North Idaho Snackables

Wallydeuce

Review:
They emailed me Friday saying my order was on the way. Imagine my surprise when it was in my mailbox Saturday.

Full disclaimer, I'm not a big fan of food and I especially don't like really spicy foods. The last thing I want is to have to taste the food hours after I've eaten it so with that expectation, I made the enchilada dinner last night. I am pleased to report there isn't any lingering effects.

Positives:
It was better than any other dehydrated food I've had.
It's a single serving size and for me, it was all I needed.
As with all dehydrated meals, I add about 30% more water than the instructions call for and add 50% more on time. Worked great.

Negatives:
The instructions call for adding boiling water and "squishing " the contents together. I won't do that again. Way too hot!
Its a single serving meal in a two serving bag. I had to cut the bag in half to reach the food with my spork.
Limited selection (which is understandable)

Burnt hands and having to cut the bag aside, I am going to buy more, which coming from me, is a great review.

Duck-Slayer

@Wallydeuce I’m glad you enjoyed the meal! I actually like that it’s an oversized bag, I use my knife and cut it to size I want when it’s done. I do agree the bag does get warm, but I normally have gloves on after dark in September and camping at 10k, also when I was walleye fishing when the high is 45 degrees and at night it was in the upper 20’s I did not mind the warm packaging 😜
Matt

Wallydeuce

@Wallydeuce I’m glad you enjoyed the meal! I actually like that it’s an oversized bag, I use my knife and cut it to size I want when it’s done. I do agree the bag does get warm, but I normally have gloves on after dark in September and camping at 10k, also when I was walleye fishing when the high is 45 degrees and at night it was in the upper 20’s I did not mind the warm packaging 😜
Matt
Boiling water. Heat conductive bag = hot! I'm solving that problem with squishing the bag before I add the water. Boiling water, stirring and sealing the bag is what's appealing to me. Using gloves and carrying scissors isn't convenient.

I usually don't get back to camp until at least an hour after dark, usually longer and I am wiped out. I have to force myself to eat before I prep for the next day. Having something that tastes good will make it easier though.

Between MH, Peak, Gastro Gnome (way too spicy for me), Heather's Choice, I have more than enough food for this year's hunt but I'm still buying more Snackables. Tomorrow night I will try the fajitas scramble. Dunno, eggs and chicken? We'll see. Hopefully their business grows enough to offer a larger selection.

This sounds bitchie but it's really not. It was good and I don't feel like I've got a bowling ball in my gut, or I'm gonna blow an O ring. That's like a high rating coming from me!

Review:
They emailed me Friday saying my order was on the way. Imagine my surprise when it was in my mailbox Saturday.

Full disclaimer, I'm not a big fan of food and I especially don't like really spicy foods. The last thing I want is to have to taste the food hours after I've eaten it so with that expectation, I made the enchilada dinner last night. I am pleased to report there isn't any lingering effects.

Positives:
As with all dehydrated meals, I add about 30% more water than the instructions call for and add 50% more on time. Worked great.

Negatives:
The instructions call for adding boiling water and "squishing " the contents together. I won't do that again. Way too hot!
Its a single serving meal in a two serving bag. I had to cut the bag in half to reach the food with my spork.

Burnt hands and having to cut the bag aside, I am going to buy more, which coming from me, is a

Review:

Positives:

Negatives:

Burnt hands and having to cut the bag aside, I am going to buy more, which coming from me, is a great review.
I am sorry about your hand! Ill be sure to note that for future labels.

Aside from that, I am glad everything made it safely and it was to your satisfaction!

TheNorthStar

My order arrived yesterday some time while my family and I were up at my parent's cabin slayin' some panfish. We got back home this afternoon, popped the box open and it included a hand written thank you card and an extra yogurt snack in the box! What service! My wife commented on how good the fruit looked, and I expect if I want to take any back to Idaho this season, I'll need to order a few more pouches. ;) I'm going to try the enchiladas soon! Cheers, @North Idaho Snackables !

Scott85

Mine got delivered today along with a nice hand written card and an extra gift. I can’t wait to try it on an upcoming hiking trip, so I can order more.

Scott85

Tried the huckleberry banana bread tonight. I wrapped it in wet paper towels for over 30 minutes and it was still hard. Taste was amazing but I would find it too hard to use on a hunt or camping.

Duck-Slayer

Tried the huckleberry banana bread tonight. I wrapped it in wet paper towels for over 30 minutes and it was still hard. Taste was amazing but I would find it too hard to use on a hunt or camping.
I actually crush it up just a little with a smidge of water, soft and crunchy at the same time. It’s yummy 🤤
Matt

Blue Rope

Negatives:

That's common to pretty much all the freeze dried, rehydrate in the bag food that I've had. Got to get you one of these, https://www.backcountrygear.com/alpha-light-long-spoon/

Wallydeuce

Blue Rope

No they don't. They tell you to add boiling water, stir and reseal for X minutes. That's what I ended up doing with the rest of the North Idaho meals. Worked out well.
Buy a longer spork? No.
I was talking about the depth of the bag. Most freeze dried food that I've had comes in a bag that is too deep for a "conventional" length utensil to reach without making a mess.

GrantK

the extra long titanium spork is maybe an essential utensil to own if you are going to be eating freeze-dried meals of any kind...just make friends with the fact that it is going to become your favorite piece of silverware...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowhuntn50