed that way . aus says my ammo needs to be in my checked bag ok i can do that then the ammo needs to in factory ammo box which i can not meet this need. here is why . i have hand loaded ammo that is a wildcat and there is not to date a factory loaded round for this wildcat so not factory ammo to use. my wildcat is a 25x47 and i do have my ammo in a ammo box just not a factory ammo box. seem like not a big which in 90% of the time is just fine. on this last trip the girl behind the counter said my little blue box my ammo is in does not meet there needs. i told her in full detail that my little blue box is stronger and better for travel that a factory box but she was not buying this so i had to ask her to get somebody that is a bit higher up then her pay grade. this guy shows up and after 10 min of going back and forth he said he would allow it . really ? 10 min wasted on a brain dead girl behind a counter is still 10 min wasted as she will never get it and i am sure many others after me will get the same answer from her and some might just give in and loose there ammo which could really be bad when they get to where they plan to hunt.

Last edited:
if there was a letter like this that states my ammo is in compliance i would pay for that pc of paper also. sadly there is no such pc of paper. with the very limited about of travel i have done with firearms and ammo . so far the only brick wall that ever seems to come up is not my heads/hides horns but my ammo
some airlines allow my ammo to be in with the rifle in a box and the rifle case locked up after inspecting it. others want the ammo in my checked bags
then some want my ammo in a checked bag and that bag also locked. then you run into what aus. wants and the hard part about what aus wants is my ammo can not be boxed that way . aus says my ammo needs to be in my checked bag ok i can do that then the ammo needs to in factory ammo box which i can not meet this need. here is why . i have hand loaded ammo that is a wildcat and there is not to date a factory loaded round for this wildcat so not factory ammo to use. my wildcat is a 25x47 and i do have my ammo in a ammo box just not a factory ammo box. seem like not a big which in 90% of the time is just fine. on this last trip the girl behind the counter said my little blue box my ammo is in does not meet there needs. i told her in full detail that my little blue box is stronger and better for travel that a factory box but she was not buying this so i had to ask her to get somebody that is a bit higher up then her pay grade. this guy shows up and after 10 min of going back and forth he said he would allow it . really ? 10 min wasted on a brain dead girl behind a counter is still 10 min wasted as she will never get it and i am sure many others after me will get the same answer from her and some might just give in and loose there ammo which could really be bad when they get to where they plan to hunt.
You experienced the same issue i did when i traveled to Montana last time then, not nice is it, when you come up against a jobsworth, at least you got them to see sense, i couldn't.
Cheers
Richard

devon you lost out with them because you are a nice guy and went along with there bullshit findings so as to not miss your plane. i am an asshole that will never take no as an answer from somebody behind a desk with the IQ of my shoe laces. oh and yes i did miss my plane but i still have my hand loads in my little blue ammo box

I've hunted sheep and mtn goat numerous times in Colorado/Alaska and have always dreamed of tahr hunting. I'm curious if it is ok for a US citizen to apply, draw tags, and hunt tahr in the areas you mentioned without hiring a guide? Possibly just pay for a transporter to drop off via helicopter? Thanks for any info regarding these hunts. You are welcome to pm me. Congrats on your hunt and great looking tahr!

Yes Jims anyone can hunt tahr in New Zealand. No tags, no license, no limits, no seasons, no guide required. Some limitations on where the chopper can land, but plenty of options. There is a ballot that allows helicopter drop offs only for a 2 month period each may - June to a wilderness area. Anyone can apply.

Here is some basic info http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...hunting/what-to-hunt/tahr/where-to-hunt-tahr/

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about the fees being implemented. In fact I havent heard that the game council has implemented anything if significance.

Is there other public land available for hunting other than the wilderness that would they hold huntable numbers of tahr?

yes the south island has a lot of DOC [ public ] lands to hunt on. i have hunted in a cpl areas and also taken tahr and chamois in those areas

Back