Caribou Gear Tarp

No non-resident hunting on Wyoming wilderness unless you have a Guide - when are you all going to fight this?

Not sure why you keep making this assertion. I’ll bet you a case of beer if you ran a poll on here you’d find the majority think it’s a stupid law.
Yep a really crap law. But, much worse - the NR "unguided" quotas in NM we've been dealt. That's "everywhere" not just wilderness areas.

Montana's NR allocation of the big 3 units and quota.. yeah, I'm not going to side with any NR on that.

JLS, I sincerely apologize about pointing out and making fun of your 6,000 posts. Now you're up to 6,710 !!! Are you going to shoot for the magical 6,711? Wow, I've only got 0.001432 of posts compared to you. Maybe if you'd get off the computer, actually go hunting, grow up and then maybe comeback here with some experience under your belt, you could be taken more seriously

The topic is worth discussion. That said, you might want to pack your keyboard and go somewhere else, if your first ten posts are an indicator of your demeanor and method of interaction with others.

I own the joint and right now you're on a fast track to join Freddy from yesterday.

Not sure why you keep making this assertion. I’ll bet you a case of beer if you ran a poll on here you’d find the majority think it’s a stupid law.

I think it's a stupid law, but I dont live in Wyoming. For less than a non resident point I can sheep hunt right up to the Wyoming line every year though so I'll just have to get over it.

The topic is worth discussion. That said, you might want to pack your keyboard and go somewhere else, if your first ten posts are an indicator of your demeanor and method of interaction with others.

I own the joint and right now you're on a fast track to join Freddy from yesterday.

Don’t ban him, I need a case of beer to take to Idaho in a couple of weeks.

In an attempt to steer this back...

I think I would be ok with the WY rule if amended so that guides weren't allowed to take clients in non-wilderness portions of their guide areas, their guide area contained xxxx acres of wilderness. I'm not sure how big a guide area is, but if for instance a guide's area was composed of the bighorns he/she would only be allowed to take clients in the Cloud Peak Wilderness area. If a guide's unit was mostly BLM then the rule wouldn't apply.

Seems like it would alleviate tensions between guided and unguided NR, I think what really gets under my skin is the fact a guide might not be taking his clients into the wilderness and competing with your for elk, when they have a huge area at their disposal that your not allowed to go.

Obviously, there isn't a real incentive for WY residents to vote for/push for the change other than wanting to be 'fair'.

Dude,

You sound like the real deal to me. Can you post up a few pictures of your better Wyoming wilderness hunts so I can get a feel for what we are missing? Thanks!
He definitely seems like the real deal to me . . . Judging by his handle, I’m sure it’s that guy that just stabbed that mountain lion in Colorado with his pocket knife.

Last edited:
Kind of hilarious, as well as predictable that the online forum wizards always run and seek shelter under the skirt of the administrator when someone comes along and has a differing point of view. Sending alerts to the Mods, calling for someone to be banned, posting witty GIF's, etc. Hard to take your kind seriously, but it does offer some laughs.

Like I said, always predictable...

62806b314640168c8904a31aeb472f2a7be0ad3446012aaa4b28d3881a3e0442.jpg

Also the trade off being that getting rid of guiding on public would A. Be very detrimental to local economies and B. Would make it virtually impossible for anyone to go on some hunts, and very difficult for NR to go on a lot of hunts.

Everything is a balance, guided public land hunting has its place in our multi use system.
I'd be curious with the go hunt, onx, and some others that don't support Fin, how true this is anymore.

I guy can rent Llama from Beau Beatty( guys this is how you stay on Fin good side), check out some E-scouting you tube, download your onx, and roll on. You gan use sat phones, or equivalent to stay in touch.

I think the guide stuff, and equivalents are more of a relic to a time passed. I find it hard to believe without them, NR hunting # would plummet.

I'd be curious with the go hunt, onx, and some others that don't support Fin, how true this is anymore.

I guy can rent Llama from Beau Beatty( guys this is how you stay on Fin good side), check out some E-scouting you tube, download your onx, and roll on. You gan use sat phones, or equivalent to stay in touch.

I think the guide stuff, and equivalents are more of a relic to a time passed. I find it hard to believe without them, NR hunting # would plummet.

I see your point, I’m actually renting llamas this fall to go into a wilderness area in CO.

But would beau’s operation be able to support all of the guided hunters that come to the state every years? Let alone the west, there are maybe 12-20 llama rentals in the entire mountain west. Even then you have to have a truck or van that can pull or transport stock.

The area I’m going is still going to be too far for most hunters, to walk on foot even if everything was carried by stock.

This is just talking about the Rockies, what about Alaska? What about guided fishing?

Where do you draw the line with transporters versus guiding? If a guide has to switch over to just doing drop camps either by plane or by horse does he have to be accompanied by the hunter to drop off the camp? If so he is limited to a pretty limited number of clients a season, how much are people willing to spend to do just a drop camp, is that amount enough to keep the guides in business, they often have slim margins as it is...

I’m honestly not trying to beat you over the head with this, I’m just trying to show a few reasons why it’s complex. I have gotten to have some amazing experiences in the backcountry and I want others to get to see that country and do those things, and if they need some help to get it done I don’t begrudge them that.

Trying to eliminate guides because someone thinks they are irrelevant or shouldn’t be allowed is just as ridiculous as the law disallowing NR’s from wilderness areas. If hunters want to use an outfitter that’s great. I just don’t want to have to in order to hunt legally.

I see your point, I’m actually renting llamas this fall to go into a wilderness area in CO.

But would beau’s operation be able to support all of the guided hunters that come to the state every years? Let alone the west, there are maybe 12-20 llama rentals in the entire mountain west. Even then you have to have a truck or van that can pull or transport stock.

The area I’m going is still going to be too far for most hunters, to walk on foot even if everything was carried by stock.

This is just talking about the Rockies, what about Alaska? What about guided fishing?

Where do you draw the line with transporters versus guiding? If a guide has to switch over to just doing drop camps either by plane or by horse does he have to be accompanied by the hunter to drop off the camp? If so he is limited to a pretty limited number of clients a season, how much are people willing to spend to do just a drop camp, is that amount enough to keep the guides in business, they often have slim margins as it is...

I’m honestly not trying to beat you over the head with this, I’m just trying to show a few reasons why it’s complex. I have gotten to have some amazing experiences in the backcountry and I want others to get to see that country and do those things, and if they need some help to get it done I don’t begrudge them that.
I'd sure like it if my state limited all out of state companies from bidding and working.

I've always felt like when compared to other industries of public ground guides have fairly little buy in. A state license and liability return little to the resource. Especially if compared to $5k deer, $10k elk, etc, etc.

Private ground should do what they want.

Business always follows demand. There were probably 0 llama rentals 10 years ago.
Good luck in Colorado

In an attempt to steer this back...

I think I would be ok with the WY rule if amended so that guides weren't allowed to take clients in non-wilderness portions of their guide areas, their guide area contained xxxx acres of wilderness. I'm not sure how big a guide area is, but if for instance a guide's area was composed of the bighorns he/she would only be allowed to take clients in the Cloud Peak Wilderness area. If a guide's unit was mostly BLM then the rule wouldn't apply.

Seems like it would alleviate tensions between guided and unguided NR, I think what really gets under my skin is the fact a guide might not be taking his clients into the wilderness and competing with your for elk, when they have a huge area at their disposal that your not allowed to go.

Obviously, there isn't a real incentive for WY residents to vote for/push for the change other than wanting to be 'fair'.

Aren’t the guides already limited to a certain geographic area even in the wilderness areas? I thought they were.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back