Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Help

bb3134

I know most posts start with ‘not looking for honey holes’ because they are afraid of getting cussed out, but I have no other options. So yes, I am actually here asking for a honey hole. Before you yell at me, please read why. I’m going on a Colorado OTC DIY with my father this fall for the 2nd rifle season, and it will most likely be our last. We’ve been to many different states and have bagged many different animals, but he is about to turn 76 years old, and I’ll honestly be surprised if he’s able to hunt the entire season. We are in Wisconsin and don’t have the time to scout for weeks, or the money to lease out a high dollar ranch/hire an outfitter. Honestly though, he’s old school and prefers doing it ourselves anyways, even if he knows it’s a lower percentage chance of getting something. I’m just asking for a few tips on where we might be able to go that isn’t too crazy of terrain for him but still at least has some decent possibility of seeing some bulls. He can still walk the woods just fine, but he’s not climbing any huge mountains. If anybody has some land for lease that’s not more than a couple thousand bucks for a season then we could probably swing that, but I’m guess public will be our only option. We do have a hunting cabin and a few hundred acres of land in northern Wisconsin if maybe anybody is interested in doing a hunting swap and wants to let us use your land for elk and you can come hunt/fish ours for whitetail, black bear, turkey, trout etc. Just seeing what’s out there to maybe give my dad a shot at bagging himself one last bull to end his elk hunting career. Thank you and I appreciate any advice you’re willing to share.

Welcome and I hope you both actually have a great hunt this fall. I have hunted archery there several times but never rifle. I would just buy and OTC tag and go on a road trip exploring the state. Look at the travel corridors on the CPW hunt map and then it's all up to the weather and the pressure.

Not a felony.
Not a misdemeanor.
Not even an administrative fine.

Unlicensed guiding is an issue. But this ain’t that.
You are correct. I read the post wrong. Thought he was advocating for a public land hunt for private. My bad

Sending you a text.
Was going to send you a message but I have just become a member of Hunt Talk and this is my first post. Guess I have to have 10 post before I can send a pm. Maybe I can send one soon.

i'm from Southcentral Wisconsin, and moved to Southcentral Colorado when I retired 13 years ago. I'm 72+, but have the health and get up and go to put most guys half my age in the rear view mirror, even if I do say so myself.
My horse ranch is surrounded on 3 sides by National Forest in GMU 80. I know the area very well. I would be willing to assist you, but would NOT be able to commit until another Midwest friend makes up his mind if he's coming out here to hunt 2nd season rifle. I owe him first opportunity to assist his hunt as buddies. But keep me in mind and check back if you don't come up with a plan. BTW, I don't carry Elk out on my back, I pack it out with my horses & mules. I guess I just enjoy helping others and paying my blessings forward.

Remember coming up on a yurt that would have been just across the field up on the ridge inside the woods on the West side of 17 that I guessed was owned by CPW. A ranch isn’t too far further East on hwy 17 from where it was.

Use to hunt Around Norwood CO for elk and deer on public land we could shoot elk and mule deer from the tent no horses needed

Back