Nosler bullets

Muleyfanatic

Bought a Kimber Montana in 280ai to use as a light weight deer, black bear and possibly elk round. I had planned on using the nosler 140 grain accubonds out of it but since they are basically non existant I am considering the ballistic tip hunting bullets. I am looking for some feed back on this bullet. This rifle will be used at ranges of 400 yards and under.

My 7mag & 7-08 took a shine to the 140 TTSX. I'd prefer a sturdier bullet than BT's on elk. Let me know how your AI performs...interesting caliber.

I'm a big fan of Nosler bullets for my reloading. With that said I never cared for the ballistic tips.

Practice with the BT's then use AB's for hunting. They will hit the same at 400 if you reload. I know of very few that are fans of BT's for a game round.

Last edited:
Do some digging around. The Ballistic Tip underwent a jacket change, and isn't nearly as frangible as it used to be. They usually shoot like crazy too. mtmuley

I tried BT's years ago, didn't care for them.. I am a nosler partition fan. Shot 150's out of my 7mm, now I load 200 for my Kimber 325. Does a great job on elk. Happy Shooting.

Are the 160 accubonds available? That caliber has plenty of power to push the heavier bullet.

If Elk is a possibility why not go with the 140 partition? I used the 130 ballistic tip in my 270 on Antelope and it worked well but I think it would be the wrong bullet for an Elk.
Dan

150 BT, look no farther.

Accurate as heck in every rig I've run them in, tough bullet, too. That bullet will kill any elk walking with no problem.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that people still think BT's are the same across the board, and have never changed over the decades..

The 7mm 120's and 150's are renown for their toughness, and for everyone I've known who's run them, and myself, great accuracy.

Interesting to see that people still think BT's are the same across the board, and have never changed over the decades..

The 7mm 120's and 150's are renown for their toughness, and for everyone I've known who's run them, and myself, great accuracy.

I agree that the newer BT might, I say might, dispel yesteryear's frangible stigma, but sturdier bullets don't have to.

My cousin shoots the 165 accubonds out of his custom 280AI and shoots cloverleafs, great round for elk. That's what I would shoot if I thought I might hunt elk.

I haven't had good luck with the ballistic tip hunting bullets. Very accurate at paper, but poor performance on game. Very little weight retention when recovered in an animal. Been having great luck with bares triple shocks.

Back