Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

NR - AK unguided sheep/goat/bear

Good luck with your effort, Ivan. IF it would ever come about it would save some lucky winner a ton of cash to go on one of those hunts. Pretty much out of reach for most of us. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my way up and be a resident before I'm too old for it to matter!

The guide requirement could simply be excluded as a requirement in the current statute for auction and raffle tags. I think it may be that simple... really. the thing about a small population, is I run into quite a few politicians on a regular basis. Not hard to get a sit down with them either.

The more I think about all the support that the orgs gave for expanding the tags the more I think they would have to support it... otherwise i dont think it would look to good on their part.

I'm going to chase this for sure, but want to have all arguments in place prior to wading in too deep.

TBone, you just gave me an idea to sweeten the pot for NR $$$. If selected for one of these tags that excludes the guide requirement, you can also purchase other species if they are availabe OTC or registration. This wouldn't limit anyone's ability to get a tag, and would ad a few bucks more to the state coffer.

Last edited:
Bambistew,

If you need letters, phone calls, etc. if this starts getting traction...happy to help.

From a logistics standpoint should a NR get such a tag, I was under the impression that if a hunt required a super cub ride that the outfitters are their big customers compared to the DIY hunter so the pilots will often not be able to fly you on your preferred days and/or refuse to drop you where might interfere with an outfitter's hunters.

Would I need to hire an outfitter anyway to actually hunt this sort of tag successfully?

I have hunted AK once as NR and we needed a plane ride to get to the unit.

I'd be all over this if you could "get'r done!" I personally would love the opportunity to head to Kodiak with a brown bear tag in my pocket, rifle in hand and my best friend accompanying me without dropping $20K-$25K.

I'd buy some tickets! I couldn't pass up the chance at an affordable Dall sheep hunt.

Last edited:
From a logistics standpoint should a NR get such a tag, I was under the impression that if a hunt required a super cub ride that the outfitters are their big customers compared to the DIY hunter so the pilots will often not be able to fly you on your preferred days and/or refuse to drop you where might interfere with an outfitter's hunters.

Would I need to hire an outfitter anyway to actually hunt this sort of tag successfully?

I have hunted AK once as NR and we needed a plane ride to get to the unit.

There is a few places that are very difficult to get a plane ride into, due to limited air taxis and agreemwnts with the local outfitter, but all in all, it wouldn't be hard logistically.

You don't "need" a guide for anything unless you want one, and that would be completely up to the winner. If it's a difficult to draw tag, some people may want all the help the can get. In that case it's a win win win for the state, hunter and outfitter.

Sounds like you have some work cut out for you! It will be interesting to see how this works out. Still thinking about a sheep tag, mainly because I don't really have room for a bear hide! Like I would ever win...

I think it's a great idea. Not sure the woman in charge of my tag budget would think it's a great idea, but I would be on that like fire on a hay bale.

I agree that AK is missing out on a ton of revenue on this issue.

I'd spend a few 100 on those tickets.

If you can get this thru, I will be MOST impressed!

Good luck!

To me even the existing auction tags would be worth more if you could get it added that there isn't a guide requirement for auction or raffle tag holders.

Some of those auction tags are not going for much more than the cost of the tag if you bought it from the state.

Bambistew, you might try posting on http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/2-Alaska-Hunting

The Alaska hunting website has quite a following and may key you in on some of the hurdles you may need to cross or are not aware of? They may also know some names of contacts that may help. I am obviously in favor of on-your-own type hunting but it may be a lot tougher than you may think. I can pretty much guarantee you'll be fighting Alaska outfitters (which are mostly Alaska residents) over this...so be prepared!

There aren't many limited sheep tags issued (both res and nonres) especially with sheep numbers on the decline throughout Alaska. You may be battling it out trying to figure out exactly where the tag will come from. Many of limited units only have a handful of sheep tags available. There are a few units that are currently OTC for sheep so those may be easier for hunters to swallow than trying to take a tag from limited units where draw odds are pretty close to 1 to 2%.

LopeHunter, I hunted dall sheep this year unguided in Alaska (lucky enough to have a brother in law that lives up there) and had no problem finding a great pilot. It's just a matter of being on the ball and figuring out who flies where. I did a gob of research and had a successful sheep hunt.

I think it's a great idea. Not sure the woman in charge of my tag budget would think it's a great idea...

What kind of VP of Finance would hamstring the budget of the most critical component of such a uniquely differentiated product. :D

Reducing the DQ budget might be a better choice.

(puts on flame suit and ducks)
smiley-violent028.gif

Jims, thanks for the tips.

We already have 20 some odd tags set aside for auction and raffle. We dont need any more pulled. To date, no tag has been raffled, that I'm aware of. I believe the auction process and general lack of actual trophies that can be "bought" limits the funds raised at auction.

I wold bet the Tok and Delta sheep tags go for a little more than a guided hunt. While there are many nice sheep in those units, they are really no better than an OTC unit. Chugach tag will fetch around 150k if I had to guess. Not hard to sell a tag when the certainty of a giant exists and is documented in pictures... the rest of the tags go for little more than a guided hunt.

I don't think it will be easy, but I also don't think it will be impossible either.

I'm fairly well plugged in on all fronts here and know I could call on a few outfitters who would be all for this.

Our legislators are looking for any and all solutions to reduce the deficit. I don't think they would leave that kind of money on the table. I think with the history of these tag sales being so cheap, and the fact that it was a super easy sell to increase the auction/raffle tags a couple years ago on the premissions that the tage were needed (and not sold)... it would be pretty foolish of them to protect 3 guided hunts which woild raise much less than half the possible revenue for the state.

FYI the sheep working group is meeting this coming weekwnd. One thing I know for sure that we will discusses is next of kin hunting. While most DIY residents don't care, the guides whine a lot about it. I don't think anyone is really going to stand up for NOK if it comes down to it. I will advocate for the current split (25/75) if NR are put on a draw.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a little confused? What kind of sheep tag or tags would you be lobbying for? Are you considering unguided tag or tags for limited, OTC, or both?

I can understand why Alaska outfitters would be set against both NOK and nonguided tags I can also see where it would be an advantage to Alaska residents to stand up for NOK. Right now it is possible for Alaska res to hunt guided species with nonres family. If an Alaska res moves away from Alaska and still has relatives that live in Alaska it would be like shooting themselves in the foot if they are against NOK...they would only be able to return and hunt guide species once they loose their residency with a guide!

Back