Non-resident outfitter license (MT) Bill is up for hearing 2/2/2021 (SB 143)

Status
Not open for further replies.
how is it even legal to manipulate a bill to the point it's just a placeholder for failed prior attempts :rolleyes:

It's all about the bill title. If the title is broad enough, you can amend about anything into it. HB 637 is titled "Generally Revise Fish & Wildlife Statutes." That gives those who would impose their amendments a lot of leeway in what can go into a bill.

Most LC's start out as "generally revise" but get the title altered so that the sponsor remains somewhat in control of the content of the bill. Those who stay with Generally Revise run a risk of getting their bill hijacked, but also do so in case there are other issues late in the session they want to address.

I've also seen where bills get hijacked with tight titles, so it happens there as well.

Keep your heads up. Reports are that they may try to add SB 143 to HB 637.

Latest I've seen is adding 1900 wilderness NR licenses, 30% of the b10 & b11 as well as an EO to give out unlimited B10's & B11's without changing current caps (illegal).
They’re adding the 143 language into 637 in the Free Conference

They’re adding the 143 language into 637 in the Free Conference
Since I assume this will move quickly today, who needs to be contacted as part of this Conference Committee to try and head this off at the pass? Hope I used that political jargon correctly...

Guaranteed licenses for outfitted clients for this year, and permanent extra bonus points were just amended into HB 637. Let your rep and senator know what you think about this bill now.

HB 637, a catch-all bill full of problems already, was just amended to give unlimited big game combination licenses this year to outfitted hunters. It would also permanently give non-resident hunters using an outfitter an extra bonus point each year, giving them a leg up to draw big game licenses.

Public hunters made it clear this session that everybody should have an equal opportunity to hunt in Montana, and this provision is just another attempt to put outfitted clients at the front of the line.

Contact your legislator and tell them to vote NO on HB 637. This is a terrible bill with numerous problems that now once again favors wealthy hunters over others. Montanans rejected special treatment for outfitted hunters, and we spoke up this session to say we want to maintain that. Montanans welcome non-resident hunters, and believe everybody should get a fair chance to come hunt here.

You can find your legislators HERE, and go here to send them an email message telling them to vote NO on HB 637. Or you can call the capitol switchboard at 406-444-4800 and leave a message for legislators.

@Gevock - Nick, are you asking folks to contact Senators, given that is where the amendments are being introduced, or Senators and Representatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back