Caribou Gear Tarp

Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before.....I'll say it again....legislators should only be able to mess with land right issues/laws. Wildlife management should be the sole responsibility of the FWP who can introduce legislation through committee when/if necessary. I'm flabbergasted the way legislators are punting around the point system as if its a football to do their bidding. It's flat out stupid.
Some justification was "Covid". They said covid bumped applications up. Keep in mind they are mathematically challenged at baseline, so don't even bother arguing. Outfitter clients didn't get permits so they need to be helped. Which leads to the second argument, of course, "small business". They like to see the outfitters as small businesses, which allows them to justify almost anything.

As a non-resident I was not successful in the MT draw this year. Same goes for my regular elk huntping partner. This is the first time ever that at least one of us has failed to draw MT. This year appears to be a supply & demand issue based on what we heard from an FWP contact we spoke to this week, so the timing of this bill is likely being driven by economics as much as politics.

We really do enjoy the freedom and flexibility afforded to us as non- residents hunting in MT and the combo tags (and season dates) are great.

While I respect the right of the landowner to use his/her land as they see fit and within the laws of the state, the elk are not the Property of the landowner (same as with deer and other game here in IL and other states). I see this bill as just one more complication, in an already very complicated system, which will further incentivize landowner restrictions and access limitations that will make elk hunting more expensive and limited to everyone (resident and non-resident).

I won’t be spending my elk hunt dollars in MT this year, but I would like to return in the future. I hope MT residents are successful swaying your lawmakers to do the right thing.

Thank you for posting this and keeping me informed. The unfortunate reality is that the resource (supply) is limited and the demand (for game, land, mineral resources, energy etc., taxpayer dollars) are going to continue to rise. As hunters we need to do whatever we can to speak with one large voice (and with our money and whatever political influence we can muster) to protect the resource and access wherever we can.

Second board for the afternoon is coming. Keep sending comments in and keep the phone lines burning up. It is likely up later this afternoon.

Crap like this moves fast so that the pushback against it doesn't have a chance to take hold.

The amendments were added in a free conference committee and must be approved by the House & Senate. Hamm

Second board for the afternoon is coming. Keep sending comments in and keep the phone lines burning up. It is likely up later this afternoon.

Crap like this moves fast so that the pushback against it doesn't have a chance to take hold.
Debating it on the floor now

This shit makes me so mad. How do these elected officials justify this as doing the will of the people? If sneaking though bills that the public clearly voiced their opposition to is serving your constituents I’m at a loss for words. They should be ashamed

Both political parties are garbage. Vote R, anti-public lands, but pro-gun. Vote D, and anti-First Amendment (cancel culture), anti-Second Amendment, and for uncontrolled immigration when many Americans are out of work. And for tons of taxes. And CRT. We need a new group that represents average working-class Americans of all colors and genders.

I know this may not apply directly to Montana, but in a way it does. The average middle class Montanan (subsistence hunter, trying to get by, or middle class if you're lucky or well-educated in a trade or a profession), is not for this bill, but also against the things previously enumerated. Yet still it proceeds.

Don't have an answer; maybe populism without an egomaniac as a leader. Anyone the new incarnation of Teddy Roosevelt?

Is this the most current form of the bill that’s being voted upon? I’m not seeing any of the outfitter allotment amendments here. (Though could be missing them)

Otherwise, what admentments made it out of committee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back