Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people do have a line , and adding $300 for a early draw instead being trash and waiting until the peasant draw in April will be the final straw for many . The app numbers will be high this fall because of covid but after that they’ll fall each year
Not going to happen...$300 additional to the cost of tag is nothing. I've heard this same thing for 20 years..."you'll price out NR's", yet doesn't happen.

They'll sell out because demand outstrips supply.

Some people do have a line , and adding $300 for a early draw instead being trash and waiting until the peasant draw in April will be the final straw for many . The app numbers will be high this fall because of covid but after that they’ll fall each year
The $300 won’t matter because anything not sold in the early drawing gets dumped into the general draw in March at regular price - as I understand it anyways. I’m not sure what the market threshold would be before NR applicants drop significantly and I’m not sure I want to find out.

Unfortunately, the political wind is not likely to kill this bill.
Hope is not going to carry the day.
The line in the sand is between “heck no I won’t pay $300 more | and 60% of nr tags are allocated to outfitters.
The third option is not on the table. The first option may not even survive.
Tune in at 2 to hear senate finance discuss the $.

If you plan on testifying in Finance & Claims, remember to only speak to the money in the bill. These legislators are not concerned with the policy, just it's fiscal impact. Keep your testimony short, and do not repeat testimony. If you want to be on record, simply say your name, where you are from and that you support/oppose the bill.

Bar none......the most well thought out response on this ENTIRE thread! Well done sir.....and what you stated is a fact. Thank you!

I think if ranchers were to ask for support in terms of eliminating unfair practices in country of origin labeling, meatpacking, improving the ability of young people to get into Ag, creating more markets closer to home as well as helping set up processing infrastructure in state, the margins for ranchers would get better as their marketability increases. MT Beef is some of the best in the world. Most everyone is proud of that, but we don't let that pride get in the way of a bill that is bad policy, and presented in such an antagonistic & headstrong fashion.

The future of family ag is vitally important to wildlife, and to hunting. This bill just makes the division larger & pisses people off who can help create better markets for ranchers.

I think if ranchers were to ask for support in terms of eliminating unfair practices in country of origin labeling, meatpacking, improving the ability of young people to get into Ag, creating more markets closer to home as well as helping set up processing infrastructure in state, the margins for ranchers would get better as their marketability increases. MT Beef is some of the best in the world. Most everyone is proud of that, but we don't let that pride get in the way of a bill that is bad policy, and presented in such an antagonistic & headstrong fashion.

The future of family ag is vitally important to wildlife, and to hunting. This bill just makes the division larger & pisses people off who can help create better markets for ranchers.
Some of what you said is correct.....now please educate me as to who the “people” are that can help create better markets for us. Just curious.

Some of what you said is correct.....now please educate me as to who the “people” are that can help create better markets for us. Just curious.
Here's who supported repealing of the Country of origin labeling (HR 2393). Would you agree COOL returning would be a good thing? It seems like a good idea to me?

Not going to happen...$300 additional to the cost of tag is nothing. I've heard this same thing for 20 years..."you'll price out NR's", yet doesn't happen.

They'll sell out because demand outstrips supply.
I agree. There are not enough elk in MT to exhaust the market at these prices - I would guess they could easily sell out at twice the price. Heck could probably have tiered pricing based on desirability and sell out at 4x the price for the better tier units.

But what will be eventually priced out if we stay in this path is NR hunting for the "common man". And I don't think that it the right way to handle a public resource.

Bar none......the most well thought out response on this ENTIRE thread! Well done sir.....and what you stated is a fact. Thank you!
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try and address the problems with family ag/ranching to make this industry more sustainable (and profitable) vice government intervention in the ranchers' side hustle?

This would be akin to meddling in the rideshare industry (Uber, Lyft) as a means of tackling the broader problem of underemployment or wage stagnation.

Here's who supported repealing of the Country of origin labeling (HR 2393). Would you agree COOL returning would be a good thing? It seems like a good idea to me?

NAFTA required the outcome. The votes to the opposite were just for show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Su Sal
Back