Whitetails SE IDAHO

Fishak907

Hello! I'm trying to get my wife her first big game animal. She is now a resident of idaho and we decided to get her the whitetail tag just because the season is a little longer. I need some tips and maybe even some areas that I can try and get her one for SE idaho. I have been using Onx alot and scouting every chance I get.

Alot of the deer are in private and I haven't had any luck at getting in with a farmer.

We have been hunting unit 60 alot, and I plan to move over to 63a when bucks open up.

Hello! I'm trying to get my wife her first big game animal. She is now a resident of idaho and we decided to get her the whitetail tag just because the season is a little longer. I need some tips and maybe even some areas that I can try and get her one for SE idaho. I have been using Onx alot and scouting every chance I get.

Alot of the deer are in private and I haven't had any luck at getting in with a farmer.

We have been hunting unit 60 alot, and I plan to move over to 63a when bucks open up.
All are walk-in hunting areas that get heavy public pressure. Many roads branch off Highways 26, 20, 33 and 48. Travel is easy, and most roads are paved with the exception of primitive roads on BLM land, where you need ATVs or four-wheel-drive vehicles.
Flat, heavily wooded river bottoms, sloughs and canals run through private agricultural land. The northwestern corner is sagebrush-covered high desert.
We've done well with our elite skills in this unit by slowly driving the 3600 Rd and glassing with premium European optics then scaling the highest peak near the 3700 Rd. With our setup we can practically count the fish in the river. If you're packing normal glass just get to the highest point with your long range setup, use your camo and do a little rattling. Bucks will come off the river bottom to investigate the commotion which will be your chance to let your long range setup eat. Cover scents and sprays are also popular if your significant other can handle the scent of rutting bucks. Tink's #69 is popular with the Rexburg locals.

I've known a certified master hunter that on a calm day will use his calls to bring lovestruck bucks across the river, but only on cool, calm days. The rut is the achille's heel of the whitetail buck so use it to your advantage. Be prepared for hot rutting action toward the end of the season with some real bruiser bucks. The public land is usually lightly hunted after the opening weekend so if you're #committed you'll have some prime country to yourself if you're willing to work for it. Consider doing a deer drive on windy days to get the old warriors out of the thicker stuff as the season goes on.

All are walk-in hunting areas that get heavy public pressure. Many roads branch off Highways 26, 20, 33 and 48. Travel is easy, and most roads are paved with the exception of primitive roads on BLM land, where you need ATVs or four-wheel-drive vehicles.
Flat, heavily wooded river bottoms, sloughs and canals run through private agricultural land. The northwestern corner is sagebrush-covered high desert.
We've done well with our elite skills in this unit by slowly driving the 3600 Rd and glassing with premium European optics then scaling the highest peak near the 3700 Rd. With our setup we can practically count the fish in the river. If you're packing normal glass just get to the highest point with your long range setup, use your camo and do a little rattling. Bucks will come off the river bottom to investigate the commotion which will be your chance to let your long range setup eat. Cover scents and sprays are also popular if your significant other can handle the scent of rutting bucks. Tink's #69 is popular with the Rexburg locals.

I've known a certified master hunter that on a calm day will use his calls to bring lovestruck bucks across the river, but only on cool, calm days. The rut is the achille's heel of the whitetail buck so use it to your advantage. Be prepared for hot rutting action toward the end of the season with some real bruiser bucks. The public land is usually lightly hunted after the opening weekend so if you're #committed you'll have some prime country to yourself if you're willing to work for it. Consider doing a deer drive on windy days to get the old warriors out of the thicker stuff as the season goes on.
Top rut and gohunt should hire you to do the unit overviews.

If someone can’t harvest an animal with that intel then they should just hang it up

I'm gunna need you to do unit overviews for me for the rest of my life. 😂😂 best one I've seen ever!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back