Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Northern Idaho Whitetail

coopaloop

I'm headed up to the Northern part of the state, around Orofino, to chase Whitetails in a couple weeks and was wondering if any body had some advice. I just found out that this year we have to have a permit to be on Potlach land. A walk in permit costs $10. I'm pissed to say the least, but I took it and bought one.

Anybody have ideas on places to go. Not asking for your personal honey-holes or secret spots, just a little help. Thanks a bunch.

- Coop

That's actualy the area I was going to key in on but I have run into a lot of private property in the past and unwilling landowners. Thanks for the info.

Lots of private stuff in the Orofino area, I really wouldn't even bother trying to gain permission its hard for even the locals. Any of the lower Potlatch country would be a decent bet.

Weird, I've never been turned down for permission in that country, but again I've only asked 3 different folks. Maybe it's the Utard plates... :D 'Course there's also plenty of country open to anyone in that country, especially since you have your timber company pass.

PS- I've heard of folks doing pretty good using boats on the reservoir to get to areas. Sure would be a fun way to hunt.

Why would you be pissed to hunt private land like potlach....they could just lock the whole thing up and say the hell with ya, 10 bucks is pretty cheap.

Except for the fact that they got the land for a song in a bunch of backroom deals in the first place. I know it's nice to have access to the land at all.....I just hate change, especially when it costs me money.

I'm not a fan of them charging either, the good neighbor Potlatch is long gone. My only worry is what they are going to do next year. They are still talking leases, some sounds like just leasing camp sites, other talk centers around leasing hunting rights as they have done in other states. With the amount of land they have hunting leases would be a disaster in my opinion. Hopefully they realize this, buts its all about the $$$ with them now.

I completely agree. I always thought very highly of them and how they allowed access but the future seems grim. I have hunted their land all over that part of the state for several years and I fear the lease situation as well. It could be the end of guys like me hunting in that area. It's sad to see where our sport is heading. I hope they put the skids on it at some point. I don't mind paying $10 if that's as far as it ever goes.

Ummm... don't forget that you have to buy a permit for your truck and RV and Quad and another person if they are and adult. Yeah, It kinda sucks, but the Potlatch land hunting areas offer a lot of great white tail opportunities.

Best of luck to you and yours. I did fairly well filling the freezer if you check out the Elk section. I've found that most folks in the Potlatch town area are just awesome down home country folk and won't mind allowing you to hunt their land. It really helps to be polite and maybe offer a dollar of two for thier inconvenience.

Just curious, we are headed up that way as well, does Potlach own a significant ammount of land around Deary, and or Bovill? That may seem like an ignorant question but I have just spent the better part of an hour on their website and cant seem to find detailed land ownership maps. Thanks.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back