Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve followed this thread, but haven’t said much. I don’t know anything about the last time a petition was signed, but I can tell you that I will be one of the first in line to sign this time around. The outfitters better enjoy this win while they can, because the chickens are coming home to roost and there’s no one to blame but themselves.

Everyone on both sides of this conversation seems to be presenting OSL as the way it always was.
It wasn’t. The outfitters operated for decades without set aside tags. When legislation was passed creating guarantee OSL’s, the referendum that was I-161 was Montana residents response that we do not support OSL.
MOGA and outfitters are trying to muddy the water and playing the victim card.
Before OSL was implemented, a Nonresident booked with an Outfitter to experience the backcountry of our great state. The state's wildlife management was geared to the wildlife of our vast public lands. The ranchers and farmers viewed wildlife as competition eating their grass/crops and wrecking fences. Two buck tags, a pocket full of doe tags and possibly up to five antelope tags and these landowners opened up their gates with a grin......my, times have changed!

The wildlife management follows the dollars and the dollars dictate how/when that management will occur.

2021 "Dumpster Fire" as EVERY Outfitter will be OVER booked and our public wildlife will suffer. Expect RFW to appear within the next decade!

Actually, where outfitters manage, game thrives. Let’s face it, if it’s wide open to the public it’s over hunted.
And another 3000 NR hunters is going to make that better?

If outfitters are so concerned about proper management, taking another 3k clients isn't going to improve quality. I don't think quality is their concern, I think its all about the $$$. Right now, with hunter demand through the roof, they're seeing dollar signs, not proper management. Pretty obvious.

The reason public is over-hunted (in some places) is because of BS legislation just like this outfitter welfare bill.

Actually, where outfitters manage, game thrives. Let’s face it, if it’s wide open to the public it’s over hunted.
Well until that thriving game eats a stitch of hay that a starving cow needed. Then we better hunt elk with shoulder seasons, give out a pile of doe tags or look for other ways to compensate the landowner

True story!
More BS. I must have a record then, go ahead and Google Robert Wood from Hamilton, Montana. along with many other guys like me that belong to Hook and bullet groups around the state. I collected a lot of signatures very easily. I know that there was guys that got threatened continuously for their efforts. Lessons from the past are very hard for some to understand and act upon. You think we don't have the resolve to go after this or any other OSL tags again?

And another 3000 NR hunters is going to make that better?

If outfitters are so concerned about proper management, taking another 3k clients isn't going to improve quality. I don't think quality is their concern, I think its all about the $$$. Right now, with hunter demand through the roof, they're seeing dollar signs, not proper management. Pretty obvious.

The reason public is over-hunted (in some places) is because of BS legislation just like this outfitter welfare bill.
Outfitters take hunters to places that you and I cannot hunt, or in wilderness areas. The public places is where the pressure is. When you see the masses next fall on public ground, those aren’t outfitted clients. Those are DIY guys you all are trying to cater to instead of those licenses going to outfitted clients. Am I the only one who sees this? It’s gonna suck. Let the outfitters take the same amount of guys they have always took instead of flooding our public lands with NR DIY guys. There won’t be a fork horn buck left. Why does no one care about quality!

Outfitters take hunters to places that you and I cannot hunt, or in wilderness areas. The public places is where the pressure is. When you see the masses next fall on public ground, those aren’t outfitted clients. Those are DIY guys you all are trying to cater to instead of those licenses going to outfitted clients. Am I the only one who sees this? It’s gonna suck. Let the outfitters take the same amount of guys they have always took instead of flooding our public lands with NR DIY guys. There won’t be a fork horn buck left. Why does no one care about quality!
There are ten times the number of resident hunters vs non resident hunters. Yes, outfitters take some and hunt private land that is inaccessible to others, but they also hunt public and make up a small percentage of overall hunters. I see waaaaaay more 6 plates than I do NR plates..

I for one, am happy that Montana gives nonresidents "a chance" to hunt their state.
That chance has been greatly reduced by this bill unless I am willing to spend $$$$ to get head of line privilege. (Pay to play)

If ALL the outfitters had 350+ bulls or 200+ bucks to hunt, I could see the draw to spend that kind of money, but Montana maintains their wildlife for opportunity vice quality.

The lines have been well established: Sportsman groups vs FWP, Landowners and Outfitters.

I don't belong to any sportsman group, I am not a landowner, an employee of FWP or a guide, yet I hunt and fish for most everything in Montana. There will never be a treaty signed to the satisfaction of both sides, but I still think Montana provides great opportunities to all of these groups.

I don't believe in a campfire, holding hands and singing Kum-By-Ya, but there is still plenty for everyone. It is tiring to see this constant battle with so much vitriol toward the 3 groups that don't fit the model of Sportsman's groups.

The last line in the above quote seems to set the tone for the type of hunting that the sportsmen want to see in Montana and it is as selfish as the opposition is accused of.

I hunt public and private ground and find game every year. I enjoy hunting for a myriad of reasons, not only for trophies. I still like to get trophies and have been successful at that, but I still like hunting and shoot does and non-trophy bucks and elk.

The constant complaining of the deterioration of quality big game is only as relevant as the the guy that wants to hunt for those animals. Go to a taxidermist shop and you will still see great animals being killed every year, testifying of the good animals that still reside in Montana.

Montana, as poorly organized and ruined by FWP, outfitters and landowners as it is, is still a fantastic state that allows me to do what I want, when and where I want. I understand the attempt to improve circumstances around this precious resource, but the continued arguing has created a division that doesn't need to exist.

The others that feel this way remain silent because they don't want beat up by outspoken people against their personal views, I don't really care because I will continue to hunt and fish with or around all the people mentioned here, some friends and some that are not...

There are ten times the number of resident hunters vs non resident hunters. Yes, outfitters take some and hunt private land that is inaccessible to others, but they also hunt public and make up a small percentage of overall hunters. I see waaaaaay more 6 plates than I do NR plates..
This bill sucks for everyone but the outfitters guild.

I believe that the NR quota is a set "up to %" of the number of available tags; that hasn't changed for years.

Therefore, you can't see more NR plates; it's impossible unless the State increased the overall tag allotment. The hunter competition isn't from an increased number of DIY or Outfitted NR hunters (I know folks love to hate em), but it's really from increased resident participation in the hunt.

This bill sucks for everyone but the outfitters guild.

I believe that the NR quota is a set "up to %" of the number of available tags; that hasn't changed for years.

Therefore, you can't see more NR plates; it's impossible unless the State increased the overall tag allotment. The hunter competition isn't from an increased number of DIY or Outfitted NR hunters (I know folks love to hate em), but it's really from increased resident participation in the hunt.
That’s literally exactly what I said. The residents make up far more pressure than non residents..

Welcome to HT!

This is only true for the big game combos. Lot of elk and deer tags for Nonresidents aren't capped at a specific number.

Outfitters take hunters to places that you and I cannot hunt, or in wilderness areas. The public places is where the pressure is
You have no idea what you're talking about, basically the entire National Forest system is divided into areas allocated to outfitters who have exclusive outfitting rights in those areas, and nearly half of MT NRs are already hunting with outfitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back