Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's existing language in statute. Basically, if the Landowner Sponsored B11 is undersubscribed, Landowners may submit up to 15 names for the leftovers. Not something I agree with, but in light of what this thing started out as, leaving that in place would mean more votes to strip the bad provisions and add the less lethal ones.
If landowner sponsored deer combos are not all used what happens to them ? Only 800 some were given out last year .

Under the amended bill, 60% of the statutorily approved B10 & B11 licenses would be available for the General Draw. The Commission may increase the early draw to 50%, but it's set in statute as 40%.

I looked around and MT would still be a deal on the Deer/Elk Combo at $1400. WY charges close to $1200 for their early elk only license. Combining Deer & Elk in other states gets you darn close, if not slightly above, current pricing for the B10.

I do think the B11 is overpriced with the early bird special, and could see fixing that to come down to $150 or so.

The bill is a long way from being done, so keep posting thoughts on how it would work better, or continue to voice your opposition. The Legislature needs to continue to hear from folks.

The bill is in Senate Finance & Claims today, so if you plan on commenting, keep your comments to the money, not the policy or politics. F&C members only care about the money.
The loss of preference point fees in the original bill was a huge offset from Ellsworths claimed $200 net gain. I would need someone to run the actual numbers for me but somewhere between 3-4 preference points the original bill would have become a net loss since they were giving away 65% of the tags at 0 preference points (including the 25% that would have been pure lottery in the original bill). This amended bill solves that issue.

It don’t matter but I have a landowner that would sponsor me . Only reason I haven’t gone that route is I’m trying to draw a LE elk tag so I obviously have to apply for the elk combo or big game combo but if I could get a leftover landowner sponsor deer combo that would be ok I guess

The only way I’d support this version of the bill is if unsuccessful applicants of the “early” draw were NOT eligible to apply with the peasants in March. Pick one but you can’t apply in both. I suspect the early draw will be 100% for a year or two though. All of this assumes it passes.

The only way I’d support this version of the bill is if unsuccessful applicants of the “early” draw were NOT eligible to apply with the peasants in March. Pick one but you can’t apply in both. I suspect the early draw will be 100% for a year or two though. All of this assumes it passes.
I totally agree

Randy, any sense of Moga’s feelings?
This would be interesting to know. The amended version might work out in their favor sometimes but I doubt it would provide the annual stability they seek....but I've been wrong before.

I'm inclined to keep opposing all of this nonsense until 143 dies a painful death in the bottom of the MT capitol's underbelly.

This would be interesting to know. The amended version might work out in their favor sometimes but I doubt it would provide the annual stability they seek....but I've been wrong before.

I'm inclined to keep opposing all of this nonsense until 143 dies a painful death in the bottom of the MT capitol's underbelly.
It won’t provide any stability. I too hope it fails . If it passes , in time the interest from NR to hunt Montana will dwindle more and more . It’ll be like 2011-2017ish where they have to advertise to try sell surplus tags

Senate Bills start on the third floor. They don't get to the 1st floor until the first House hearing. To technically, it's in the sweaty manboob of the Capitol.
Correct me if I’m wrong but the sweaty manboob of The Capitol is actually at Applebee’s where $15 steaks and the cheapest whiskey in the state are all it takes to buy the MT GOP votes!

I bet not
Some people do have a line , and adding $300 for a early draw instead being trash and waiting until the peasant draw in April will be the final straw for many . The app numbers will be high this fall because of covid but after that they’ll fall each year

Some people do have a line , and adding $300 for a early draw instead being trash and waiting until the peasant draw in April will be the final straw for many . The app numbers will be high this fall because of covid but after that they’ll fall each year
The early draw for the B10 would still be cheaper than getting a NR WY Deer & Elk tag.

I don't think it would hurt the B10 subscription. It would be underutilized for the B11. Can't see many paying $1K for a Montana DIY deer hunt.

It won’t provide any stability. I too hope it fails . If it passes , in time the interest from NR to hunt Montana will dwindle more and more . It’ll be like 2011-2017ish where they have to advertise to try sell surplus tags

Doubt it.

Think about it.. Idaho where a couple years ago you could buy an elk tag for half the year at your leisure is now a tossup if NR can get anything but the less demanded OTC tags, much less get tags as a group.

WY will take 5 points, 6 years in the game to get a regular general tag before we know it.

Or you can join the circus in CO OTC or wait a few years for a low point LE tag that allows you to hunt for a week.

I don't think MT general tag demand is going down anytime soon if it remains fairly predictable to draw and lets people hunt sept-Nov as much as they'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dfair2798
Back