Non-resident Hunting and the North American Model

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
It is a crap comparison, you're right.

It would be cool to hunt a state like New York but I wouldn't pay even the current prices to do so with so little public land and only for whitetail and black bear. I can hunt both of those in wyoming and more of them without the travel. Plus I have more public land to hunt here that is less crowded. Don't have to spend a bunch of time traveling either. New York is selling a vast majority of those tags because they're cheap and because of the huge population of people that live in that part of the world.

The west is a destination that has elk, mule deer, pronghorn, sheep, goats, moose...aren't many new York hunters coming here for black bear and whitetail...and vice versa.
And yet we don't have to rape non residents in order to find our budget.
You might learn something

You're selling them cheap because they aren't worth any more than that...you could give me a nr new York deer and bear tag for free and I'm not bothering to hunt there. If there really was a decent value you'd have 380,000 hunting there instead of 38,000....and the price wouldn't be that cheap.

NR Whitetail tags in the midwest sell for wayyyyyy more than new York for a reason.

You're selling them cheap because they aren't worth any more than that...you could give me a nr new York deer and bear tag for free and I'm not bothering to hunt there. If there really was a decent value you'd have 380,000 hunting there instead of 38,000....and the price wouldn't be that cheap.

NR Whitetail tags in the midwest sell for wayyyyyy more than new York for a reason.

Dont worry Buzz, the chickens will come home to roost. A miserable old sap like yourself may not live to see it, but I might

So which is it? You say you can and will pay whatever the asking price is, but you also think that’s the wrong system.
What’s a fair system that’s in line with the NAM for states where demand outstrips supply by many times? Legitimately wondering. You’ve made it clear in this and other threads what you don’t find fair, so what is fair and follows the NAM, that’s within the realm of attainability?

So which is it? You say you can and will pay whatever the asking price is, but you also think that’s the wrong system.
What’s a fair system that’s in line with the NAM for states where demand outstrips supply by many times? Legitimately wondering. You’ve made it clear in this and other threads what you don’t find fair, so what is fair and follows the NAM, that’s within the realm of attainability?
I need to articulate "do you want a $20 elk tag" into this. mtmuley

Here is a good start

1)Random draws
2)Everyone purchases the appropriate license every year. For every state they apply in.
3)An application fee that covers the expense associated with conducting that draw. This should be the same for NR and residents as it shouldn't cost any different. This shouldn't be a cash cow.
4)75/25 resident to nonresident quota for both limited draws and general tags that have a cap.
5) Elimination of all auction tags, crony political tags, and raffle tags and outfitter set asides tags.
6) Landowner tags, will be for landowners and their families, no transferable and no unit-wide bullshit tags.
7) 4 to 1, or 5-1 nonresident to resident fee ratio. Base it on a robust budget that fully funds wildlife agency's so we will not only substain wildlife populations but grow them where it's appropriate.
8)Quotas are to be set by professionals in each states wild life departments, not by legislation.
9) Public land access and seasons are the same for anyone holding the tag.
10) No outfitter mandates ( think Alaska )

Last edited:
It is a crap comparison, you're right.

It would be cool to hunt a state like New York but I wouldn't pay even the current prices to do so with so little public land and only for whitetail and black bear. I can hunt both of those in wyoming and more of them without the travel. Plus I have more public land to hunt here that is less crowded. Don't have to spend a bunch of time traveling either. New York is selling a vast majority of those tags because they're cheap and because of the huge population of people that live in that part of the world.

The west is a destination that has elk, mule deer, pronghorn, sheep, goats, moose...aren't many new York hunters coming here for black bear and whitetail...and vice versa.
Call me overly sensitive (and I don't disagree with your overall point), but when I hunt in Wyoming, I deal with more crowds than at home. And there's tons of public land here, it's just not federal.

Our crowds stay on the trails.

🍻

Call me overly sensitive (and I don't disagree with your overall point), but when I hunt in Wyoming, I deal with more crowds than at home. And there's tons of public land here, it's just not federal.

🍻
It's never crowded where I hunt in Wyoming on public land...home field advantage I guess.

Our crowds never leave the road.

🍻
I saw about 5X more hunters this year in AK then in MA🤷‍♂️

I saw three hunters who weren't in a vehicle this year. Two guys deer hunting together while I was grouse hunting and one fellow lope hunter in an easy-to-draw doe area.

Could see that many dog hunters walking through your private property every Saturday back in NC/VA.

I'm close to the end of my hunting days but still look forward to a hunt or two in easy terrain. Also wanting to retire but concerned about future inflation. Hunted several states from the 60's through the 80's. In the early 90's I bought a place in Oregon with elk and deer out my front door. I was content just to stay home and hunt. That is until I started reading that dang Newberg. In a Bugle article he stated something that struck a chord in me. He said in so many words " the best way to keep the NAM alive is to participate". I choose Wyoming to spend my money in. Have had some some great hunts and introduced several nephews to big game hunting there. Contributed most every year to the public access fund. I think a lot of non-res do. I have 9 deer points and 6 or 7 antelope points. Not the way I wanted to do it but I'm burning them this year before the increase. It's not just the tag cost but gas and all the other expenses that are rising I need to consider. I'm going to miss those trips but most everyone has a limit on what they can spend on pleasure.
I’m in the same boat as far as nearing the end of my hunting due to age. I’m also in this years Wy elk draw, probably my last. But not because of health issues. With license prices for NR increasing and PP needed to draw increasing your every 3 or 4 year general elk hunts are gone. To the younger guys looking forward to retirement thinking you’ll have plenty of time to hunt Wy do it now. Like everything else the good old days are gone.

Trial said,

Here is a good start

1)Random draws
2)Everyone purchases the appropriate license every year. For every state they apply in.
3)An application fee that covers the expense associated with conducting that draw. This should be the same for NR and residents as it shouldn't cost any different. This shouldn't be a cash cow.
4)75/25 resident to nonresident quota for both limited draws and general tags that have a cap.
5) Elimination of all auction tags, crony political tags, and raffle tags and outfitter set asides tags.
6) Landowner tags, will be for landowners and their families, no transferable and no unit-wide bullshit tags.
7) 4 to 1, or 5-1 nonresident to resident fee ratio. Base it on a robust budget that fully funds wildlife agency's so we will not only substain wildlife populations but grow them where it's appropriate.
8)Quotas are to be set by professionals in each states wild life departments, not by legislation.
9) Public land access and seasons are the same for anyone holding the tag.
10) No outfitter mandates ( think Alaska )

Sounds ok to me. The NA model is about everyone being able to hunt. Everybody gets a chance, not just the wealthy. This is actually better than we have now as who knows how many out of state hunters hunt in CO, our two over the counter seasons are unlimited. Points to shoot some antlers are nutty. F+G budgets are bloated, we don't need NR money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back