NR - AK unguided sheep/goat/bear

Bambistew

If we were to some how manage to raffle a tag that didn't require a guide for sheep/goat/brownie, would you buy a ticket? If so what would you be willing to spend?

Doubtful we could pry the premium tags out of the auctions, so it would be a lesser tag or even for an OTC area, but no guide required.

I'm thinking these might sell pretty well?

No doubt about it, I would be in.

For sure for goat, probably for sheep. I'm a little scared of the big brown bears in the willows but maybe if it is for an area with some tundra I might man up enough to try it! ;)

Absolutely! I could care less about a premium area. I just want to hunt those animals and would prefer to do it on my own without a guide.

Kind of depends on the raffle ticket cost but if they where something like $10 ea. I'd throw a couple hundred at them just like I do a couple other states. Might even go more just because of the higher populations up there and only way to get a grizz if a guide wasn't required for the raffle winner.

I might try for one just because I never win...say $50-$100.

I'm just spit balling, but think a reasonable fee of maybe $20. Also think it would have to be for a draw area so that it would also entice residents to apply.

I just think we're missing out by only using the auction method, and are disenfranchising residents. I think the S/G/B raffle would be a hit, and I think it could easily be argued that NR are just as prepared if not more so than the average resident. The stats for resident sheep hunters... 67-70% who hunt each fall are on their very first sheep hunt. I would venture a guess that about 90% of kodiak hunters are on their first brown bear hunt, i don't have stats to back that up... goat is probably similar. These rookie hunters survive. I guess if we lose a NR or two we can always dump the tags.

I'll be crafting a few letters to send to my congressional delegates. I think changing the statute would be pretty easy, just add a line to exclude the guide requirement. A simple plan to make a lot of money with little outlay should be an easy sell. It could be managed by the F&G so no middle man taking a cut...

I think it's a great idea.

You do know that the AK guides and outfitters are going to fight this tooth and nail don't you? They won't want to give an inch on this issue because they know the current cushy niche that they have carved out for themselves is based on the flawed premise that NR's need guides to be safe.

I have been close enough to harvest a brown/grizzly bear on every Alaskan hunt I have done and most fishing trips. I have been close enough to sheep on 2 occasions out of 5 without trying. I don't want to pay someone else to do for me what I can do for myself.
I would definitely put in for sheep and brownies. At $20 apiece I would probably spend about $100 per year on a lottery.
I wish you luck but fear I won't see this in my lifetime.

I would think about it for sure, but like others have said, doubt that it would happen with outfitters crying. BUT, if I would have Ivan "helping" me I could maybe see a flatlander sheep hunt somewhere down the road! They sure do make a nice mount.

I don't know how to price it but I'd be interested for sure. I would think 100 or less would get the most people to say what the heck and take a chance. Over that and it kinda limits it to people that are pretty serious. But maybe thats not such a bad thing. That may keep some future statistic from Kodiak.

I would definitely be interested in a raffle without the guiding requirement. How long ago did AK start requiring a guide for S/G/B?

How would you get around the guide requirements to do something like this? If it works, you might try the same thing raffling a nonres tag in Wyo wilderness (without guide) for sheep, deer, and elk. Guided sheep hunts in Wyo wilderness are going for $9,000 to $11,000+. In other states without the guide in wilderness law guided sheep hunts run around $5,000!

Hate the guided only law so I'd be buying chances.Right now, my hope is that my son joins the coast guard in 2 years and gets stationed in Kodiak.That should allow me to hunt with him unguided.My guess is your in for a big fight from the outfitters over this, but I hope you succeed

The guide requirement has been on the books since before statehood as a means to generate revenue for a fledgling state with no economy. I've never seen anything on record aboit safety. It was sold on cash flow...

I really don't think it will be that hard of a sale considering the marginal sale price of the current tags. Also I don't think the outfitters could sceam too loud when the rule that benifits them is actually reducing revenue generation that would come directly to the state who is facing a serious budget shortfall. Nor do I think a politician would have the balls to protect a few individuals in favor of turning down potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars. In AK our Pitman/Robertson match is about 3:1.

I had a long reply typed with historic auction sales vs draw apps and lost it. Esentially, the price that auction tags are selling for verses say $10-30 per chance at raffle (times the current draw apps) would more than double the current auction price being fetched for these animals. That was just the draw apps asuing res and guided nr... you could easily double the number of residents if we could apply for another tag.

I'm not sure that even under the current guidelines they couldn't make more money going to a rafle... but then those "conservation" orgs wouldn't have an easy meal ticket. I'll leave it there. I would prefer that this stay on the state level and not be channeled through some organization.

A simple addition to the current drawing would work. Make it a super tag raffle.

In essence, I believe that there is a strong chance of this becoming reality. We already have the tags available for raffle, a method of sales is in place, all we need to tweak the statute for guiding. I honestly think I can get some support from the guiding industry for this as well.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back