NRA On The Hot Seat - Exposed or Attacked?

The best possible thing any gun owner can do, if they haven’t done so already, is burn their NRA membership and support an organization that actually supports the 2A without compromise. GOA, FPC, NAGR, SSF, are all more than capable. And contrary to what some have said, have made BIG impacts legislatively and judicially at both the federal and state levels to defend the 2A. At the very least, anyone serious about freedom should be supporting GOA and FPC.

So, now the question is when will the rest of the board hand in their resignations and how/when will a better person be in place? Getting rid of Wayne is just the beginning of a house cleaning and culture change that is, in no way, assured.
I understand there's 76 board members. That's ridiculous. Twelve might be too many.

I understand there's 76 board members. That's ridiculous. Twelve might be too many.
I'm curious where did you come up with "76 board members"?
As best I can figure, board members are mostly term based (twenty six) aside from three not elected.

Edit:
I believe I found your source (2018) though not sure how WSJ identified 76 members. Maybe there's a base "x" amount more than those shown w/in AR board results. Never looked into it before.
I do not have a WSJ subscription so unable to read the article though I snipped this:

Screenshot_20240106-120712.png

Second edit: located the list. However this account for members beyond "board members" to include radio hosts, former board members, Lobbyists, etc...

Last edited:
Until the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors is replaced, it will be business as usual. Most of the Directors are just put there for some ceremonial or PR reason. The Executive Committee runs the operation and decides if Wayne stays or leaves, and in this case, who will replace him. I fully expect the EC to stay in place and get themselves a slightly less caustic version of Wayne.

Officially, Wayne resigned for "health reasons". He wasn't kicked out in any way. The accusations of financial impropriety are years old. His trial starts soon, but the board had plenty of time to do the right thing and didn't. Probably because they are in on grift. I highly doubt the NRA is going to get less extreme. It is not going back to a more middle-ground or sensible views of gun regulations it had in 80's and early 90's. The majority membership is fully on board with fighting any type of regulations. It will be business as usual for both sides.

Until the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors is replaced, it will be business as usual. Most of the Directors are just put there for some ceremonial or PR reason. The Executive Committee runs the operation and decides if Wayne stays or leaves, and in this case, who will replace him. I fully expect the EC to stay in place and get themselves a slightly less caustic version of Wayne.
When it comes to the Executive Committee (2018 is the most recent I could find logged in to the NRA site - see attached) How would they be replaced? Who is capable to make such decisions? We have a few NRA threads here and its good to learn more of the actual leadership versus "ceremonial/PR"... How would this change - is it possible in general for organizations to right a listing ship?

Attachments

• 2018-nra-executiveprofiles.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
When it comes to the Executive Committee (2018 is the most recent I could find logged in to the NRA site - see attached) How would they be replaced? Who is capable to make such decisions? We have a few NRA threads here and its good to learn more of the actual leadership versus "ceremonial/PR"... How would this change - is it possible in general for organizations to right a listing ship?
Good question that a lot of people ask. I don't have the answer. There is the Governance Committee, but evidently that Committee doesn't see any need for change to, or the power and composition of, the Executive Committee.

Sorry I don't have answer. Normally, Governance Committees implement rules on term limits, rotations to other committees, and a lot of other prudent governance guidelines that would keep an organization from become a lifetime appointment. 🤷‍♂️

I'm an NRA Lifer. Lifer means very little any more with these orgs other than a magazine for life.

The one time I tried to claim a member benefit, I was told that the offering was sunset in 2018. I would say that's about as good as Vortex warranty.

My little rebellion is that every time they call to ask for money I tell them I won't give a dime until the leadership is changed. It is a feel good move for me and a drop in the ocean.
If we all did it, it might start to be heard.

Last edited:
I bailed on them years ago. When someone called to ask why and to record my answer I said I was tired of being called constantly asking me for more money. Told him if the big shots would live on less money they would have more to spend on what they wanted me to help pay for. Phone went click.

I'm an NRA Lifer. Lifer means very little any more with these orgs other than a magazine for life.

The one time I tried to claim a member benefit, I was told that the offering was sunset in 2018. I would say that's about as good as Vortex warranty.

My little rebellion is that every time they call to ask for money I tell them I won't give a dime until the leadership is changed. It is a feel good move for me and a drop in the ocean.
If we all did it, it might start to be heard.
Doubtful. NRA is now a trade association for shooting industry manufacturers, many of whom are based in other countries. To them, 2A is a marketing strategy. Individual members cannot compete w the $influence$ of NRA's 'corporate partners.'

I have a story. The names have been changed for professional reasons. I know a group of law enforcement officers who wanted to do an operation called Chicken Plucking. The premise of the targeted law enforcement operation was to get convicted pedophiles off the street.

The idea was to look through game and fish hunting license data bases for convicted pedophiles. Law enforcement would conduct a ruse cold call to the pedophiles and ask how their hunting season went and ask if they were successful. Asking which season the hunted…archery, rifle or muzzleloader. The proposed idea was to knock-and-talk the pedophiles with the intent of getting a felon with firearm investigation/conviction. Law enforcement thought, who in there right minds would defend pedophiles. It would be a wind win for kids/society.

A certain organization that has three letters that start with N and ends with A fought the idea. They were determined to “protect the rights” but law enforcement could never figure out whose rights. The pedophiles/convicted felons.

True story and made me realize my values do t align with that group. That was over 15 years ago.

I used to be a member years ago. Would receive tons of junk mail from them and phone calls trying to get me to rejoin. I received a phone call one night after a 6 pack of beer soon after the scandal broke. Poor women on the phone got an earful. I told her i would not consider giving them another dime until they clean house. Havent recieved a call or mailer since.

I dropped them years ago as well, got real tired of the constant request for more donations. The last time they called I asked the gal what exactly I was getting to re-up my membership, all she could do was recite the list on the flyer-a personalized note pad, subscription to the magazine, free crappy duffel bag or whatever it was, etc...buh-bye!

I have a feeling that the NRA civil trial is going to reveal some more juicy details related to the “coincidental” timing of Wayne’s resignation.
Nailed it. Starts with a trickle…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back